GT27 Build (Wes K)

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
wkisting
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: GT27 Build (Wes K)

Post by wkisting » Fri May 03, 2019 9:25 am

LOL, the vendor just called and said that despite the tank being listed on both their site and Moeller's, the rep is now telling them the tank may no longer be made. She's going to let me know for sure in a few days. At this point, I may have to go with a custom tank.

Wes
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My build thread is here --> viewtopic.php?f=12&t=63644

wkisting
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wkisting » Sun May 05, 2019 12:20 pm

Well, it took about 40 hours to cut, fit, fillet, and tape in all the floor stringers under the cabin and the aft cockpit, but they are finally in!
P1070594.JPG
Wes
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Sun May 05, 2019 1:16 pm

Looks good.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Sun May 05, 2019 2:18 pm

Very nice!

:)
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

wkisting
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wkisting » Sun May 05, 2019 4:43 pm

Thanks! It's exciting to see it coming together, and at this point, I'm practically an artist with epoxy fillets. :)

Some updates on systems, which I'm having to plan as I go...

I've settled on a 18 gallon freshwater tank under the floor, at about the midpoint of the cabin (between frames 4 and 5). It's the Ronco B235 at 6"H x 18"W x 40"L, which means I'll have to cut a 6" x 18" hole in the middle of frame 4 or 5 to fit the length. (I'll probably also install another center frame about 8" further forward or aft to hem the tank in securely. I think that shouldn't compromise hull strength to any significant degree. At a gallon of water per person, per day, that gives our family of five about 3.5 days of water--perfect for a long weekend excursion. We'll just add a few jerry cans on the rare occasions we take a longer trip.

Still waiting to hear back from the vendor on the availability of the 39 gallon fuel tank. If that's not available, it seems I'll have to go with the 35gallon. Mostly guessing, but with a 50hp outboard running at half throttle, I estimate I'll burn 2.5 gph and see a speed of ~5.5 mph. So that would be a cruising range of about 14 hours / 77 miles. We could get a small portable tank if we need to extend that, but that should be plenty to get us from town to town, or marina to marina, on most lakes and rivers I'm familiar with.

The engine bracket is proving to be quite a challenge. They are EXPENSIVE. My dad is a steel fabricator, so he could make me one in stainless, but I don't know how small/thin I can go on the scantlings to keep the weight down. Aluminum would be quite a bit lighter (1/3 the weight), but again, I don't know how small/thin to go on the scantlings to hang a 50hp (~220 lbs.) safely and stand up to trailering stresses. Commercial brackets are all over $1K, and nearly $2K if you opt for an integrated swim platform. Then there is the $250-$450 shipping cost on top of that. Ugh.
Wes

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz » Sun May 05, 2019 7:00 pm

Actually $2500 does not feel too bad if it is a nice bracket. I had $4500 in the one I put on my Seasport :help:
Of coarse my shipping cost was just a tad higher :roll:

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Sun May 05, 2019 7:05 pm

Fuzz wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 7:00 pm
Actually $2500 does not feel too bad if it is a nice bracket. I had $4500 in the one I put on my Seasport :help:
Of coarse my shipping cost was just a tad higher :roll:
What’s the freight rate for pack moose?
Jaysen wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm
I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz » Sun May 05, 2019 7:27 pm

Variable, if I have to hunt it, shoot it, butcher it and wrap it then it dang high :wink:
If I catch another dumb one standing in the yard price goes down :D

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Sun May 05, 2019 8:04 pm

8O

:lol: :lol: :lol:
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Netpackrat
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Netpackrat » Sun May 05, 2019 8:42 pm

wkisting wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 4:43 pm
The engine bracket is proving to be quite a challenge. They are EXPENSIVE. My dad is a steel fabricator, so he could make me one in stainless, but I don't know how small/thin I can go on the scantlings to keep the weight down. Aluminum would be quite a bit lighter (1/3 the weight), but again, I don't know how small/thin to go on the scantlings to hang a 50hp (~220 lbs.) safely and stand up to trailering stresses. Commercial brackets are all over $1K, and nearly $2K if you opt for an integrated swim platform. Then there is the $250-$450 shipping cost on top of that. Ugh.
If there is a marine supply nearby with a bracket that you like, you could take a cheap dial calipers with you and surreptitiously measure some material thicknesses. :wink: