Coach's SC-16 in MA

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Coach
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Coach's SC-16 in MA

Post by Coach » Mon May 27, 2019 3:58 pm

Thanks guys! Cape man...I hope so! I was expecting the surface to be more smooth than it is after this round of fairing. This morning at 6am I went out fishing in my kayaks with my sons and a friend and we all pulled in a schoolie striper! Was hoping for dinner but the hogs haven't made it up here yet. They are prob still in New Jersey!

Once home I put 3 hours this afternoon into sanding the fairing compound hoping to get the surface flat, but there is still some weave showing thru and the taped seams still need some work. Does this look normal for this stage in the process? I could sand more but I was starting to see the clear resin and cloth in a few high spots so I stopped.

My guess is the next round with the Quick Fair will do the trick but I have never done this before so its hard for me to judge. Here are a few pics:

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig » Mon May 27, 2019 6:50 pm

How does it feel when you run your hand over the surface? Looks can be deceiving. Try closing your eyes and feeling for lows.

Coach
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Coach » Mon May 27, 2019 7:28 pm

Its smooth but not flat. You can feel the ripples of the weave and edges of the tape.

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi » Mon May 27, 2019 7:39 pm

Like BB Sig said, looks can be deceiving.
It is ok to sand through the cotton strings that hold the glass together, you just dont want to grind through the actual glass.
My guess from looking at your picture (again looks can be deceiving, so be careful) is that you could sand a little deeper than you have and still be ok.

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB » Tue May 28, 2019 6:00 am

Coach, nobody told you about this part of boat building? This is the fun stuff, you go insane and build arm muscles.... :wink:

She is still looking good. Sanding carefully will help at this point.
><((((º>¸.•´¯`•><((((º> ¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º> ¸.•´¯`•.><((((º>

Coach
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Coach » Tue May 28, 2019 6:20 am

I thought you guys were joking! :lol:
I appreciate the feedback.
I will take the advice from you guys and make another pass with my RO sander. Might pick up some 60grit discs. I was blowing thru the 80s pretty quick.
I do think I can get the side panels and transom down a bit more and this will help me use less of the quick fair this coming weekend. This forum is great!

Aripeka Angler
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Aripeka Angler » Tue May 28, 2019 6:29 am

narfi wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 7:39 pm
It is ok to sand through the cotton strings that hold the glass together, you just dont want to grind through the actual glass.
My guess from looking at your picture (again looks can be deceiving, so be careful) is that you could sand a little deeper than you have and still be ok.
^^^ This is great advice. I’d sand some more with the long board before putting putting on quick fair.
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley

Coach
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Coach » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:09 am

I was able to put 8 hrs into fairing this weekend. I am 100X happier after using Quick Fair! I can work with this finish. What a difference. I am quite sure I didn't mix the BBC filler correctly but I certainly learned alot through the process. She is very smooth and flat now. I have a few spots I need to circle back on but she is looking good. The 3M Hand Longboard with 80 grit was definitely the way to go although my shoulders might complain. Next week I am hoping to get the Skeg on and start laminating the rub rail with my leftover 7mm okoume.

My plan is to laminate three layers of 7mm strips about 2" or 2.5" wide. Painted and then use a rubber bumper rub rail, probably the ones sold at BBC. I wish I could see a sample of the rubber rub rail. Its hard to know how it will look with 3/4" thick wood rail with the rubber bumper. Any thoughts? If I dont use the rubber rail I would choose a hardwood rub rail and not laminate the okoume. Decisions, decisions!

After some research is seems I should roll on a light layer of neat epoxy over the Quick Fair before priming. My plan is to use System 3 Yacht Primer. Do you agree thats the right way to do it?

Here are some pics:

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:18 am

Sure looks good. I'd skip the neat epoxy and go straight to the S3 primer. That's what I've done and three builds. See what other folks say.

Dougster

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:47 pm

Coach wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:09 am
Next week I am hoping to get the Skeg on and start laminating the rub rail with my leftover 7mm okoume.

My plan is to laminate three layers of 7mm strips about 2" or 2.5" wide. Painted and then use a rubber bumper rub rail, probably the ones sold at BBC. I wish I could see a sample of the rubber rub rail. Its hard to know how it will look with 3/4" thick wood rail with the rubber bumper. Any thoughts? If I dont use the rubber rail I would choose a hardwood rub rail and not laminate the okoume. Decisions, decisions!

I'm using .25" x 1.50" x 16" pine lattice, three layers for the rub rail base, then BBC's Tessilmare Radial 30. It is 1.25", the pine lattice is 1.50" wide, I'm going to bull nose the bottom edge just a bit. Should be lite weight looking and clean... Some boats have big rub rails, I like them smaller.
IMG_20190602_143152348.jpg
IMG_20190602_143042914.jpg
><((((º>¸.•´¯`•><((((º> ¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º> ¸.•´¯`•.><((((º>