The Plytanic 2.0 - FS17 Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
silentneko
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: The Plytanic 2.0 - FS17 Build

Post by silentneko » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:00 pm

I don't even try to keep track anymore. If I had to guess I have at lease $8,000, and over 600 hours of labor.

So it’s been a bit since I posted and I’ve been running down some ideas and issues. The paint has been a pain in my butt obviously, but I’m looking at this as an opportunity so try some stuff out. I’m setting up as best I can to spray. Yes, there will be some dust in it and no, it won’t look professional. That’s ok, I don’t really care anymore. So last we spoke I messed up by adding the wrong pigment to my paint. At least that’s what I’m going with although it worked previously. So I’m shelving that and moving on.

So I thought if I’m spraying then maybe I will try to get the EMC quantum to work. I tried calling their tech line, but they don’t have one, emails only. After days of waiting for answers I called FGCI where I bought it to ask some questions. They told me they stopped selling it shortly after I bought mine. After a bunch of customer complaints and in house trials they pulled it off the shelf.

Tech support from EMC finally got back to me after a week. I asked about the adhesion issue. The tech insisted I missed the recoat window which is up to 12 hours, and I think I painted about 7. She gave me some other BS about heat, but I reminded her their speced temp range is up to 95 degrees. Then she said it must be humidity, but I reminded her they do not spec a humidity range. Anyway, I wanted to know if I could adjust the ratio to spray instead of rolling, but the tech said I would need to buy a different activator. At this point I’m really just giving up on it, I might use it on something non essential later on.

Crazy thing to me is this paint is completely bonded to the plastic tray liner I used, I can fold it and it won’t even crack, but it wouldn’t bond to itself for some reason?

Image20200701_115633_resized , on Flickr

So moving on. I used the last of the total protect primer on the hatches. These did not need to be perfect as the bottoms I don’t care about, and the tops will mostly be covered with nonskid. With the exception of the console hatch.

Image20200717_065233_resized , on Flickr

I decided to just go with Rustoleum paint with enamel hardener added. I did this on my last boat and it held up better than expected for 9 years. Also no more pigments. I bought a can of blue and used just 15cc’s to tint white to a dark ice blue. I’m doing the hatches first as a test and to figure out the spray gun. The first coat was orange peel city, lol, but not horrible.

Image20200725_123229_resized by kevin lefkowitz, on Flickr

The second coat went on much better and smoothed things out. Not to bad I think.

Image20200727_132903_resized , on Flickr

This is the gun rig I made to fill and hang it. They didn’t have one at the store so I made a temp rig out of old wire hangers. It works for now. I had to get creative with the adapters I had to get everything to work and be maneuverable. I’ll swap them out once I get to the store again.

Image20200728_105045_resized , on Flickr

So this brings me to my latest issue. Not a huge one and it will work out. I went to set up the gun and all of a sudden I couldn’t get more then 20psi at the gun. After an hour plus of trouble shooting I found the issue. I installed a dryer/filter a few days ago, and it failed already. I wanted to push on so I removed it as I had a ball filter on also.

Image20200728_144708_resized , on Flickr

So even with the ball filter on, apparently the Florida humidity got to me today. I rained yesterday, and we didn’t have a ton of sun today. Well live and learn, I need a better drier/water separator. So the more I sprayed the worse it got. Not a huge deal, but the one I needed to come out the best happened to be the last one I shot, lol. I will sand and reshoot with better equipment.

Image20200728_143705_resized , on Flickr

So far I’m happier with the rustoleum, we will see it that continues.

Built: 15ft Skiff, 16ft Skiff, Modified Cheap Canoe.....FS17 coming soon!

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:20 pm

Build on!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:40 pm

A couple of thoughts....
I like to use a ~6ft 'whip' hose to the gun with the regulator before it instead of right on the gun, the gun and paint cup is heavy enough for larger projects without having to be holding the regulator steady as well. (I know lots of people mount it directly to the gun though, and it may even be the standard, i dont know)

We use a huge desiccant filter thats like 10" tall by 4" across.... but we also live in a very dry environment for as much as it rains (people often get nose bleeds moving here).
I don't think I used a water filter at all when painting Landon's canoe in the tent, but cant remember for sure.
I wonder about getting a slightly larger filter, but one you can bake(dry out) the beads out of, so its easy for you to change out without any real extra cost. Those beads are the same material in diapers, and can buy for kids science projects in different colors for swelling up, or powdered for making 'snow'. (you are not supposed to put it down your septic system!) You can also see them in false spark plugs for putting in engines during extended storage periods.

silentneko
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by silentneko » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:00 am

It was suggested to me to keep the regulator on the gun for more precision, but I don't think moving it a few feet is an issue either. Many of the guns come with it installed this way. Honestly though, its not very heavy even loaded with paint. I'm keeping the 90 degree elbow at the base though, that gave me like 6 inches more room when trying to get into tight places.

I couldn't find any large desiccant filters locally. I did buy another water trap. So I'm going to rig everything in series and see if it helps. First the larger water separator, followed by the mini water filter, then an inline desiccant filter, and a small ball filter by the end. Hopefully this does something better.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:10 am

I am hoping soon you will have some good news to post. It has to be very upsetting that this paint job is fighting you the whole way.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:17 am

also another thought, you have probably already done this, but I often miss the most obvious when I am frustrated with something..... Have you drained the valve on the bottom of your compressor tank?

silentneko
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by silentneko » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:32 am

Oh yes, but I'm working in 90% humidity here. Actually the extension off the bottom of the gun was a new remote drane kit I bought, but had to temporarily repurpose it when I needed another 90.

silentneko
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by silentneko » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:19 pm

I went at it again today, with mixed results, but not to bad. I bought another water separator for my compressor. So I had a full size seperator, backed up by a second mini separator. Then a short 3ft hose that had an inline desiccant filter and a ball filter before the second regulator and gun. Crap that's a lot of stuff huh, lol. I also attached the new remote drain valve kit.

Well the desiccant filter failed again. I couldn't get more then 25psi out of it so I had to quickly disconnect it and start spraying. I had just one hiccup. A water spot in the last hatch, but it's were the nonskid is going. I ordered a new mounted desiccant filter with the reusable beads as it was recommended. This should take care of the rest of the water issues.

Outside of that I think I'm going to switch back to mineral spirits for thinning. I know guys like acetone for spraying rustoleum because it dries faster, but at 90 degrees it's not an issue, and I think it will benefit from additional flow out. Assuming I finish the last coat on the hatches this weekend, I will sand and prep next week to do the bulk of the remaining painting.

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:24 pm

Sounds like you are working out the kinks, thats good!

silentneko
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by silentneko » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:46 pm

I'm trying. I've spent more on compressor accessories this week then the compressor cost. Just got a new intake filter too. I tried setting up fans on it today to cool the incoming air, no change.

Outside of putting it inside my house with the A/C (wife already said no) not sure what else I can do.