Coach's SC-16 in MA

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Coach
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Coach's SC-16 in MA

Post by Coach » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:52 pm

So this project has been put aside for the winter but I did take a couple pics of an issue I am contemplating.
The transom sides are just a whisper too low for the flat decking that will be installed up against it.
Take a look at each edge where I placed the cut plywood to show where it would be installed.
What do you guys suggest? I am thinking of just glueing on top of the transom a small riser piece of plywood to cover up the finish of the deck. Kind of a horn at each end. Its cosmetic so not a huge deal but I do want it to look appealing. Kind of disappointed I hadn't thought of this when I started but being a newbie...these things are expected.

I also considered a piece of ASH about 3/4 inch tall to cap the transom and cover those edges. Would be a nice finish but then the transom height would be over 20"

The other consideration is to install the decking and gunwale decking INSIDE the sheer line rubrail and not OVER the rubrail. I would have more cutting to do to make that work but it can be done. My plan was to go over the edge and fill the gap with fillet.

What are your thoughts?

Coach
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Coach » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:02 pm

I have two more thoughts on this. If I glue on a ASH trim piece over the entire transom curve it would become close to 21" at center as it sits now at 20" do I have enough play with a Yamaha motor to make up for it? I see online there are 0.75" holes used as adjustments but i dont have a motor to look at.

The other thought is to bolt on a micro jack to install the motor. I really wanted to keep this simple.

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:08 pm

Coach,

Just my opinion but I would leave the transom height alone, no need to fix one issue only to (possibly) make another one. I like the idea of cutting the deck to fit inside the rubrail. I think this would be a fairly simple fix. You would simply need to run some cleats for the deck edge to sit on.

Reid
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

Coach
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Coach » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:14 am

Hi Reid thank you. I will look at the other options. My concern with bringing the deck inside the rubrail is what to do with the gunnel. Do I follow suit all the way up to the bow? Or do I transition it somehow.
This may be something I let rest until spring. Its just hard to not think about these things and wait months to tackle them!

Coach
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Coach » Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:38 pm

Hello Fellas...hope you all are doing ok during these crazy times. I took the opportunity today to flip her over and put her in place for the next stage of work. Over the winter I did mill some parts for hatches but wanted to wait until spring to glue them up and cut out the deck.
I did manage to purchase a last years model Yamaha 15HP outboard. I mounted it today just to see how the cavitation plate lines up and it looks to be about 2 3/8" lower than the hull bottom. The transom is 20". I am thinking about glueing up a riser to raise the outboard the 2 3/8".

Would you guys agree?

That way I can rest the outboard properly and mark out where to drill holes for mounting bolts and I don't have to kill myself to get the motor in place in the future. Just need another set of hands.

Here are a couple pics so you can see what I mean. Very happy to get going on this project again!

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man » Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:59 pm

Good to see you're back at it. That's a lot of motor for that boat! Be careful! Will be a lot of fun but she will be flying for sure!! We won't be racing Hermine against her!

Make sure you beef up that transom and riser well. You may even think about adding a couple of knees on top to tie it into the existing knees and deck. She will want to flex up top when you punch it.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Coach
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Coach » Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:07 pm

Hey Capeman! Yes this is how the transom is reinforced now. The partitions are tied to the sole risers as well.

My thoughts on the riser would be made from three parts. 1st rests on transom 2 3/8", backed by 2nd that rests on support, backed by another 3/8" clamping board.

What do you think about raising the outboard the 2 3/8" ...prob necessary right?

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz » Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:15 pm

I would say that motor needs to come up for sure. Your plan sounds good. If you put the transom holes in the right spot you will be able to raise the motor even more if needed. You will not know that until a test run.

Coach
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Coach » Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:52 pm

Thanks guys...i took advantage of the decent weather up here and glued up the parts for the riser. It took four. Glad I keep my scrap pile to harvest from! Once I have it glued in place I will send over a pic. I think it will turn out just fine. Appreciate the help! Happy Easter!

Coach
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Coach » Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:52 am

April in New England. Ugh. Tomorrow is another day.