Knoxville Jay’s C17 Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Knoxville_Jay
Active Poster
Active Poster

Knoxville Jay’s C17 Build

Post by Knoxville_Jay » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:19 am

So I have made a decision. After reading through lots of other builds, I have decided that I will make my mold out of disposable, interior grade 3/8 plywood from Home Depot. I have two reasons for this. First, I will be modifying two of the frames to extend the length of the cabin and add a hinged companionway hatch. By using disposable plywood, I can make sure that the ergonomics work out before I ruin $100 sheets of plywood. Second, if I screw up or break something, let it happen to a $16 sheet of plywood first. Once I build the hull and I’m satisfied with my modifications, I will use my disposable molds as templates for my final frames.

I’m not sure how long it will take to cut these out and assemble them on the jig, but I’m off for the next four days, so now is as good of a time as any to get started. I plan on ordering my first batch of plywood on Friday :D

Please feel free to offer any and all constructive criticism!
Last edited by Knoxville_Jay on Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Knoxville Jay’s C17 Build

Post by Eric1 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:30 am

That's a smart plan. :)

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:38 am

Knoxville_Jay, Yes, sounds like a very reasonable plan!!! Jeff

Knoxville_Jay
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Knoxville_Jay » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:52 am

Thanks! I know that it isn't "necessary" but I figure the $99 I spent on 6 pieces of disposable plywood will be well worth it in the long run!

And here I go!

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:33 am

The build has begun!!!!! Jeff

Knoxville_Jay
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Knoxville_Jay » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:34 pm

Well after a couple of trips to Home Depot and a little (okay, a lot) bit of time cleaning the garage, I finally got started!

Station D is ready to go!

wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wegcagle » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:18 pm

Good plan Jay. I didn’t use temporary frames on my GV15 build and regretting it after flipping and reinstalling. I made a few changes that required having to fiberglass a couple of sections back to the frame, so doubled my work. Next boat I’ll definitely use temporary frames.

I’d also recommend putting blue tape around all the edges of the temp frames as well, so that you don’t accidentally epoxy the temp frames to the bottom panels. If you put blue tape under the bottom sections after stitching, but before glueing you’ll save a lot of epoxy by preventing it from squeezing through onto your floor below :wink: Ask me how I learned that :oops:

The first cuts sure are exciting! Congrats on a solid start.

Will

GV15, D4 done! Dreaming about the next one

Knoxville_Jay
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Knoxville_Jay » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:51 pm

Will, that's great advice. I was going to use something like Saran wrap or parchment paper, but painter's tape would be a million times easier.

I noticed that some people "chopped up" their frames a bit trying to get them unstuck from the hull. I'm too sloppy (or at least I have been in the past) with epoxy to keep them from suffering the same fate.

Even though these are throw away molds, I'm still taking great care to get the measurement exact so that I can use them as templates later (assuming that I don't tear up the edges). Everything is triple measured.

topwater
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by topwater » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:36 am

use packing tape on the frames anywhere there is a seam going over them .
Novi 23 finally launched !

wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wegcagle » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:50 am

Jay, not sure about Saran Wrap, but I made a huge mess once by trying to cover something with plastic painters drop cloth. The epoxy basically melted the thin plastic as is kicked. It’s way more exothermic than I gave it credit for :help: . I’d stick to things that can handle the heat like (packing tape like Topwater suggested or blue painters tape).

I also did not have a lot of success using duct tape. It would come unstuck as the epoxy hardened. My guess is that the heat was melting the sticky from the duct tape.

Have fun!
Will

GV15, D4 done! Dreaming about the next one