GT27 Build (Wes K)

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.

wkisting
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: GT27 Build (Wes K)

Post by wkisting » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:00 am

Tons of rain this weekend, which lowered temps to a merciful 80 degrees. Managed to get the front bulkhead 'glassed in, cut and glue up two of the forward cockpit floor stringers, and 'glass in another transverse frame under the cabin sole (had to cut one out and reinstall further aft to fit the water tank). Probably another weekend or two of work to get the forward cockpit floor frames in and a support system for the (bow-mounted, under the sole) fuel tank. I'm thinking I'll make a large, slightly raised hatch that is a little wider and longer than the tank (~48" x 22") with plenty of reinforcing so it can be walked on without flex. If the hatch is 1" higher than the surrounding sole, water should run off to either side and out the scuppers. The hatch will make it easy to inspect the fuel tank compartment and hoses, adjust hold-down straps, etc.

For the fuel line from the tank to the outboard, I'm thinking I'll install a 1.5" diameter PVC tube that runs from the forward bulkhead all the way aft (along and under the starboard deck) through the rear cabin wall. That way, I can pass through the fuel pickup line with no risk of any fuel odor permeating into the cabin. Should work fine, right?
Wes
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My build thread is here --> viewtopic.php?f=12&t=63644

topwater
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by topwater » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:43 am

Thats how i did mine 8)
Novi 23 finally launched !

wkisting
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wkisting » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:28 am

Two of the floor stringers under the forward cockpit sole are now fully 'glassed in place. Two more to go, then a few transverse frames and I'll FINALLY have the entire floor structure in place. Then I just need to trim the tops with 1x1 cleats for gluing down the flooring, and also I'll build a "coffin box" under the forward cockpit sole to seal the fuel tank off completely from the dead space underneath (which I'll fill with buoyancy foam). Can't wait to be past this step and on to installing the cabin... Getting a lot of great help from my 9 and 7 year old girls. They're surprisingly good at laying and wetting out fiberglass tape.
Wes
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

wkisting
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wkisting » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:46 am

Front floor stringers and support frames for gas tank are in!
20190616_071908.jpg
Wes

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:55 am

Make sure to allow the 3% for puffy tank.

I am really nervous about my tanks expanding...I only had like 2 percent. So I am off by 100 basis points which is a lot in the financial world.

When I air tested them to 2 pounds they blew up like balloons. Hopefully they won't ever get much bigger.

Like many air tests; the tanks and connections were good and the test connection failed.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

wkisting
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wkisting » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:18 am

Yes, I incorporated a lot of room for that. Still need to install the bulkhead at the forward end to set the length of the coffin box, but to each side, the tank has 3.5" of space (way more than needed, since even at an unlikely 5% expansion it would only grow 1.25"). I'm trying to figure out what to stick into those spaces that will have enough "give" to let the tank swell, but enough resistance to keep it from shifting more than, say, 1/4" in any direction when filled. At 30 gallons or so, it will weigh around 220 lbs. I know the straps will help and be adjustable, but I'm not sure I want to depend entirely on them to keep it in place. I'd rather wedge it with closed cell foam, I think, and then remove pieces as it swells, if need be.

The way I'm designing the front cockpit sole as essentially a large hatch, I should have very easy access to check on it. I think most/all of the swelling occurs in the first 30 days and then is permanent (not as much ongoing expansion and contraction as many people assume).
Wes

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:21 am

Don't wedge it.

Trust your strapping.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

wkisting
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wkisting » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:17 am

Installed the last floor frames on the GT27 yesterday, so all floor framing is officially done. Still have to trim the upper perimeter with 1x1 cleats to create more surface area for supporting and gluing down the floor, but this is a huge milestone. So glad to have all that filleting and taping of floor stringers and frames behind us!
Wes

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:48 am

Congrats Wes, nice progress!!! Jeff