FS14- Bayou City Boat

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Capt UB
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: FS14- Bayou City Boat

Post by Capt UB » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:23 am

OQ

It's 10:30 here and all ready upper 80's and the humidity is killing me...

Hows it going in your part of the world?

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:41 am

Mid 80's in the warehouse here with humidity somewhere close to fog....if it was a little cooler. I am only watching crews right now.
First crew and gear left for one venue at 7:15 this morning. Next crew should start showing up any minute now and I will drive for a tour today that starts at 2. Between making sure all goes well I am measuring and cutting hose for my tank wells. Just ran into a snag. The thru hull fitting for water intake I got is to short. My transom is 1" right now and the fitting is 1.75" threads with a .5" nut that goes on each end to tighten it up. .25" to short. Then the strainer threads on. I can get a REAL thru hull fitting that has the outside piece already on it, gives me that .25" back on the inside, but would need to get a snap in strainer. "It is only a thing" and minor setback. Blow the budget already for this month so will be part of next month's budget which may include primer and paint.

Are you fairing and sanding your FS14 today, and the next few weeks?

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:41 pm

Here is where I stopped to get ready for a tour. The drain control valve can not be seen but you can see the handle below the flow control valve.
I rough cut the hoses a little long so once the valves and pump are mounted I will then trim them to exact length. Still need to make a mount for the flow control valve and ran into a snag with the thru hull pickup being to short. There is also just enough room for the 500gph auto pump. Can see why I don't want this to be where water collects.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:31 am

Looks really nice and neat! Thanks for documenting this. :)

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:05 am

Eric1 wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:31 am
Looks really nice and neat! Thanks for documenting this. :)
Thanks Eric, but it's all photoshopped! :D

I didn't like the way the well pump was going to be mounted so I am changed that and it will give me a little more room. With my snag on the thru hull fitting I need to change it anyway. Trying to keep everything as straight shot as possible.

Capt UB
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Capt UB » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:39 pm

OQ

Went to Harbor Freight this morning....

This is the stuff I have used on all my boats.
0624180957.jpg
0624180958.jpg
These connectors should be crimped carefully first then heat up. The glue inside will come out as the tubing shrinks.
0624180958a.jpg

Stay cool.... 95° here.... QuickFair goes off real quick, putting it in ice water..... With the beer ;)

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:44 pm

How long till you try to spread the beer and drink the quick fair?

Used some fast on the till this morning. 3oz mix at 6a... rock hard by 7a... finger nail test passed by 9a. Got to love hot days for epoxy work.

Capt UB
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Capt UB » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:52 pm

Jaysen wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:44 pm

Used some fast on the till this morning. 3oz mix at 6a... rock hard by 7a... finger nail test passed by 9a. Got to love hot days for epoxy work.
No longer a true Sailor...... I keep things color coded! Beer Green bottle and QuickFair white mixing pan.....
Getting Hotter here...95° now going up.... Oh, this is in the shade!

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:03 pm

Capt UB wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:52 pm
Jaysen wrote:

No longer a true Sailor...... I keep things color coded! Beer Green bottle and QuickFair white mixing pan.....
If you can tell the colors apart you need to take bigger drinks!

Be careful with chilling. The resin will thicken making mixing and spreading harder. I found it easier to make smaller batches than to ice things.

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:32 pm

Jaysen wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:03 pm
Capt UB wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:52 pm
Jaysen wrote:

If you can tell the colors apart you need to take bigger drinks!

Be careful with chilling. The resin will thicken making mixing and spreading harder. I found it easier to make smaller batches than to ice things.
Hard for me to keep up. You guys still talking about beer or quickfair. Spreading beer, chillin' quickfair?? :doh: The heat is getting to you both! :lol:

Capt.UB it is also 95 here and going up. I am trying to make valve mounts that will not break off after a few trys. Thinking a tongue and groove kind of a mount to the frame. The mount will have the tongue and I will cut a slot in the frame to slide it through with lots of epoxy glue.

I will be using the HF connectors also followed with heavy amounts of liquid tape.