SWFL FS18--FIRST TIME BUILDER

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
captainsolar
New Poster
New Poster

SWFL FS18--FIRST TIME BUILDER

Post by captainsolar » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:50 am

Good morning all! I've been lurking and thinking for quite some time now about building the perfect skiff to run the mangroves here in SWFL and I finally decided to pull the trigger on the FS18 plans. It's going to be a long slow process for me for several reasons. Number 1 this is my first boat build. Number 2 I have a 6 month old that takes a lot of my time!

That being said, I'm ready to get started and I'm looking forward to the process! I set a goal of being finished by February 1. Hopefully this isn't too ambitious for a first time builder.

I already have a question though! Are there any specific dimensions for building the strongback? I was thinking of using 2"x6"x16' and supporting the width with 2"X6"X2' the length of it. Is it pretty safe to assume that as long as I get that square and level it will be a good strongback?

Thanks in advance and I look forward to updating this often!!

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: SWFL FS18--FIRST TIME BUILDER

Post by Dougster » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:07 am

That's the timber I used for my strongback on the LB22, so I say no problem. Also, as the King of slow builders, I'll say a tractor can get there sure enough. If the wheels keep turning then you keep moving. I've never been on a FS18 but have seen one up close on the trailer. Very nice boat for sure.

Dougster

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:34 am

Welcome to the forum captainsolar. :D

Two of the most experienced and competent builders to have graced this forum, Cracker Larry and Aripeka Angler, have built very nice FS18s. Their build threads will give you an idea on what's realistically achievable over eight months.

All the best. :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

seaslug
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by seaslug » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:40 pm

Welcome to the forum and the fun. The time you've allotted is definitely doable, but that of course depends on how many hours you're able to work, having all the right tools for the job, and of course it helps greatly if you're comfortable using those tools. Also depends on what level of finish you want, and how much detail you incorporate, such as, custom hatches, and other fancy wood work, electronics, built in fuel tank, poling platform, etc. etc. That being said, I built mine in just over 4 months, or about 400 hours total, so averaging somewhere around 25 hours per week. Now, I do have a full time job, but I have the benefit of acute insomnia, and probably a touch of mental illness. Seems to work for me though. I can't recall the width of my strong back, either 24 or 30 inches, but the height that worked for me was 23", and the length more importantly if you're building the rounded bow chine option, was 179", which for me worked out so frame A sits at the end of the strong back, giving total access underneath the overhanging bow section for all the stitching underneath with the PVC pipes. If you're putting castors on yours for rolling it around, I suggest using 6, with 2 in the middle of the strong back because you can get some sag in the middle, even using 2x6" lumber. You will absolutely love this boat for s. west fl. I was in Chokoloskee with mine in February and ran 85 miles in 3 days of fishing, and burned only about 5 gallons with the Merc 20 4 stroke. It's an amazing shallow poling skiff. Good luck with your build. Mike

willg
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by willg » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:55 am

Welcome and congratulations on your decision to build a boat. May as well enjoy the process no matter the time it takes. It's actually a lot of fun and makes for some great day dreaming as you plan and think ahead. Plus, your 6 mo old might be able to handle a snoopy rod by the time you launch!

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:58 am

Welcome CaptainSolar!!! Sorry I am a little late but as you can see, you have already received notes from some of our great builders!!!! We look forward to watching your build and the FS18 is a great boat!! Reid is currently building one at the shop in Vero!! Feel free to stop by and discuss with Reid if you have time to get over to our side of the state!! Jeff

captainsolar
New Poster
New Poster

Post by captainsolar » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:05 am

Thanks everybody. I'm really looking forward to it. It's already off to a momentous start. I bought everything to build the strongback and my A/C went out yesterday so the build was already put on a temporary delay :oops: :oops: :oops:

Dutch1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Dutch1 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:02 am

Welcome to the forum captainsolar!

It will be good to see another fs18 being built. I used 2x10's for my strongback. With 4x4s for the feet.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:40 am

Sorry about the Ac, believe I understand how much that sucks. I look forward to your build.

Dutch1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Dutch1 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:36 pm

Oh, and one other thing. Go to walmart and buy a big pack of colored tshirts to wear when you build. I messed up some good shirts building the boat. They are like 8 bucks for 5 of them.