The Plytanic 2.0 - FS17 Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: The Plytanic 2.0 - FS17 Build

Post by TomW1 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:32 am

Looking good guy. Keep the good work.

Tom

Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

silentneko
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by silentneko » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:54 am

Fuzz wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:14 pm
I know it is a little late to say this but to stiffen decks the glass on the underside of a core is what does most of the work. Most of us add glass on top for wear and puncture resistance but it is only a small help for stiffening.
You are correct sir, but if memory serves the plans don't call for any glass covering the sole, top or bottom, just resin coating. I always do the bottom because I've seen floors rot from the bottom up and I wanted more stiffness as well.
The rear section I installed first was supported as the plans called for it, actually better as the rear bulkhead and frame in front of it were closer. But even after glassing top and bottom with cloth it still had about 1/4" of movement when I stepped on it (240lbs). With the second layer it cut it down to about 1/8", not dramatic, but still noticable. One more layer should hopefully eliminate it all.
Built: 15ft Skiff, 16ft Skiff, Modified Cheap Canoe.....FS17 coming soon!

thb
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by thb » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:57 am

Silentneko,

You are making good progress. Really neat and nice work.

Regards
Tom

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:44 am

silentneko wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:54 am

You are correct sir, but if memory serves the plans don't call for any glass covering the sole, top or bottom, just resin coating. I always do the bottom because I've seen floors rot from the bottom up and I wanted more stiffness as well.
The plans specify a fiberglassed bottom, in and out, up to the waterline.
The sole is an option: use one layer of thin glass (4 or 6 oz.) on top only.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

silentneko
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by silentneko » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:37 pm

I get it's an option, but with what ply spec? I'm using 9mm okoume BS1088 I purchased here. With 6oz woven glass, on bottom and top, the floor still flexes a lot in the areas I didn't reinforce way more then the plans stated. I have some left over 4mm meranti I bought here about 7 years ago, and it is almost as rigid as the 9mm okoume. Just my opinion, but I maintain the okoume doesn't have the rigidity needed for certain applications like this. The weight I saved buying the okoume has been easily lost having to use additional reinforcements and additional glass to stiffen it.

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:27 pm

I wonder what we did differently.
I used 3/8" okoume from bbc (I think same plywood as the 9mm?)
I foamed all the bays but the center ones were not filled 100% to the top so the foam does not offer full support in the center 'isle'.
I did have wider supports on the tops of all the stringers and bulkheads, maybe that made a difference? (1x4 along the top of both stringers and split 1x4 to make 1x2 along the tops of all bulkheads)
I did not glass the bottom of my sole(only coated it with epoxy), I did lay 6oz woven over the top of the entire sole after it had been tabbed in though.

It has very little flex at all, most of what I feel when jumping my 240lb body on it is hard to tell if its the sole flexing at all or just moving the entire boat on the stands i have it resting on.
my raised forward deck is a lot larger span than any of the sole and I was concerned with flexing with it, so I reinforced it with 1.5"x1.5 "angles (cut from 2x4s) on the underside and glassed the entire underside with 12oz, now even without tabbing it in yet, just sitting there it is plenty sturdy.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:13 pm

Let's not confuse the bottom face of the sole with the bottom of the boat.
Glass on the lower face of the sole is overkill.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:16 pm

jacquesmm wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:13 pm
Let's not confuse the bottom face of the sole with the bottom of the boat.
Glass on the lower face of the sole is overkill.
It is the sole he is having issues with flex on. (unless I completely misunderstood....)

Bogieman
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bogieman » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:30 am

8)

silentneko
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by silentneko » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:17 am

narfi wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:27 pm
I wonder what we did differently.....

It has very little flex at all, most of what I feel when jumping my 240lb body on it is hard to tell if its the sole flexing at all or just moving the entire boat on the stands i have it resting on.
my raised forward deck is a lot larger span than any of the sole and I was concerned with flexing with it, so I reinforced it with 1.5"x1.5 "angles (cut from 2x4s) on the underside and glassed the entire underside with 12oz, now even without tabbing it in yet, just sitting there it is plenty sturdy.
There should really be no flex at all. I solved the issue in the other areas towards the bow by just adding a 1x2 in between the stringers. For maybe 1/2 a pound and $3 I solved the problem, but I can't do that for the rear area because it was glued down before realizing this. It's ok I'll work it out.