My FS18 Straight Shear hard chine Splashed 6/15!

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
OrangeQuest

Re: My FS18 Straight Shear hard chine Splashed 6/15!

Post by OrangeQuest » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:55 pm

That is one nice looking little boat. Simple and elegant. Like a little black dress with just white pearls.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:27 pm

Mikem59 wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:06 pm
OrangeQuest wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:33 am
How do you like you 20hp Suzuki? I would like to put the 25hp on my FS14 build.
Orange quest
I’m quite pleased with the Suzuki 20 hp. I wanted the 25 but if I recall, the 25 hp was nearly 20 lbs heavier. With trim tabs and an Atlas Micro Jacker jack plate also on the back I didn’t want the added weight of the 25.

With the stock prop, I was hitting the rev limiter and probably getting to 22 mph wot. I put on Powertech stainless steel SRT3R11P, a 9 1/2” prop with 11 pitch and I’m topping out at 25 - 26 mph depending on load.

The PT prop doesn’t have the hole shot of the stock prop but this boat pops up pretty easily anyway. I’ll add I’ve had a preference for Suzuki due to success in the past versus some undesirable results from another popular brand. I know a lot of folks over here in SE TX are high on the Tohatsu’s. I don’t know much about them.

Hope the info helps!
You discovered the first rule of propeller choice. Hole shot vs speed. Also meeting the max rpm's vs over revving the motor.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses.

seaslug
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by seaslug » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:15 pm

Your finished boat looks fantastic, and I'm sure you'll love it as much as I love mine. Can't find a boat much shallower, or better for poling the flats. If it's wet you can fish it, and never have to worry about being stuck anywhere. post some fishing shots in the future.

johnstonjosh
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by johnstonjosh » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:33 pm

I got a ton of compliments on it. Most people said the same thing..."wow that boat gets skinny!" When we were in water less than ankle deep and it was still floating along people were amazed at how a boat that size could run so shallow. Even stopping at the gas station drew attention. Its not as nice as some other builds, but it works great and suits my needs perfectly. If I had to do another, I would spend more time and do flush hatches and side mounted nav lights to clean up the front deck. The hatches I have dont get in the way though.

johnstonjosh
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by johnstonjosh » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:06 pm

Just thought I would share this. Being strapped for cash I didnt have $500+ for a push pole. I saw that there were telescoping push poles like the Super Stick. I looked into a few poles and found that a common factor is an aluminum extension with fiberglass body. The aluminum is also not round but angled (octagonal or similar) While at Home Depot I found this gem https://www.homedepot.com/p/Wooster-8-f ... 187303-_-N

It is 8-16ft, angled aluminum with fiberglass body and has positive locking, not twist lock and about $35! I spent another $5 or so buying some schedule 40 pvc fittings to make the foot. I removed the screw cap at the end (was only held on by 2 screws, and slipped my custom pvc foot on, and secured it with stainless bolts. I have found that is is plenty strong too! I have taken it out several times, and last time poled for over 30 minutes total. As long as I dont extend it all the way (leave about a ft or so) there is minimal flex.

All in all for $40 it gets the job done, and sits perfectly under the gunwales in a cutout in the frames when retracted. No expensive pole hanging off the boat while trailering, and no need for mounting brackets taking up space on the gunwales.

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:02 am

Very cool, thanks for the post. A quick search shows my local HD has that in stock and it would be very handy on my SK14.

:D Dougster

Bogieman
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bogieman » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:18 am

Very nice! Congratulations.

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:43 am

What a great idea! Thanks for sharing!!

I modified a pool cleaning pole to make a boat hook but flexes a lot. It gets used a lot for log clearing and rescues.

johnstonjosh
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by johnstonjosh » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:41 am

I looked at a few options on different forums....wooden closet dowels, bamboo, pvc and even metal conduit. After seeing a telescoping push pole I started looking at paint poles, and most of them had round extensions, but then found the one with the angled aluminum. The shape of the extension will resist bending, and having the positive locking is a huge plus. Trying to mess with a twist compression fitting while on the boat and with wet hands didnt seem practical, or like it would stay put under heavy poling. I figure if the $200 push pole has the same exact features, then there is no reason this wouldnt work. The foot is just a T fitting, 45 degree elbows and endcaps with small bits of pvc cut to length to join it up. You could buy a proper foot for them, but this works fine for hard sand and mud. I just cant use it to stake out.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:04 am

I bought the exact same pole, I use it for painting! It works great, so if you don't like the push pole you still have a good roller extension. :lol:
Hank