The Plytanic 2.0 - FS17 Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
silentneko
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: The Plytanic 2.0 - FS17 Build

Post by silentneko » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:04 pm

I made some progress, but it took a while to get sorted. I tried to just butt join parts as I went along, but it made an odd angle along the curves. The same thing happened when I tried to just kerf cut the areas that needed the most bending. So I ended up splicing 3 sections using 45 degree angles, the forward sections were tapered the last few inches. I shortened them a little from my original plans after some thinking to 140". So it all bent evenly I kerf cut them every 4 inches.

Splicing

Attached

They are about 5/8" high and 1.5" wide.

Shaped and filled

Glassed

I'm fairly happy with the outcome. In the pics it looks a little uneven because of the shading of the wood and filler, but once it gets faired and painted on color it will look pretty good.

Built: 15ft Skiff, 16ft Skiff, Modified Cheap Canoe.....FS17 coming soon!

silentneko
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by silentneko » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:55 pm

I'm pretty much done with glass work now on the outside. I decided to add a second layer of glass to the chines since they are made of wood this will give them plenty of protection. If a strike happens hard enough to damage them they will be easy enough to repair, but they will act as a sacrificial part to keep the damage away from the hull. They will get coated in HBN/Epoxy too.

Next I turned my attention to the drain plug tube I made earlier. I'm glassing it in now so I can fair it smooth along with that whole area.

I think I marked it straight? LOL, it's kind of hard to tell after applying thickened epoxy to level the hull. It might be 1/16" off which is good enough.

I am just gluing it in on the top right now, I'll go back later and fill the area around it. This turned out to be the best way to keep it in place. I left it proud by about 1/4" this was I can fair all around it, then grind it level when done.

silentneko
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by silentneko » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:46 pm

Time to itch. Sanded the bottom to get it ready for the first coat of fairing compound.

silentneko
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by silentneko » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:04 pm

I got a bit of fairing compound spread out, just a skim coat to start. I think I'm mixing it to thick, I went through about 1/3 my mix just to do this. I have some left over west systems fairing mix and some glass microspheres I can use once I run out. Hopefully it will be enough, if not I'll order some more soon.

I think I'm going to roll on a neat coat or two to the sides to get them closer prior to fairing them. I do have a wave on each side toward the stern where I tried to fix some gaps, nothing major, but I need to decide if I will fix it or not.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:12 pm

Nice initial fairing work Silentneko!!! Jeff

Bogieman
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bogieman » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:13 pm

Looking good, Silentneko! BTW, always curious about clever"handles". Care to to enlighten on it?? I also wanted to mention that the FS17 is one of my favorite powerboat designs and I actually bought the FS17 plans one year ago. I studied the FS17 plans for several months before making the decision to go with the AD16 sailboat. Anyway, the hull is looking great and I'll be following your build along the way.

Bogie

silentneko
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by silentneko » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:03 am

Nothing to clever about my handle really. Neko is cat in Japanese. I'm a big guy, but in my youth I walked soft and was fairly quiet. I'm more of a bull in a China shop now, lol. Being around friends who were all into martial arts I got the nickname Neko.

I love the look of the FS series. Even though it may not be the best design for my needs, I still decided to move forward with some mods. Hope it all works how I plan, lol. Thanks.

silentneko
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by silentneko » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:26 pm

Fairing is fun....right?

I sanded the bottom with the 5" orbital sander, it really did smooth it out a lot, but I wouldn't call it faired.

I applied a second, slightly thicker, coat of fairing mix. Here it is applied to the port side.

I also decided to fix a few spots on the sides. Hopefully it all works out.

Bogieman
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bogieman » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:05 pm

silentneko wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:03 am
Nothing to clever about my handle really. Neko is cat in Japanese. I'm a big guy, but in my youth I walked soft and was fairly quiet. I'm more of a bull in a China shop now, lol. Being around friends who were all into martial arts I got the nickname Neko...
:lol:

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:01 am

silentneko wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:26 pm
Fairing is fun....right?
I sanded the bottom with the 5" orbital sander, it really did smooth it out a lot, but I wouldn't call it faired.
Fairing is even less fun if you use a longboard, but you know it's going to do a better job . . .
Hank