GT27 Build (Wes K)

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
wkisting
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: GT27 Build (Wes K)

Post by wkisting » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:57 am

Quick idea to run past you all... I installed a frame in front of the bolt holes where the outboard engine bracket will attach. This will keep a 5" deep space forward of the bolt heads clear for future access if I ever need to replace the bolts. The rest of the space under the aft cockpit will be filled with foam.
20191112_170432.jpg
What I'm thinking is that I will install the bolts with the bolt heads on the interior, and attach the lock nuts inside the inspection-hatch-accessible flotation bracket. That way, I can always inspect the lock nuts to make sure they're still drawn up tight. However, I would SEAL the aft cockpit floor permanently, closing off access to the heads of the lower 6 bolts used to attach the bracket. If I ever do need to access them--which shouldn't be for many years--I could then use a hole saw through the aft floor and just patch up the floor again after I'm done replacing the bolts. (Note that I plan to raise the aft floor about 2" yet from the tops of the floor stringers shown in the picture.) The top row of bolt heads and the horizontal backing plate will remain exposed and visible from inside the cockpit.

It's not ideal to seal off the lower bolts, but after making a cardboard mockup, I think my original plan to build a tall box over the area and install a hatch to keep that area accessible will rob too much space from the relatively small aft cockpit.

There shouldn't be any downside to this approach except the moderate inconvenience of access and floor patching when the time comes to replace the bolts, correct? With stainless hardware, I don't expect a problem any time soon on that front. And I'm thinking the greater priority is a truly sealed cockpit floor so that no water can ever get down under the floor to promote rot.

Wes
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My build thread is here --> viewtopic.php?f=12&t=63644

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:55 am

I might question the aspect of that space staying "sealed" for long. You have holes from the outside. Expect water ingress. I'd use a hatch on that cockpit floor to allow you to inspect for water ingress and allow for quick action if you see it.
Jaysen wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm
I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:13 pm

How about a simple inspection plate? Pie eye type.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

wkisting
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by wkisting » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:12 am

Unfortunately, it wouldn't be simple. Because of the stringers and bolt pattern, I'd need at least three inspection plates if I mount them in the floor. That's because the bolt heads span three separate compartments under the floor, with the floor stringers dividing them. That's why I was originally going to build a vertical well, but then it takes up quite a bit of volume in the already small cockpit, and also requires me to install some kind of tubing to pass through bilge water so it can drain out the scuppers.
Wes
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

wkisting
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by wkisting » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:51 am

Okay, I realized because of the rearward slope/angle of the transom, I can reduce the depth of the box where it rises above the sole (i.e., shave a few inches off how far it intrudes into the aft cockpit leg well space). So I think I'm going to return to my original plan to build a vertical well/box over the bracket bolt area, equipped with one or two access hatches. I agree with Jaysen it's not a good idea to seal it off as I had proposed. I was thinking about access to bolt heads but had completely forgot about inspection for water intrusion, which is important. Appreciate the advice to help me think this through!
Wes

wkisting
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by wkisting » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:57 am

Got a couple of questions for your sage advice:

1. What kind of sealant does one normally use between an engine bracket and the transom? Something really durable and semi-permanent that also enhances the bond, such as 3M 5200, or something less permanent and more flexible (but more likely to need maintenance to keep a good seal)? I'm thinking a high stress part like this is probably wanting 5200, but figured I'd run it by you all.

2. What size scuppers should I realistically be considering for the forward and aft cockpits of the GT27? The high sides make it very unlikely (virtually impossible, I'd wager) that she'll ever ship a wave over the side. Realistically, I'm thinking the only water intrusion will be rainwater. So would a pair of, say, 1-1/2" dia. round scuppers suffice for each cockpit? Or should I be looking for larger scuppers that drain faster? I'm thinking round scuppers would be easiest to install, and I'm leaning toward the stainless variety with a little rubber flap, though it appears via Google search that the delrin/nylon type are easier to source especially in the larger sizes.
Wes

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:00 am

1. 5200

2. I like large scuppers that are simple holes cut in the sides. No need for piping or anything complicated, just a hole. I would make them large, 3" wide?
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

wkisting
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by wkisting » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:33 am

Thanks! 5200 it is.

3" scuppers would be fine and fairly straightforward. I'm thinking a 1-1/2" hole saw, cut two holes side by side and connect them to form a 3" wide oval.

On the forward cockpit, I'll cut them in the sides, of course--in the aft corners just in front of the cabin bulkhead.

For the aft cockpit, is it fine to cut them through the transom? Or is it better to run them out the sides there too? I raised the aft cockpit floor 2", so it will be right at 12" above the lowest part of the transom--shouldn't be any worries about ending up below the waterline.
Wes

wkisting
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by wkisting » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:07 am

Foamed the spaces under the rear cockpit and also had time to fabricate some backing plates so I went ahead and attached the engine bracket this weekend. It was a bear getting the bolts tight with only a small inspection hatch to work through for accessing the bolts inside the bracket, but it came out well.

backing plates.jpg
bracket attached.jpg
Wes

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:32 am

Nice Wes!!! Jeff