FS14 Wolf's build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Capt UB
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: FS14 Wolf's build

Post by Capt UB » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:12 pm

Get to work on boat tonight!!!

My Sister is taking Mom to the movies!

Home built boats, get their personality from the builder... My boat is NUTS!!! FS14, getting wet soon.... Next build; LM18 (Laguna Madre Skiff 18). This is a beautiful designed boat.

cape_fisherman
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by cape_fisherman » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:45 pm

3M 2090 blue is the tape to use...according to a friend of mine. He also rattled off other 3M tapes, as well as a couple other brands, that he felt all had more issues than the 2090. Some don't stick well enough...others are too slick for paint and allows it to "slide off" the tape a bit (which builds up along the edge).

The guy I got that information from was just in Liberia where he was finish rigging a sportfisher he built in NC, put it on a cargo ship, and watched it sail across the Atlantic to be delivered to his client. I trust his advise...

I also looked up another post from the past to put things into perspective. A local custom, wood sportfish builder (of which there are quite a few in my neck of the woods) spent about $32,000 in tape & masking paper on a 60' boat they built. The theme around here is "buy the good stuff...you only want to do this paint sh*t once".

Capt UB
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Capt UB » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:26 pm

Got the fuel tank compartment sanded. Too wet outside to roll on a coat of epoxy to seal the wood. Thats the last of the build, other then fairing and painting.

I'm going to see how the boat handles before installing the skig. I had forgot to install it before doing the graphite/epoxy coat on bottom.
0608181950~2.jpg
0608182001b~2.jpg
Home built boats, get their personality from the builder... My boat is NUTS!!! FS14, getting wet soon.... Next build; LM18 (Laguna Madre Skiff 18). This is a beautiful designed boat.

Capt UB
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Capt UB » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:33 pm

About fairing the outside of the hull....

I put on a coat of QuickFair a few months ago. Sanded it, then it got cold. Has been uncovered, lots of sun.

Sand with 120, then QuickFair... Primer... paint...
0608182001a~2.jpg
0608182001~2.jpg

23mako
New Poster
New Poster

Post by 23mako » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:45 am

Very beautiful build Capt.

I have a few questions if you don't mind answering (I cannot seem to locate the answers anywhere else :D )

Is the sole just the "floor" of the boat? Does the sole add the support that is taken away without the middle bench?

Will this hull be self bailing?

If these questions are answered anywhere else please point me there...just haven't been able to find them!

Thank you Capt and I hope your mom is doing well!

Capt UB
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Capt UB » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:03 am

23mako wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:45 am
Very beautiful build Capt.

I have a few questions if you don't mind answering (I cannot seem to locate the answers anywhere else :D )

Is the sole just the "floor" of the boat? Does the sole add the support that is taken away without the middle bench?

Will this hull be self bailing?

If these questions are answered anywhere else please point me there...just haven't been able to find them!

Thank you Capt and I hope your mom is doing well!

Thank you, she is doing much better.

This hull is self bailing only with the sole/cockpit floor drains. There are three drains that connect to PVC under the floor, first one is in the front deck compartment, one just aft of the front deck and last one just forward of the aft deck. The drain line goes to a closed off bilge box with pump and thur hull out. So no, it's not self bailing, it needs the bilge pump to remove water from boat. The top of the aft deck will be self bailing, just have not cutout scuffers.

I have seen a few FS14 with out the bench and no frames. Not a good idea, JM wants at lest 3" of the frames from the bench. I did add a bit more frames under the floor. The sole is glued to the frames and taped to the hull (foam under the floor too). The rubrail is 3/4" x 1.50" outside and 1/2" x 2" strengthening wale inside the hull, 1.50" total thickness.

Also, I glassed the whole outside of the hull.

Time will tell if I did wrong! Next year I plan on building JM Classic 17 C17, I will be following the plans completely. Any changes will go though JM first.

Now for a Little Sole..... Sometimes it just easier to say what other use.... Check this definition out...
https://forums.iboats.com/forum/general ... part-names

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:42 pm

23mako wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:45 am
The novice boat builders here refer to the sole as the bottom part of the boat that is above the stringers and frames. It is called the sole as in the bottom deck of the cockpit or floor. In most cases it offers support to the hull but does not take the place of the frames that support the sides of the boat, if the plans calls for them then they need to be there just cut down to a minimum for the sole.

23mako
New Poster
New Poster

Post by 23mako » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:07 am

Thank you very much for the info gentlemen. Makes a lot more sense now! Really looking forward to the final result Capt! :D

Capt UB
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Capt UB » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:31 pm

23mako wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:07 am
Thank you very much for the info gentlemen. Makes a lot more sense now! Really looking forward to the final result Capt! :D
What type of boating do you do or looking to do?

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:18 am

Capt. UB was hoping for an update on how much fairing you got done while singing old sailor songs! :D

I got to finish taping my aft frame I started a few weeks ago and double, triple check the alignment of the next frame, may tack it in this morning.

Oh, the closed bilge box is what I am also doing but it will be for an auxiliary bilge pump. My main bilge will be two stations forward with overflow drain to the aux. Because I will also have the fore deck drain tube I am thinking of adding to small drains near the chines and each side forward of the console. The two aft frames will have small limber holes to drain back to the aux bilge and out the garboard drain on the transom when trailered.

OQ