The Plytanic 2.0 - FS17 Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
silentneko
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: The Plytanic 2.0 - FS17 Build

Post by silentneko » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:42 pm

Thanks, the cooler sets in the top about 1.5" down. I'll use a few cam buckles on the sides to keep her from jumping around.

Built: 15ft Skiff, 16ft Skiff, Modified Cheap Canoe.....FS17 coming soon!

Rtorres2411
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rtorres2411 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:10 pm

Looking real nice 8) .

Bogieman
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bogieman » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:20 pm

Your work is always so clean it's like you're building furniture. I really like your cooler / leaning post set up.

Dan_Smullen
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Dan_Smullen » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:28 pm

Very nice! The best details are functional and look good. Like the toe kick.

Where you able to seal the end grain of the ply where it meets the deck? Seems like even with fillets all the way around, there’s still be potential for the base to wick moisture.

silentneko
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by silentneko » Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:22 pm

Thanks, you guys are to kind. Sealing end grain is not an issue, resin soaks into it readily, and I've never had a failure from it in all these years.

So I can't believe it's been 2 weeks since I had a chance to touch the boat. Well not much has changed. I am still working on the cooler stand, I wasn't quite happy with it, and wanted to change it just a little. I did route it just to see what it would look like, and I think it's nice.

On the choice of materials, I did decide to change. I was in lowes, and found they carry 3/4" Luan panels. It's of similar weight and density to the okoume I'm using, and what I built my first boat out of. I think it will do better then the pine panel and it's actually 3/4" instead of 5/8".

I was working on cutting out and matching the parts using the flush bit on my router, when disaster struck again. The bearing seized again and ruined both parts. It's not a huge deal, or expense, but I'll need to get another panel tomorrow to finish. This is the 3rd bit I've burnt up on this build, at $40 each it's starting to hurt, lol.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:03 pm

The boat looks incredible! Sorry about the burnt brg. Nothing lasts anymore.

silentneko
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by silentneko » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:58 pm

So the saga of the cooler rack/stand, lol.

I first made it out of a project panel and decided I wanted to change it a bit. So I rebuilt it out of luan. Well I had the router bit bearing failure that ruined it, So I bought a new panel. I recut everything, got it all routed and glued together, went to test fit and realized I'm a dumbass! The project panel I originally made it from was 5/8", but the luan is 3/4", so I lost a 1/4". This made it to tight on the edge of the cooler and while it would fit, it would rub and take off any finish I put on. Sooooo I rebuild it a 4th time and made it 3/8" wider.

So now that that's over let me explain how I came to my design. I actually looked at the cooler. So here is a pic of a typical aluminum cooler rack. You'll notice the cooler is only supported by the 2 bars going across the bottom. So for the entire cooler it only has 4 points of contact maybe 1" wide.

Here is the bottom of the cooler, it looks like it's molded so it has reinforcement around the outer edges.

I decided to support the ends and have 3 more 2" wide supports in the middle. The white filled circles towards the bottom are for the bungee cord, just a single one about 1.5" high to keep flippers from sliding out. The end supports have a cutout to feed the strap through to hold the cooler.