The Plytanic 2.0 - FS17 Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The Plytanic 2.0 - FS17 Build

Post by Jeff » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:51 pm

I agree, very mive work!!! Jeff

silentneko
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by silentneko » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:15 pm

Here's some sloppier stuff. I am starting to do some fairing. I'm not going nuts with it as a perfect finish is not needed. I'm just trying to hide the major stuff. The high build primer I switched to will hide the rest.

First coat on the console.

Built: 15ft Skiff, 16ft Skiff, Modified Cheap Canoe.....FS17 coming soon!

Dan_Smullen
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Dan_Smullen » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:06 pm

The bow looks awesome! The whole thing does actually, but that bow tho...

silentneko
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by silentneko » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:56 pm

Thanks, I was worried about how it would come out, but I think it will work well. I'll be able to tuck a nice large cushion up there to for family days.

So after sanding down the fairing mix on the console I pretty much decided, well, I hate fairing. I'm just not into it, lol. Realizing that a lot of the areas really will not benefit from it, I'm choosing to go ghetto. After the initial fairing of the console and sanding of the gunnel tops and comings, I mixed up a slightly thickened batch of epoxy. I rolled it on to fill in the majority of the weave on the gunnels, and pin holes on the console, and it worked well. The primer I'm using now will take care of the rest.

So I am getting down to the detail stuff like the scupper tubes. If you recall I used glass tubes I bought after someone recommended them. Hindsight I would have rather built my own. They are polyester fiberglass tubes that are extruded and fairly lower quality. As such they have a lot of pock marks and dimples that worry me. I coated them with epoxy on the outside prior to installing them, but really wanted to take care of the insides.

First I made a cheap flap wheel using a 3/8" dowel and 60 grit paper. It worked well when attached to the drill.

Then I made a giant double sided q-tip out of a 1" dowel. One side for an alcohol wipe, and one for epoxy.

It again worked out well. I used the q-tip to push and swirl epoxy around the whole inside. While the mix was to thin to fill the holes, I'm confident a coating is pretty uniform. Any excess dripped out the back. I still have about an inch coming out the rear I haven't cut off yet, So I zip tied some bags on to catch the extra resin.

I worked on smoothing out the hatch gutters, and a few other things. I have to glass the top of the transom and build the lid for the motorwell. Also do some more preliminary wiring. Hopefully I'll be priming the interior in a few week.

silentneko
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by silentneko » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:20 pm

I sanded the inside of the tubes again, this time with a flap wheel of 120 grit, just to knock off any burs or snags. After that I glassed the transom cap, I'm not sure why I didn't do this before. The only component left is the motor well cover, and of coarse the hatch lids.

Right now I'm trying to work on the electrical. There are some things that will be easier if done now since the motor well cover will have just a 10" hatch.

I bought a lug crimping tool a while back, and I'm glad I did. It's way easier to make my own battery and power cables then to try and order the closest size with different lugs. Main power cables, and positive cables for the ACR.

Mounting up all the goodies. The breaker coming out of the bottom of the battery switch will go to the trolling motor.

I made the mistake of buying a lot of duplex wire, but really just needed primary. So I had to split it. Not a huge issue, just a little waste. I should be able to mount the power panel now and then run the rest of the wires as a bundle bound every foot or so with electric tape. Hopefully this leaves enough room in the 1.5" chase to snake the wiring harness through.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:23 am

Nice clean work!!! Jeff

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:55 pm

Looking good. Looks like you will be finishing before me. Will be fun to see you in the water.

silentneko
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by silentneko » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:51 pm

Thanks. I'm hoping to have it done soon, but man my time is thin these days.

So more electrical rigging. I bound the main power leads, and positive leads for the live well, LED lights, underwater lights, bilge pump and anchor light, with tape so it would slide through easily. And so I would have room to pass the wire harness through for the outboard later.

Panel mounted. It will be cleaned up and more secured later on.

The bilge will be getting crowded soon, but hopefully very serviceable.

I mounted the clip to hold the anchor light inside the console.

Last thing I got to was the motor well lid. A few layers of glass on the bottom and one on top.

More to come.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:55 am

Nice progress!!!! Jeff