Reefie's LB26

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
reefie
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Reefie's LB26

Post by reefie » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:07 am

From a safety aspect, I will want the boat to be unsinkable.
My initial thought is this will best be achieved by incorporating closed cell pourable marine flotation foam in the build, but I am open to other ideas if another technique offers superior benefits.

"If you want something you have never had, then you've got to do something you've never done"

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:23 pm

Jacques can tell you where to put the 2 part closed cell form for upright flotation.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:38 pm

It is my understanding boats over 20 foot do not require it. I was really surprised when I went through my buddies 34 foot California. Not a single water tight bulkhead in the entire boat :help: Boats over 30 years old so I guess it works :doh:
Modern sailboats don't have watertight bulkheads either. I'm not familiar with the rules on powerboats.
A thoughtful article can be found here as to why not: https://www.morganscloud.com/2013/08/19 ... bulkheads/

In the case of the breach in the hull of my boat in the Atlantic, the crack was immediately under the main bulkhead and would have eventually flooded both the forepeak and the saloon, so a watertight bulkhead would have been of no value. In addition, the volume of water that would enter the unprotected cabin would render the boat completely unmanageable and vulnerable to the swell. It is conceivable, but unlikely, that the hull would at that point provide a usable and safe habitat until SAR arrived.
Tony

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:52 pm

My boat has watertights, but as an annoying LB26 plan owner; I had wondered if LB26 could be built with watertights. Perhaps impractical...

It is a real beauty; I am super glad to see a build.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

reefie
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by reefie » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:21 am

Well Christmas and New Year has come and gone. Hope it was a rewarding and relaxing time for all. We were inundated with visitors over this period, so to avoid being antisocial, no work was done on the boat while they were here. I still have my mother-in-law here, but I have been a bit naughty and snuck up to the shed a few times to put in an hour or two here and there - luckily I think I got away without offending her or my wife :wink:

Well I have managed to fill all the gaps in the bottom plates and begin work on the built-in spray rails. It wont be long and I will be able to start planking up the topside plates with Divinycell. I have mixed emotions about this phase; on the one hand I am really looking forward finalising the hull, but I have never used foam before so I am a bit apprehensive too.

Anyway, here are some pics for those of us who love to see photos of each others builds.

Started planning down the port chine - I'm about halfway from the bow to the stern. I am yet to do the starboard side.

The planned down port forward section.

The aft chine section yet to be planned down.

Happy building :D
Last edited by reefie on Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you want something you have never had, then you've got to do something you've never done"

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:28 am

Reefie, Happy New Year and welcome back!! Beautiful work!! Jeff

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:26 am

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) .....

Do you know SV Sonja from Port Augusta WA?

Completed R13 two part nesting rowboat. ST 21 under construction .... where seeking perfection is recognized as the enemy of the good.

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:14 am

Thing looks great!

Are u cutting strips of foam?

I was able to safely table saw cut it-corecell M 5#.

I use the hot glue gun like a tack welder, too.

Dan
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

reefie
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by reefie » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:02 am

Thanks guys.

Do you know SV Sonja from Port Augusta WA?
Hi GB, no I don't... but do mean from Port Augusta SA, or Augusta WA?

Are u cutting strips of foam?
Yes Dan I will, but I still havn't decided on the width yet - I'm thinking 50mm wide to make for a fair surface on the tumblehome and bow flair.
Also thinking of tapering the long edges and butting each plank up to the next with the groove facing outwards and then and filling this with glue mix?

Cheers,
Reefie

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:29 am

Ooops. Augusta WA. In the new marina.
Completed R13 two part nesting rowboat. ST 21 under construction .... where seeking perfection is recognized as the enemy of the good.