The Plytanic 2.0 - FS17 Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
silentneko
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: The Plytanic 2.0 - FS17 Build

Post by silentneko » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:31 pm

Extra glass it is.

Here are the stringers tacked in place. The blue tape are marking from me trying to figure out some measurements and layouts.

I realized something that I feel is pretty cool. I can fit a 5 gallon bucket under the front deck. This is not normal for a small boat, but presents a great opportunity for storing cast nets and anchors.

Here you can see the filling I had to do under the stringers. I've leveled it all out and can finish glassing now

Built: 15ft Skiff, 16ft Skiff, Modified Cheap Canoe.....FS17 coming soon!

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:09 pm

Very nice, clean work silentneko!!! Jeff

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:25 am

Just like Jeff said nice clean work :D

silentneko
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by silentneko » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:27 pm

Not to much progress has been made. I had to bow out for a few days with family issues and a back injury, but I'm back at it. It is ridiculously hot out, so much so I went and bought a portable AC system for the garage. Well It sucks, it's only 8000 btu's which isn't enough to chill it out, but I didn't need it to be cold, I'd be happy if it could lower it to around 80. Well it was only able to lower it by about 2 degrees from outside, not enough for me to care so I'm returning it.

The only thing I've really done is finished glassing the stringers. They are glassed and tabbed into the transom. I went the extra mile and used 6oz woven to cover the areas of the stringers that weren't covered by the tape. I hate the idea of any exposed wood (resin coated only) in an area that will be exposed to moisture often.

So here we go back to the stringer issues. I looked over many build threads and I can see a lot of people have had the same issue and just rolled with it. Some have had issues with the floor sloping forward and collecting water at rest. Well Because I went back to the drawing board and redid my stringers I think I'll be good. You can see in the previous post how much I had to fill the areas towards the bow. This is because I corrected the stern portion to be level with the baseline instead of sloping towards the bow. Long story short, it was more work, but I know it will work well and should drain no problem.

So now I HAVE to make layout decisions. I am finishing up some design work now and will start on the bulkheads in the next few days.

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:57 pm

silentneko wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:27 pm

So here we go back to the stringer issues. I looked over many build threads and I can see a lot of people have had the same issue and just rolled with it. Some have had issues with the floor sloping forward and collecting water at rest.
I have pondered on this as well. But decided for me it won't be much of a concern for my use.
1. Not a concern when moving.
2. Not a concern if pulled up on the beach with the bow higher than natural. (I wont be tied up to docks for any length of time)
3. Not a concern if attention is paid to angle when parking the trailer.

In the water I think it really comes down to balance which you and I have both worried about more than the designer would like...... If it is only a concern when at rest and unattended, the motor in back with no people to counter towards the front should have the nose a little high anyways right? Or am I completely confused about the entire thing?

silentneko
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by silentneko » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:25 pm

I thought as you did, but the thread I linked to in the layout thread, and Rookies post, had me thinking other wise again. My boat will be tied up to a dock on vacations, I will have a heavy bow mounted trolling motor, and I'll have 2 batteries in the console along with 12 gallons of fuel. The stringers are now level instead of pitched downward so it should drain well.
Draining out while underway isn't an issue, and while at stand still I can plug the scuppers, but while tied at the dock for a week..... On one of our trips it rained heavy for 2 days straight, luckily my current boat has an automatic bilge pump.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:57 pm

I thought about this when considering the angle of my sole. It will be parallel with the hull and if it runs a little bow heavy then water coming into the sole will run forwards. Putting small drains on each side of the console, as far forward as possible, and then the drain tube runs at an angle downward so the water hopefully goes down the tube and still finds it's way to the bilge.

silentneko
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by silentneko » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:12 pm

Water flow in my last few boats I've noticed first tends to go to the sides and then follow the sides to the stern. I would put a drain on the forward bulkhead if you want it to get to the bilge. Me I don't want a drop in the bilge. The pump in there is only for catastrophic emergencies.

Bogieman
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bogieman » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:23 am

Your boat is looking great! Impressive classwork too.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:46 am

silentneko wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:12 pm
Water flow in my last few boats I've noticed first tends to go to the sides and then follow the sides to the stern. I would put a drain on the forward bulkhead if you want it to get to the bilge. Me I don't want a drop in the bilge. The pump in there is only for catastrophic emergencies.
Yeah, even if it doesn't go straight to the sides it will sooner than later. I will not have any center drains, just don't know if 3" or 4" would be enough on each side in the stern. 8O When I say each side of the console I meant where the chine and the sole meet. When water meets the sole I want it to get in the bilge and keep off the sole.