RB14 by Kyla (with a little help from dad)

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
jtdums
Active Poster
Active Poster

RB14 by Kyla (with a little help from dad)

Post by jtdums » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:55 am

I've benefited a lot from lurking on the forums for years so I'm going to try to do a better job documenting our RB14 build. Not a lot of posts out there on this boat so maybe it can help someone else along the way. Geir did a beautiful job on his and I thank him for his posts that keep us motivated.

I'm also trying to now use a new image host since photobucket yanked the rug from under so many of us. Bear with me.

Here is the RB14 CNC kit unpackaged. CNC kit is great. One problem caused by shipping was super quickly resolved by Bateau and we are off and building.

Japanese pull saw was the weapon of choice to "remove" parts from plywood. Constructive 2 cents would be to recommend that "tabs" that hold the pieces to surrounding plywood be on only straight runs so they are easier to cut. No big deal, just feedback.

Skipping a few steps in the building of the strongback, but the CNC kit comes with forms and they are a breeze to set up.
Laser level used to project a dot through the alignment holes ensuring setup.

Lots of zip ties and a few additional holes. Nails into molds along center line help to keep panels from overlapping. Not shown are the puzzle joints on the panels for joining together. Super fast and accurate way to make them up. Let me just put in a plug for the CNC kit again. Everything just works. No second guessing. I did add an extra layer to the transom, but that thickness was deducted from the stringers prior to "planking" so the side panels still lined up. The bow isn't an easy bend, but the Okoume bs1088 is such a great quality that it will make it with patience.

RB14 is designed with a barrel back so the panels must be kerfed to take the bend to the transom.

Panel intersections tabbed, and filled hull taking shape.

Barrel filled and partially faired.

Fiberglass day! Strips and cloth precut. No pictures of process since we were too sticky.

Glass on and working on "fenders". This was just a proof of concept. Thickness doubled for final attachment of fenders.
All glass went on "wet on wet" with recommended schedule and was covered with peel ply for cure.

Keel of Douglas Fir and two layers of tape.

Fairing...nuff said. Lot of "dad" time on this phase. :) Not that I blame her.

Transom and back 1/2 of chine "squared" with thickened epoxy.

Fairing and sealing hull.

Transom drain over filled and redrilled.

Epoxy Primer going on. Strong stuff. Respirators required for sure.

Epoxy primer rolls out well and really seals the hull. Shows up any last imperfections and pin holes to be fixed before recoat of hull.

Looking good after the first coat.

That's all for now. Will be re-coating primer and bottom paint before flip. (Boat will be in the water for a couple of months each year.)
We are very happy with the project and speed thus far. Things will slow down after the flip since there is a lot more detail work down the road.

Sanding is cathartic...

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: RB14 by Kyla (with a little help from dad)

Post by glossieblack » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:06 pm

Welcome to the Builders Power Boat section of the forum. Your build is looking great, and your documentation will be useful for those who follow. :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

peter-curacao
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by peter-curacao » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:28 pm

Sweet!! 8) Looking great so far! thank you very much for posting progress and pictures

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:22 pm

Really nice work Kyla!!!! Thank you for the well documented build and please keep the photo's coming in!! Jeff

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:07 pm

Very nice work Kyla and welcome to the forum. Thank you for the pictures and documentation. They are always helpful to those who follow in your foot steps.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:14 pm

Looking good so far!
Can't wait to see it all come together for you.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:04 pm

Awesome Young Lady!!! :D

cape man

Post by cape man » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:05 pm

I really like that design and you've done an excellent job so far. Can't wait to see the rest of this. What a great thing to do with your Dad. I would continue to have him do the sanding and fairing. Very smart. 8)
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

jtdums
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jtdums » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:39 pm

Bottom Paint is on the hull. Level was shot with the laser and taped off. Nice clean line. Boat will get a boot stripe and maybe red on the topsides eventually.

Rubrail is up next while the bottom paint cures and then the flip!
Sanding is cathartic...

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:47 pm

Very nice!! Jeff