The Plytanic 2.0 - FS17 Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: The Plytanic 2.0 - FS17 Build

Post by pee wee » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:06 am

Sounds like you're dealing with it, not really a set back as much as being thorough takes more time than you anticipated. Your photo shows the level placed perpendicular to the keel, I assume you've also checked for flatness fore and aft, as that is more important.

Looking good, build on. 8)

Hank

silentneko
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by silentneko » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:15 am

That's just where I set the level down so it wouldn't slide off. Every correction I'm working on is based on fore to aft leveling. Part of this is the stringer issue, because they didn't match the top of the frames they don't really support anything under it, hence the sagging between the frames along the keel. The sags on the outside are more due to the corrections I needed to make with the ply being out of square.
This is my first time using okoume, I've used meranti in the past. I went with the more expensive ply because of the weight savings. However one characteristic is it's more flexible then the meranti, great for making the bends, but with the frames being set 36" apart it doesn't have the rigidity to stay flat as well.
Built: 15ft Skiff, 16ft Skiff, Modified Cheap Canoe.....FS17 coming soon!

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:14 am

You are right about the okoume. It is nice and flexible which I agree makes for nice bends but can cause some”ripples” when unsupported as you describe.

Some of that seamed to disappear when the boat I am building was flipped and the stringers and frames and gravity helped to stretch everything a little bit. Then once the inside seams got taped everything stiffened up. Then the inside fiberglass cloth made it even better. Once the stringers got glassed in it got very strong.

I have come to appreciate that this building technique makes for a very solid boat since every time something is added it gets taped in and the boat gets progressively stronger and stiffer. I remember Fishgtr recently comparing his fs18’s performance to a Hell’s bay boat and him commenting on the differences being readily apparent from less vibration and rattling.

Your build is looking really good. Keep it up!

silentneko
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by silentneko » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:22 am

The monocoque structure adds tons of strength no doubt. Thing is the rippling needs to be dealt with prior to flipping, or you can't really fair the hull before painting. If I had the resources and room I would flip.it, install the stringers, then flip it back and then fair, but that's not practical.

I think it might not be a bad idea given the materials to decrease the frame spacing to 24". I would have gladly cut another frame or 2 over having to do filling.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:43 pm

I recall reading that some builders have screwed in a temporary 2x4 to flatten out the planing portion of the hull until it gets glassed. You'd have to crawl under there to install it, but is that a possibility?
Hank

silentneko
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by silentneko » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:15 pm

It would have been prior to glassing. Or even prior to hull panel assembly. I've already done my glassing, and most of the filling, so it's to late for me.

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:56 pm

I took a 6ft straight edge to the back of my boat now that the glass is on and cured.

I had ~1/8" hook give or take all the way across.
I re-read the plans and up to 1/4" is acceptable.
I went back and looked at your pictures and it looks from the marks on your tape that is about what you had as well.

I am just figuring it out as I go, but if I read your marks right and I read the plans correctly I think we are in good shape and no need to sweat the small variations?

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:16 am

I think Narfi called this one correct. I recall JM stating he knows there will be a little hook with all the tape build up at the transom. I think he even stated he counts on it for running trim. Just my memory here and I could be mistaken.

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:28 pm

Any progress on your chines?
I was hoping to start cutting some trial triangles this weekend but wasn't able to make the time.(energy)

silentneko
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by silentneko » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:03 pm

Fuzz wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:16 am
I think Narfi called this one correct. I recall JM stating he knows there will be a little hook with all the tape build up at the transom. I think he even stated he counts on it for running trim. Just my memory here and I could be mistaken.
If that were the case I'd leave it, but I don't have hook, I have rocker. Even with the tape built up the transom drops about 1/8", so to make it more level I filled it. It looks fairly level now.