FS14 Wolf's build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: FS14 Wolf's build

Post by Capt UB » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:41 am

thb wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:56 am
Bob,

I am not sure I interpreted your posting correctly. Is that picture of the motor after you already lowered it 2 inches?

What is with those funky cap screws?

Regards
Tom

:lol: :lol:
Just the hold down backing plate removed. Cutting down 2" tonight. Two inches will be at the bottom of the hull. So all will be good. Tom (TomW1) was right about using the smaller pitch 7.5. I too close to the transom to be that high off the hull bottom also. Going back to basics!!

As for my "funky cap screws", they are allen head and the other is the thru bolts (already removed) everybody should have on! I have never liked the lockdown bolts OB's come with.

><((((º>¸.•´¯`•><((((º> ¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º> ¸.•´¯`•.><((((º>

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:18 am

I remember Capt UB you posting about not liking the OB bolts they come with. You may want to see if you can get something in the same metal as the OEM bolts if you are concerned with the bolts rusting.

I am very confused about your posting on your tiny tach not working :doh:

You are getting a reading just not correct RPMs? It doesn't read anymore?

Your first run with the tach worked! just seemed to be off by half. The tach measures time between spark pulses. At 360 and wrapped around one wire. If the tach is programmed to see a pulse every 1 second then it knows that is XXX rpms. but if it is seeing that pulse every 2 seconds then it thinks it is half the RPMs. You need to program the tach to a longer delay between pulses and go back to wrapping it around one wire only.

With you stating that the motor is sitting to high I am guessing the prop is venting and causing the motor to reach max rpm. That is why you were getting 3000 RPM, half of max. You also stated you have been around outboards enough so you should know if your motor is idling to high or to low.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:42 am

OrangeQuest wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:18 am
I remember Capt UB you posting about not liking the OB bolts they come with. You may want to see if you can get something in the same metal as the OEM bolts if you are concerned with the bolts rusting.

I am very confused about your posting on your tiny tach not working :doh:

You are getting a reading just not correct RPMs? It doesn't read anymore?

Your first run with the tach worked! just seemed to be off by half. The tach measures time between spark pulses. At 360 and wrapped around one wire. If the tach is programmed to see a pulse every 1 second then it knows that is XXX rpms. but if it is seeing that pulse every 2 seconds then it thinks it is half the RPMs. You need to program the tach to a longer delay between pulses and go back to wrapping it around one wire only.

With you stating that the motor is sitting to high I am guessing the prop is venting and causing the motor to reach max rpm. That is why you were getting 3000 RPM, half of max. You also stated you have been around outboards enough so you should know if your motor is idling to high or to low.

The bolts are steel from the factory.... The allen head bolts work great. Most thieves don't carry big allens with them, but vice grips will work but so much is in the way, it takes time!!!

The none of the TinyTach systems work on this type of spark system, they have not kept up with the new OB systems. Going to buy a Tohatsu made one for $ 100 and use the TT on my new 2018 lawn tractor, which has an old school engine!

I'm talking about height and setback, when talking about the OB being to close to the transom and too high. This has to do with the water leaving the bottom of the hull and rising up. This is a subject for another time.

As for knowing what an OB sounds like at a idle or WOT, depends on so many things; manufacturer, 2 stroke, 4 stroke, old ears, old motor, new motor..... Tohatsu are (I Think) nosier then Yamahas..... My 2003 Yamaha 60 4 stroke was so quite, I sometimes tried to start it when it was already running!!

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:27 am

OooooH! kay! :D
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

txjm
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by txjm » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:52 pm

"The none of the TinyTach systems work on this type of spark system, they have not kept up with the new OB systems. Going to buy a Tohatsu made one for $ 100 and use the TT on my new 2018 lawn tractor, which has an old school engine!"

The link below is the tach I used. I was successful in using it on a 5hp Merc 2 stroke, 18hp Tohatsu 2 stroke and a 20hp Tohatsu 4 stroke. One setting change.

https://www.hardlineproducts.com/produc ... ach-meter/

Chip

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:36 pm

Will sand the cutout rounder and glass/epoxy.

Stearing clear and lifted up motor is clear.
Transom cut down 2.5".
1031181754a~2.jpg
1031181754~2.jpg
1031181755b~2.jpg
1031181755a~2.jpg
1031181812~2.jpg
1031181813a~2.jpg
1031181816a~2.jpg
1031181816b~2.jpg
1031181815b~2.jpg
Now it's just right!
1031181810~2.jpg
The transom cutout pieces.
1031181806~2.jpg
1031181805~2.jpg

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:39 pm

txjm wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:52 pm
"The none of the TinyTach systems work on this type of spark system, they have not kept up with the new OB systems. Going to buy a Tohatsu made one for $ 100 and use the TT on my new 2018 lawn tractor, which has an old school engine!"

The link below is the tach I used. I was successful in using it on a 5hp Merc 2 stroke, 18hp Tohatsu 2 stroke and a 20hp Tohatsu 4 stroke. One setting change.

https://www.hardlineproducts.com/produc ... ach-meter/

Chip
Thanks Chip.
For a few more dollars, I can buy a Tohatsu tach, made for this motor!

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:44 pm

Bob looks like you have the ventilation plate even with the bottom. I agree buying a proper tach is not much more than buying a TT. Send the TT back for a refund.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:49 pm

TomW1 wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:44 pm
Bob looks like you have the ventilation plate even with the bottom. I agree buying a proper tach is not much more than buying a TT. Send the TT back for a refund.

Tom

The TT is going on my new lawn tractor.
1021181746a.jpg

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:29 pm

Now that is a machine.! :D

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978