The Plytanic 2.0 - FS17 Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
silentneko
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: The Plytanic 2.0 - FS17 Build

Post by silentneko » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:30 am

The slow paced work continues. Work and the kids have been slowing me down further, it's just the busy time of year.

With the sheer line corrected I glassed the rest of the interior with 6oz cloth. This isn't required, but I want everything protected and strengthened as much as possible.

Glassing helped stiffen up the sides a bit too. before I could push in the gunnels about an inch or so, now it's maybe less then 1/2 an inch. The stiffeners will take care of the rest.

I still have some flex on the rear floor, not much, but it bothers me. I added a couple of strips of 6" tape to retie it in to the sides and frames. It helped a bit, but there is still a slight amount of flex. I'll decide if I'm gonna go any further with that later as most of that area will be covered by a cooler/seat arrangement.

So here is where I'm a little embarrassed to share. I literally spent 2 days figuring out how I wanted to do the side supports/rod holders. Measure, draw, erase, measure, draw, erase.....about 200 times!

I wanted them to be aesthetically pleasing, somewhat, and functional. The problem is how much the hull curves. The spacing needed to be correct so it supports the hull sides well, and allows me to hang a long rod. I don't fly fish so my goal was to be able to hang a 7.5' rod without having to cut holes in the bulkhead. I can do 8' if needed with this arrangement.
So from left to right is the bow, middle, and stern supports. I decided the most functional type was a simple hole, but if I needed to hold a longer rod where the reel was behind the support instead of in front the hole doesn't work. So the front gets the hole, and the rear gets a slide in design. the rear is made so if I need to add a bungee strap later on it's not a problem. The top can fit 2 larger diameter rods, and the bottom will hold either a smaller rod, gaff if I ever need, or most likely my stake out rod. The gunnel caps will end up being about 8.5" total. and there will be a cap edge of about 5/8" x 2.5" so the top rods will be tucked under well. The supports themselves I want a little thicker this time, so they will be either 3/4" or 1" thick.

To be cont....

Built: 15ft Skiff, 16ft Skiff, Modified Cheap Canoe.....FS17 coming soon!

silentneko
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by silentneko » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:00 pm

......Still working on the supports.

I used the router to duplicate each part. I'll bond the other parts to them and then use the router again to finish cutting it out, then again to round the edges.

I was able to make the parts from scrap I had saved. They will be 1" thick.

Once I'm done glassing them I'll use a roundover bit, then add glass to the faces and wear areas.

Some more pieces to the puzzle. I got online and waited 45 minutes in front of bass pro Wednesday to grab a new GPS/FF. I originally was looking at a 5-7" display, and narrowed it down to the Lowrance elite ti series. This 9" was cheaper then the 7" on sale. I'll also be able to get all the engine data on it, bluetooth it to a radio, and maybe hook it into the GPS trolling motor, as well as get down scan and side scan capabilities. basically a bunch of stuff I'll probably never need, lol. It came with both C-maps, and Navionics+ so I'll need to figure out which one is best for my area.

One last stop after Bass Pro. I went and met up with Cape Man at his property, which is pretty cool, got to look at Clara too. He helped me out with a bimini top he wasn't going to need on his OD, but should work well on my FS. I forget to take a pic, but it's a tan 4 bow set up. Even got to chat up him and his grad student about aquaculture biology and such. Good times, Thanks again!

Aripeka Angler
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Aripeka Angler » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:50 pm

The rod holders are very nice!!
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:52 pm

Yes, really well done on the rod holders!!! Jeff

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:49 am

i like 'em to. Didn't do that on my LB22 and regret it. Nice buy on the lowrance. I forget which troll motor supports it. Motorguide or Minn Kota. I have the Minn Kota with anchor lock/gps and love it.

Dougster

cape man

Post by cape man » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:47 am

Was great to meet another boat builder. Sorry we didn't spend more time but had a pretty full plate once our grad student showed up. Sure hope the Bimini works for you, and like I said just pay it forward. This group here is all about helping each other out whenever we can. The list of "things", both tangible and not, that I have gotten from folks here is too long to document.

The boat is looking great!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:56 am

Wow! That is some clever puzzle piece making there!
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Bogieman
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bogieman » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:50 am

Very Nice as always 8)

silentneko
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by silentneko » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:41 am

Some more slow progress, but progress none the less.

So I've had hatches on all my skiffs. The first ones I built out of just plywood, and they worked well, but did not have any kind of seals. On my current skiff I went out and bought commercial plastic hatches, I hate them, lol. Ok hate is a strong word. I feel they look a bit cheesy and while they do seal when they are kept closed, as soon as you open them they drip all the water held in the gutters into the compartment. So I'm going to take a blind stab at making a better hatch.

Here I'm drawing out what I envision the gutters to look like. 2 of the corners are wider so I can install 1/2" drains. I'm going with just 1/2" to make it a bit easier and since these are the rear hatches they just need to be able to clear some spray or rain. The front hatch will be a different setup.

After cutting them out I laminated the parts to scrap pieces of 3/8" ply. This gives the proper spacing so the hatch that will be cored with 3/8" will be able to sit down flush. OR at least I hope so.

Routed, mounted to the backing board, edge routed, and filleted. it's not perfect, but I think it's not to bad.

I edge routed and glassed the side supports. and rolled a coat of epoxy onto the gutter mold too.

The hatches will have about a 3/8" gap around the sides that will allow them to open without binding, and give enough room for the hinges I'll be using. They are Gemlux flush mounts I snagged on clearance.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:05 am

Interesting, very interesting. You will use the mold for more than a single hatch?

I know what you mean on the plastic hatches. I do not like the look of the 4 little hatches I bought and the bigger hatch I could not stand on it without it flexing so I reinforced it with foam and glass. As I improve my skills I may come back and make all the hatches.

Your inwale ribs look fantastic, are you going to leave them bright?
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne