FS14- Bayou City Boat

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: FS14- Bayou City Boat

Post by Jaysen » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:06 pm

Car says it’s 102f heading up into town through the live oaks. The weather station on the neighbors dock (over the water is reading 92f. Normal summer day.

Spreading beer should be a crime.

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:21 pm

97 is where I have stopped today. Beer starts to evaporate as soon as I open it.

Both control valves mounts have been made and they have been coated both sides with neat epoxy, hanging to cure. Light sanding, one last test fit and they will then be tacked into place. The drain valve will have to stay mounted so it keeps it in place till the epoxy cures. The flow valve mount I did the tongue and slot method and because the tongue goes all the way through I will clamp it on one side and tack it on the other. Once it cures I will trim it flush and fill will epoxy putty and glue. Once those two mounts are glued in the Tank Well Control Locker will be ready for primer. The hatches will be in Wednesday along with the triplex and power wires. Turn the page for the next step!!

Things are starting to move to fast!!

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:07 pm

Good progress OrangeQuest, even in the heat!! Jeff

Bogieman
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bogieman » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:29 pm

Way to go, OQ! Looks like you're clicking right along now. It was hot here today too (heat index was at 107). I was taking a lot of breaks and chugging gallons of water... couldn't handle any beer today.

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:57 pm

Jeff wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:07 pm
Good progress OrangeQuest, even in the heat!! Jeff
Thank you Jeff, It is always to something. I will be looking for paint soon!
Bogieman wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:29 pm
Way to go, OQ! Looks like you're clicking right along now. It was hot here today too (heat index was at 107). I was taking a lot of breaks and chugging gallons of water... couldn't handle any beer today.
Taking a lot of break and lots of cold water for me too. I have been doing a lot of little things and planning the next few steps. Trying to make sure things all fit together. Try to get as much as I can before it climbs about 90. Then I start slinging epoxy, grab a cold one and hit the A/C. I have an outside shower, cold water only, and after doing a lot of sanding and I get the dust suit off that shower feels pretty good. Afterwards, grab a cold one and freeze in the A/C.

This is my tongue and groove mount. Tried to get both sides of the stringer. It is crooked but when I clamp it, it will be straight.

Bogieman
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bogieman » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:15 pm

That looks really good, OQ! Man, that outside shower has got to be fantastic! If I had one on a day like today I'd jump in there every 10 minutes just to cool off.

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:12 am

Bogieman wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:15 pm
That looks really good, OQ! Man, that outside shower has got to be fantastic! If I had one on a day like today I'd jump in there every 10 minutes just to cool off.
Thanks Bogieman. The shower comes in handy for after tours and we bring the customers back to the warehouse. They will use it to rinse off or one of the two hoses near it. The water pipe is buried deep enough in the ground that it comes out just cold enough to be very refreshing. Sometimes when wet sanding paddleboards I have been known to set up under the shower to keep the board wet.

I took Monday off on working on the boat while I done a little thinking about the next few steps. Did some "window shopping" for the next budget meeting, which I am the only person that is at these meetings. It is more or less look at the bills that need to be paid and see what can be spent on boat stuff. And in what order things need to be purchased so the build doesn't stall due to funding. That will come soon enough when money is being put aside for the motor.

Bogieman
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bogieman » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:17 am

8)

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:42 am

So today before the sun started to heat things up I started work on the tanks again. The neat epoxied control valve mounts turned out good, sanded a little I thinking one more coat before I mount them. I cut one more hole for the hose to get to the live well and now I am ready to coat all the cut holes with neat epoxy. Since I cut a new pump mount that still needs a neat coat and sanding. Since I am happy with all the locations of everything I roughly over measured each hose and pushed the fittings on them. Labeled them and then bundled them.
Getting ready to coat everything with neat epoxy and if any is left will make glue for the valve mounts so I can final test fit everything before painting the lockers. If the final fitting goes well I will start working on mounts for the two bilge pumps. Because bilge pumps need to be inspected regularly I need to be able to access them semi easily so if I make mounts like GB did with SKINNYDIP should be a one handed operation.

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:20 pm

One thing I forgot to mention about the live well pump mount. I was going to mount it vertical but didn't like the pump setting on the bottom of the bilge. The motor itself seems to be sealed but I don't want to take the chance so mounting it horizontal. This gives me more bottom space for the bilge pump and hoses. The down side is it brings the well pump up to almost 6" off the bottom. By pump I mean the impeller of the pump. Should I be concerned? The DWL is 5" but the boat will be heavier than designed.