Coach's SC-16 in MA

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Coach's SC-16 in MA

Post by piperdown » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:37 pm

Man, you are booking right along! Looking great so far and the chase tubes are laid out nicely :D
This is not a critique...never seen 4x4 blocks for the supports for chairs. Did you bed them in thickened epoxy on the bottom against the hull?

Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

Coach
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Coach » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:41 pm

Hey Piperdown...yes...I glued them in a bed of thickened epoxy on all sides that rest against the stringer and floor. Solid as a rock.

Coach
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Coach » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:55 pm

Got the floor glued down today! Looking forward to fillet, tape and cloth for tomorrow!

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:37 pm

Somehow I don't think the deck will flex like Hermine's. 8)
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Coach
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Coach » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:47 pm

Ya she is gettin' a bit hefty! Got her glassed in today. Not sure whats next? Maybe work on the stern a bit where the cooler is gonna go. That will help me figure out the gunnel supports. Quit for the day to watch the Pats!

I also decided to cut the fuel line chase tube flush to the deck. I used fillet to seal around it, then glassed right over it.
Once the deck is dry I will come back with a hole saw and clean out the tube. My plan is to use this cable gland flush to the deck. I felt like I could make that more water tight than trying to glass around a protruding PVC tube. Plus I think the fit and finish will look better.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:43 pm

Got to ask, are you planning on glassing the knee braces to the bulkhead?
Boat is looking really good but I do not think it will claim the lightness crown from CapeMan :D

Coach
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Coach » Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:12 pm

Hey Fuzz..no I think she is well beyond svelte status! :lol:
And yup was just too excited to get the deck in place. My plan is to have a Yeti Tundra 65 behind me and I am thinking about sliding it in between two sides that are attached to the gunnels. Its one of those ideas thats in your head but you really cannot see it until you try it! Thinking I want the cooler slightly proud and the sides angled towards the sidewall. I will play around with it a bit next weekend. The knees they will get glassed in. Prob next week. Do you guys think she can handle 15hp? :doh: I feel like she is a brickhouse at this point.

cape man

Post by cape man » Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:19 pm

If you go with a 15, I would run a clamping board all the way across the top of the transom to distribute the force. You will need to notch out the ply you have installed to accommodate it.

But that's just me...

Loving this build!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Coach
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Coach » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:16 pm

Hey Capeman..I was planning on some sort of backing plate after I measured the outboard at the marine shop and saw almost 2” of spacing at the clamps. I would like to keep the clean look of the back of the transom but could put a piece of 3/4” ply a little wider than the knees on the back of the transom if necessary. Cut to fit the motor as mounted. That may spread the load. My other thought is to add angle brackets to the inside of the splashwell. Open for ideas.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:19 am

Nice progress!!! Jeff