My FS18 Straight Shear hard chine Splashed 6/15!

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
johnstonjosh
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: My FS18 Straight Shear hard chine

Post by johnstonjosh » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:04 pm

I had to drive all the way from orlando to jacksonville to get it. The guy selling it wanted to sell it as a package with an old duck boat, but the trailer it was on had a bad axle and wouldnt have made it far. Was able to talk him into parting with it separately. Started first pull but bogs down a bit at higher rpm. Going to pull the carbs and clean them and replace the spark plugs.

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:02 am

johnstonjosh wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:47 am
Just picked up a 1999 25 horsepower Yamaha 2 stroke! Going to clean the carbs pull the impeller and check it and replace the spark plugs. It ran good as it is but I like to clean things up and put new stuff on to have a Baseline
May consider changing the lower unit lube too.

johnstonjosh
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by johnstonjosh » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:04 pm

Got the boat flipped over and on the trailer. First we got it to the floor onto some carpet, and rolled it over. Then raised the bow up and pushed the trailer under it, then used the winch to pull it the rest of the way up. Super easy and we didnt pull a muscle!
Got the Mini Jacker to mount the motor because Im out of funds and it will work for now. It was plain galvanized grey so I coated in epoxy spray enamel. Looks a lot better now. Then for the transition between the graphite coating and the white, I used a grey 1/4 inch pin stripe tape . Really cleaned up the line and blends the transition better.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:09 pm

Nice work!!! Jeff

johnstonjosh
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by johnstonjosh » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:57 pm

Primary construction complete!!!! Just need to paint the decks and install the hatches and she will be ready to launch!! I ended up trimming the gunwales down to 6" instead of 8, and am very happy with the increased cockpit area. Its wide enough to sit on and walk across.

johnstonjosh
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by johnstonjosh » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:23 pm

Finished priming the top. My helper was finishing the inside. Will be ready to paint shortly and should be 100% finished Tues. No splash date yet. Going to rebuild the carbs on the outboard first. I dont want any surprises out on the water.

GuyP
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by GuyP » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:00 pm

New to forum question. Is straight sheer a squared off corner or something different?

Thanks

Guy

johnstonjosh
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by johnstonjosh » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:43 pm

There are 2 versions, the standard, and the low shear/straight shear. The one I am building has slightly different dimensions in a few places so that the hull will sit flush with the deck. There is no toe rail. The standard version has a slight lip in the aft and a little more pronounced one at the bow. Here is one that someone made with the straight/low shear, and another with the standard layout. its a matter of preference.

GuyP
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by GuyP » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:26 pm

Yes I see now thanks. How do you find out what designs are offered with variable sheer heights? I see on FS17 study plans about sheer variations but not on FS19. Wondering if OB19 is offered in low. I’ve got a question in to Jeff (webmaster I think).

johnstonjosh
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by johnstonjosh » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:59 pm

GuyP wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:26 pm
Yes I see now thanks. How do you find out what designs are offered with variable sheer heights? I see on FS17 study plans about sheer variations but not on FS19. Wondering if OB19 is offered in low. I’ve got a question in to Jeff (webmaster I think).
Yeah they would be the best to tell...i think it mentions on the study plans for different boats if there are variations.