OB15 (LS)

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Stinkyface
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: OB15 (LS)

Post by Stinkyface » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:15 pm

Lol. I just caught DAMHIK.

I completely rearranged my garage for this building and I can't find my bits. I'm pretty particular about some things so it looks like it's beer and saw time. I'm gonna bite the bullet and cut two new clamping boards and glue one at a time. This time I'm gone cut some two bys and string them across the top and bottom like prison bars and clamp both sides. Should get relatively even pressure. I just can't let this go. It's been eating at me. I know some people are reading this and thinking "and this guy wants to lower the sheer!?". Don't worry I'm thinking the same thing!

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:26 pm

Totally understand about the transom. If there is any chance it is going to bother you take care of it now before you put in a ton of hours and money on it. If you do not have plans for the old transom it might be enlightening to go ahead and cut a few plugs out of it.

Stinkyface
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Stinkyface » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:11 pm

Fuzz,

I'm using the same transom piece, just the other side. The "bad" side will be planed down until it's close, then the old material will be sanded so I don't decrease the thickness of the transom. From what I understand there shouldn't be a bonding issue when I do glass it. It should be the same as when we don't work wet on wet. Not the way I wanted to start out...
And but the way I hate to be the guy that asks for advice and then doesn't take it. I just feel in this case this is the right choice. I really do appreciate the advice I have gotten and am going to get. I wish I had some to offer but I'm a newbie. I will continue to post the good and bad...

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:02 pm

You have the right attitude :D As the Cracker would have said this aint nothing but a thing. Your plan will work out just fine.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:32 am

For getting areas pulled together I've seen temporary screws used, but clamping cauls should do a good job. If you use screws, don't wait too long to remove them.
Hank

Stinkyface
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Stinkyface » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:31 pm

I will probably use that trick this time around.

2 hour drive and a hundred bucks later two new clamping boards. They are a little off so I'm going to clamp them to the transom and sand everything to perfect shape before I glue
Attachments
IMG_20180305_152803703.jpg

Bogieman
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bogieman » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:19 pm

Stinkyface wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:00 pm
Actually had to drink a beer before I did it because I figured this is my first chance to really screw something up!
Funny stuff right there! You're not alone. I'm building the AD16 sailboat. The other day I had to make some splices for the first time and I noticed I was sorta freaking out nervous :lol: because building mistakes can be expensive mistakes.

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:24 pm

After a few more months and lots more issues, you’ll both be a lot less worried. I think your original transom looked fine, but I respect your desire to get it the way you want. Keep on building!

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:30 am

Good seeing you Stinkface!! Jeff

Bogieman
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bogieman » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:26 pm

One thing I've learned building these boats,is that every mistake seems like a crisis (and they really are at the time), but they all sort of fade into an "oops" memory as the build progresses. In the end everything just works out somehow. :D You're doing fine.

Bogie