FS14- Bayou City Boat

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: FS14- Bayou City Boat

Post by Jeff » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:09 pm

Good idea from OrangeQuest or for patterns, use a heavy cardboard and cut with a sharp knife!! Jeff

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:25 pm

Well, Anything new with the boat? :wink: :)
Completed R13 two part nesting rowboat. ST 21 under construction .... where seeking perfection is recognized as the enemy of the good.

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:33 pm

Sorry, just seen this. I glued the new transom and filler in and it set clamped up for 3 days. During the week I escaped long enough to sand a few high spots down. I have it squeezed into our warehouse and have to move a tandem axle kayak trailer to get it out to really work on it. Bad weather when I have time or my work gets busy on better days. I left a 1/8" gap around the edge of the new piece to make sure I could see glue squeeze out when clamped it so I need to put fillets around it and then tape. Then I will tape all the inside seems and lay the cloth. I also want to find time to lay out the stringers and get patterns cut for test fitting those in. Because I want to have a sole I want to make sure of the height before cutting.

Being a kayak outfitter, when the weather gets nice all our little boats come out. I am director of operations so I have a hand in everything! Pretty soon I will be coming in on my days off, staying after work and getting more of it done. A lot of our kayaks are in storage for the winter so not much extra space to move around. This week I have to build a new rack that was destroyed during the flood of Harvey. Then some 20 boats will be moved back to our venue where they belong.

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:17 am

I am at that point where I want to fill in the gaps around the transom, fillet around the transom and then tape the transom on the wet on wet method.
I am using marine epoxy with medium harder and every time I have time the temps are in the mid to high 50's and it takes a very long time for the epoxy to get even tacky. But 3 of us will tackle the putty, fillet and taping. So there is someone mixing, another applying and then another one making it look clean and neat.

Biggest fiberglass job I have done was only 36" long and it turned out good after a lot of sanding.

Today's weather is going to be in the 70s but mist and dew everywhere.

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:10 pm

Was able to move the boat out into the sunshine today and started doing the fillets and taping in the transom. Just as it got time to add the tape it started clouding up so pushed the boat back in enough to protect from any rain. Wanted to do wet on wet so nothing was going to stop us and we did get it done. I can now start making patterns for the stringers and knees.

Can just see the add on filler.

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:50 am

Ok. Epoxy is dry and a little milky where the tape overlap. Does any one see any concerns?

Close up of one area

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:30 pm

You can expect it to look a bit milky at overlaps when using biax, I think it's fine.
Hank

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:52 pm

What epoxy and speed are you using?
Did you wet out the ply first?
Did you squeeze out the extra epoxy?

38.jpg
FS14 (SandPiper) launched 10/20/2018

LM18 Starting build in November 2018

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:00 pm

Capt UB wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:52 pm
What epoxy and speed are you using? Med -Marine epoxy
Did you wet out the ply first? Wet the plywood, putty,wet the putty, tape and wet on top
Did you squeeze out the extra epoxy?Yes

I wet the new piece of transom before I glued it into the old transom, both sides. Then I wet out the inside of the old transom. Glued in the new piece and waited a few days for cure. Wet out were I was going to add the fillets, filled in the gap I left around the new transom piece and make 7/16" fillets. Let them get tacky and then add neat epoxy and then laid the tape. Started up one side then the other. Then Laid the bottom and repeated till all the required tape was laid. Then squeegeed everything, keeping the squeegee wet so as not to stick and pull. Any extra that was pulled out of the tape I spread out on the bottom and sides to wet for glass.

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:21 pm

I am getting tired of this weather. Cold, wet, warm, sunny, windy and then back to cold....all in the same day. Saturday will start warm and rainy then Sunday will start in the 50s then drop to the 40s in the afternoon with wind 10 to 20 mph from the north.