FS14- Bayou City Boat

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: FS14- Bayou City Boat

Post by Jeff » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:30 am

Nice OQ!!! You just stay warm out there!! Jeff

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:48 am

Any progress to share?
Hank

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:09 am

Looks like my boat build went into hibernation for the winter. Lost a venue with storage in a very bad spot on the bayou, which means 22 more boats and gear are now packed into the warehouse. We do have a better location for our Buffalo Bayou Park venue but it means I have all our boat fleets (60+ boats and gear) being stored at the warehouse, permanently! Also lost my assistant leaving me with no one to help move the gear around or the office work. :cry:
I have all incoming calls coming to the company cell phone so I can still be mobile but hard to hear it ring and run the power sprayer to clean gear, I wear ear buds now that fall out a lot. Also have to stop and answer emails now, along with keeping up with social media posts.

Not sure if the dust in the boat is from sanding or just not being worked on in over a month, so I put the cover on it. I can pull 2 fully loaded boat trailers and then the motorized canoe out to gain access to the tongue of my boat. I can then pull it out and work on it. But don't see having the time or extra energy to do all that for a few hours and then put it all back.

Never know how much an assistant does or how much they are needed till you just don't have one. Especially when you have had a really good one.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:22 am

OQ, sorry to hear the news but it is good to hear from you!!! I hope you are able to find another good assistant!!! Jeff

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:54 am

Sounds like a cascade of problems that need to be dissected and tackled in order and as time allows. Hope you remedy the lack of a good assistant, that's a big one.

Good luck, that's a handful!
Hank

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:25 am

OrangeQuest wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:09 am

I have all incoming calls coming to the company cell phone so I can still be mobile but hard to hear it ring and run the power sprayer to clean gear, I wear ear buds now that fall out a lot. .
I really like my "3M Worktunes" they bluetooth to my phone and are full on earmuffs when working around noise.
I use them to listen to audiobooks while working on the powerhouse or sending etc....
They were imo cheap at $50 from Costco or amazon.

I also use a smartwatch that vibrates for calls on my wrist and never have a ringer on my phone at all, just the phone and wrist vibrate and if earmuffs on ring in them.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:39 am

Look over the paddles, the green mats and the yellow boats and you can just see the bow of my boat, there is a box on top of it. I have to move a lot of stuff just to touch the boat. When I have time I am going to take off the rack the 16.5 foot tour boats and replace them with the 13.5 foot rec boats. The extra 3 feet will give me room to walk by the rack and touch the bow of my boat! :lol: But will make it easier to get everything in and out.

I have an old pair of Bluetooth earphones that work great and stay on my head while I am working. They last up to 12 hours with music. But when I am cleaning boats I need the phone close by due to having to push one to get the call to come through. To push the button I have to dry my hands to unlock the phone. Then most the time run into the office and pull up a screen on the web for reference or to note something on our calendar. This time of year we get a lot of calls, while everyone else is off, wanting to rent boats, book tours and do something. Weather here in Houston is running between mid 60s to high 70s. PERFECT paddling weather!
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:50 am

Good stuff Big Orange! I would not like to clean all those boats and man the phone and web!
Enjoy that beautiful weather Friend. :)

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:07 am

Here are all but the canoes and the single boats we have. This is setup for the 2018 Buffalo Bayou Regatta. We will rent all our fleets out and then some for the race. It takes 10 employees less than 30 minutes to off load all the boats from the trailers and set them up for this event. Most the boats are double stacked. This is how we start our Spring Season in March. We have became the biggest outfitter for this event.
A. A. Milne

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:21 am

Work is keeping you busy. Hope you can spring some free moments to continue the build. Regardless, sooner or later ....... :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).