GT27 Build (Wes K)

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
wkisting
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: GT27 Build (Wes K)

Post by wkisting » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:33 am

And now there's a cockpit sole...
20190811_113046.jpg

Wes
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My build thread is here --> viewtopic.php?f=12&t=63644

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:55 am

Looks great :D
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

wkisting
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by wkisting » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:18 am

Ugh. After a short reprieve thanks to rain and a few cooler days, the dreaded heat is back and as relentless as ever. Progress has slowed again. All I managed to do this entire weekend was build and install the rim for the hatch that will cover the coffin box for the fuel tank.
Wes
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:21 am

Use your downtime to plan systems, wiring, all that..
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:51 am

Wes, I could not agree more, between the heat and rain here in Florida, it is hard to get anything accomplished!!! Jeff

wkisting
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by wkisting » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:57 am

Well, we ended up taking a little over two months off because of the insufferable heat and some family vacation time, but we're just starting back to the build now that the cool Fall weather has arrived. It was nice to have a break after going at it steadily for the past year. Not much new to report, except that I've now installed the hatch rim and built the large hatch that covers the forward fuel tank compartment. It came out great! Just need to settle on an unobtrusive, secure, and simple way to hold it down. Since it doesn't have to be accessed often, I could screw it down with a small bead of sealant along the rim and the fastener holes, but I'm also considering a piano hinge along the forward edge with a pair of hasps at the aft edge. I built it like a griffiths hatch, so even if I don't use sealant, I don't think there's much chance water will be able to travel up over the hatch rim to get into the fuel compartment.
Wes

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:52 am

Wes, welcome back!! Yes the heat has been incredible in Florida this year!! Still a high of 86 through this week!! Again, welcome back!! Jeff

wkisting
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by wkisting » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:50 pm

A few pictures of the recent progress...

I installed the hatch rim and built the hatch that covers the forward fuel compartment. The hatch is very big, but very solid (no flex) and not too heavy. I think this will work really well for keeping out water but allowing for easy inspection of the tank/fittings.
Forward Fuel Tank Compartment.jpg
Forward Fuel Tank Compartment 2.jpg
I also drilled ten 5/8" holes in the transom to prepare for mounting the transom bracket. This was nerve wracking, but with a good drill bit and an old drill guide to help me hold the drill perpendicular to the transom, all came out well.
Transom Holes for Bracket.jpg
Now that I can see from the interior where the bracket mounting holes are located, I can design the backing plates for the bolts and then finish the last bit of floor framing to create a slim well around the mounting areas for periodic access/inspection of the bolt heads. Then I can FINALLY fasten down the sole. It will be so great to get that done...
Wes

Bogieman
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bogieman » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:35 pm

Very nice!

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:51 am