The Plytanic 2.0 - FS17 Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Coach
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: The Plytanic 2.0 - FS17 Build

Post by Coach » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:23 pm

Silentneko...you just gave me some ideas for my future electrical work while looking at these pics. Thank you for posting them!

Dan_Smullen
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Dan_Smullen » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:24 am

I enjoyed making my way through your build. Everything is looking great!

I was especially interested in how you did your scuppers. These have been one of the many things I’ve been trying to wrap my head around myself. Thanks for the detailed view.

How did you determine the location for the thru hull fitting at the end of the scupper tube?

silentneko
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by silentneko » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:43 am

Thanks guys. I'll keep trying to detail the little stuff.

As far as the scupper tubes go, if memory serves I just went from floor level down an inch or so. So the top of the tube lines up with the top of the stringers . My floor is raised an inch, so at full designed displacement the floor should still be high and dry. I also wanted them designed so if water is still getting onto the deck through them I could add flaps, or ping pong scuppers outside. Another option on heavy load days, either camping or family sand bar hopping, is to just plug them from the inside.
Built: 15ft Skiff, 16ft Skiff, Modified Cheap Canoe.....FS17 coming soon!

Pstrizzle
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Pstrizzle » Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:58 pm

Pretty much just read your entire build. Looks awesome.

silentneko
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by silentneko » Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:03 pm

Thanks again. Not much has been done the last few weeks. Work and other obligations are getting in the way now.

I did manage about an hour yesterday. I was able to install the drain tubes for the motor well. They were made from a tube I made a while back, but can't remember what it was for. They are about a 1/2" and should be more then enough.

I'll grind them back later on

I also bought a new cooler. It's a 94qt igloo which is just about the perfect size for everything. It even has preinstalled snaps for a cushion. Thing is I really want it elevated. I was thinking about a leaning post first, but figure I would rather stand or sit comfortably, and most leaning posts I've dealt with have an awkward reach. So after some play with wood, I think I'm going to create a box to elevate it up about 7" or so. I'll probably use some scrap sanded plywood I have laying around. I'll make large cutouts to keep it relatively light weight.

Dan_Smullen
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Dan_Smullen » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:24 pm

The elevated cooler could be slick.

Seems like an apron around the bottom appropriately sized would make it look like they both grew there!

silentneko
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by silentneko » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:29 pm

I've got a plan in my head. A big part of doing this is to also reinforce the floor in that area, cause even with multiple layers of glass is has a little bounce. While an aluminum fixture would be nice, I'd rather go this route. It will also leave room later If i want to add a backrest.

Bogieman
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bogieman » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:57 pm

8)

silentneko
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by silentneko » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:31 am

After playing around for a bit, I settled on a design for the cooler base.. I think. So using it to help reinforce the floor isn't going to work out well if I want the area under it to be accessible. This is what I came up with. It raises the cooler 7.5" making it very comfortable to me being I'm 6'3". As a bonus it allows my heel to go under the cooler making the standing position better. This might now be a concern to smaller guys, but with a size 15 2E shoe it helps me. This design allows me to store things under it with ease. The main item I was looking to do was put our flippers under it for when we go scalloping.

These pics are before I routed the edges, so it looks a bit boxy. I went back and forth on what material to use for it, and spent a while at home depot looking for something suitable. The best thing I could find was a laminated pine project panel. It was advertised as 3/4", but turned out to only be 5/8". I'm not sure if I'm going to use it or not. I don't have a ton of ply left so this seemed like the best option.

So, opinions?

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:58 am

Looks nice, I imagine even nicer once you round the edges.

How is the cooler attached?