GT27 Build (Wes K)

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
wkisting
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: GT27 Build (Wes K)

Post by wkisting » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:03 pm

Huge milestone today... all fore and aft floor stringers (though not all frames yet) are now filleted and taped! They came out great, so it was definitely worth all the care, time, and hard work to align everything.
20190422_173905.jpg

Wes
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My build thread is here --> viewtopic.php?f=12&t=63644

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:14 pm

Now you must need to run all the tanks and lines and stuff.

Are you going to put water in the floor or higher?
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Bogieman
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bogieman » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:30 pm

Hi Wes! Yes, that's quite a milestone. A lot of hard work there. She's looking great too

wkisting
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wkisting » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:11 am

I keep going back and forth on systems. I'm thinking I might put a 20-30 gallon water tank under the floor just to have it as an option, but I am fairly confident that a couple of 7-gallon jerry cans under the sink (1 clean water, 1 gray - the way a lot of people do in micro-RV/van builds) would suffice to cover our drinking and hand-washing needs for several days at a time.

I think a hot water showerhead to rinse off in the aft cockpit is probably better than building a shower in the cabin (yielding less moisture and more space in the interior). I could draw the supply straight from the lake through, say, a 5 micron filter to remove scum. At that level of filtration, it wouldn't be drinking safe, but it would be plenty adequate to rinse off sand, sweat, etc. The alternative would be to filter down to 0.5 microns and run it to the 20 or 30-gallon tank, then tap that to supply both the interior sink and the transom shower. Regardless, instead of draining the shower to a gray tank, I'd probably just use it strictly for rinsing (no soap) and let it drain back to the lake just like most transom/swim showers. Not as luxurious as a proper shower, of course, but a huge step up from the multi-day showerless camping trips my girls are already used to. Cheaper/simpler to build and less weight/complexity.

For the outboard, I have no idea what tank or lines to run. Is it better to have a built in fuel tank or portable tanks stowed under the seats? I believe the plans suggest a tank mounted under the forward cockpit sole. That seems like it would maximize capacity and also help balance the trim fore and aft against the weight of the motor. Although I also understand this design is sensitive to forward weight and believe I read somewhere that a GT23 builder moved his fuel tank further aft for that reason.

Lots to think about. I welcome input, suggestions--especially from those of you who have learned the hard way what kinds of systems work better than others. This is all new to me, coming from a succession of minimalist daysailers and kayaks, not power boats.
Wes
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:08 am

Fuel down. Low maintenance.

Water up. For maintenance.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

wkisting
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wkisting » Thu May 02, 2019 11:59 am

Can someone explain fuel tanks to me? Moeller offers a wide assortment of polyethylene tanks they claim are ABYC/NMMA compliant. They also have a separate line of "redi tanks" which they tout as pre-certified to meet all EPA/CARB standards. Shouldn't ALL new manufacture tanks meet those standards? Is there a difference, or is it just marketing hype?

The redi tanks claim to come with instructions and support/certification from Moeller to ensure EPA compliance. Will that matter/help for the inspection process when I request a hull ID number at the end of my build?

The 40-gallon tank I was considering is probably too tall, so I'm down to one of these two alternatives:

- Moeller "Redi-Tank" 35-gallon belly tank: https://www.easternmarine.com/moeller-3 ... ta001102br
- Moeller 39-gallon belly tank: https://www.oceanlinkinc.com/product/39 ... 001355bdv/

The latter is more expensive and not a "redi tank", yet appears to have more up-to-date EPA compliance-type fittings, such as the Attwood fuel demand valve. I would appreciate any advice.
Wes

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Thu May 02, 2019 1:51 pm

That's a question for Moeller but I think the Redi tank is required in California only.
CARB is California Air Resources Board . The ABYC and EPA rules are constantly revised and slowly converging.
ABYC is a standard for production boats and the additional EPA / CARB requirements currently only apply only to CA and only to production boats, to the best of my knowledge.
An EPA CARB certification is a piece of paper showing the type of material, porosity etc. The physical difference I know is that there is a second tank vent that goes to the fill hose.

To my knowledge, nobody checks that type of compliance on an amateur built boat and in all cases, the tank will have a sticker that says ABYC NMMA compliant.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

wkisting
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wkisting » Thu May 02, 2019 9:04 pm

Thanks, that's what I was hoping to hear. I have to believe new manufacture tanks are up to current specs from a company as large as Moeller. I did write to their information email address a few days ago, but haven't received a response. Despite the obnoxiously high cost, I've decided to purchase the 39 gallon tank. After a LOT of measuring and cardboard mockups, it seems to offer the best fit for the available space under the cockpit sole, keeping the weight of the fuel as low and as far aft as any tank design I've been able to find in or around that ~40 gal capacity.
Wes

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz » Thu May 02, 2019 9:38 pm

I am pretty sure Speedy Tanks can build and ship you a custom tank for less than that. And that would let you maximise the space. It would be worth giving them a call and chance. I am well pleased with the tank they built for me.

wkisting
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wkisting » Fri May 03, 2019 8:13 am

Thanks. I considered the custom aluminum tank option. It's definitely a little cheaper with at least two vendors I found, but I'd prefer to stick with a crosslinked polyethylene tank. With a custom tank, I'm certain I could get higher capacity and a better fit, but at 39 gallons, that's already 240 lbs. of fuel plus 30 lbs. for the tank. I'm reluctant to add any more fuel/weight to the forward area, based on forum comments indicating the GT design is weight-sensitive near the bow.

Unbelievably, despite hundreds of available tank designs in polyethylene, most that have a desirable overall height below 12" (including the top fittings) are so long that, due to the slope of the GT's bow, would still sit too high if installed properly on the level. The tank I've settled on (FTA001355BDV) appears to be the only one near the desired capacity (~40 gal) that is short enough and has sufficient belly taper to nestle well below the sole. The only other tanks that seemed workable were substantially lower capacity (~29 gal or less) except for the 35 gal. Redi tank I linked, which I also think would fit. I really don't like the price, but after hours of fiddling, measuring, and mocking up tanks in cardboard, I think it's worth eating the extra cost to be sure I have enough clearance to keep the sole at the plan-specified height, with a little room for reinforcement (to ensure the sole will not flex and press down on the tank fittings) and a hatch for periodic inspection of the lines/fittings and to air out any moisture (I think condensation is inevitable when cold fuel is poured into a warm tank/compartment).
Wes