FS14- Bayou City Boat

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: FS14- Bayou City Boat

Post by Eric1 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:48 pm

Yea Bro, It's hot up here too. Your work is looking good.
I've been scraping tape today. I have a 8 foot section left but I'm tapped. 87 degree in the shop. :roll:

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:18 pm

Yeah, I call it beer o'clock when the temps reach 95 or higher. I'll close the doors and call it a day in the warehouse. Pushing to get a fan by Northern Tool that moves over 17000CFM!! The rain kept the temperature down below 90 Sunday.

Capt UB
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Capt UB » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:50 pm

OC, I'll pick you up by water!! 8)

At this time... I will be done with my boat sometime durning the first week of July!

I am told we will have 9 days off!! If true, fairing sanding painting electrical SPLASH.

Rain or shine..... 8)
Last edited by Capt UB on Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Home built boats, get their personality from the builder... My boat is NUTS!!! FS14, getting wet soon.... Next build; LM18 (Laguna Madre Skiff 18). This is a beautiful designed boat.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:47 pm

Can't wait. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:25 pm

Capt UB wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:50 pm
OC, I'll pick you up by water!! 8)

At this time... I will be done with my boat sometime durning the first week of July!

I am told we will have 9 days off!! If true, fairing sanding painting electrical SPLASH.

Rain or shine..... 8)
That is good news!!

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:32 pm

After laying 4oz tape on the underside of the tank well assembly today and leaving to cure over night I will sand and then should be ready to glue in. But it will just get laid in place so I can start measuring and cutting hose to fit. I have also been sanding the lockers for the valves and pump so I can glue their respective mounts in. The "well works" will then be test fitted then removed and labeled so the lockers can be painted.

To speed up the build I have been looking at hatches. I have two sizes that I like for the wells and once I measure may get the same kind for the washboard hatches. I have also been looking at wire. They sell triplex which will work for the 3 pumps in the back, 2 of the pumps needing 3 wires and the tank well pump will use the 3rd wire to control the well lights. 3/14 wire should be more than enough and they will get their own chase tube. Then a chase tube for the engine harness and a duplex wire for the anchor light. One more chase tube for the fuel line and that's it for the chase tubes. Still not sure if I want to have one extra chase tube for future whatever. For those paying attention the shift cables and the steering cable will be routed out the console side, under the step toward the side and then be tucked under the gunwale. Transducer wire may take the same path.

After all this is done the back half the boat will be also. After that the boat should be ready to do a float test to see where the console needs to be to counter balance the weight that will be in the stern. With my weight at the helm will make it bow heavy till the wells are filled then balanced. Crazy right!?

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:46 am

The loPro pump came in yesterday!! Here is the low profile pump that will sit under the sole and the standard pump that will be at the back near the transom. You can see the LoPro has more than an inch of clearance which there will be an 8" deck hatch over it for maintance. I keep flipping back and forth on this being the primary or auxiliary pump. It is not a standard pump with just a float switch, it has a few more features that make for a more useful pump. One thing I like is it came with 4 fittings and 3 of the fitting have rubber membrane check valves. So many uses!!

Bogieman
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bogieman » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:51 am

You're making some real progress. Looks great. Can't wait to see everything hooked up and running.

Bogie

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:55 am

Bogieman wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:51 am
Can't wait to see everything hooked up and running.

Bogie
ME TOO!!! :lol:

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:52 am

Been doing a lot of sanding but this morning wanted to play around with making a hotwire foam cutter to make rounded corners for my bait box.

Here is the first setup and it cuts the foam like butter.
This is my first try. I could use them but I may try again before I glue anything in.

May just make a long drum sander to smooth them a little. Looks like some of my first fillets!