Mike Smith's TW28 build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Mike Smith's TW28 build

Post by pee wee » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:30 am

mike smith wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:35 pm
OSB has to be the nastiest woodworking products to deal with,but the price is right. I've built the bow mold station B and station I. I'm going to work from the back forward because the laser level want pass through the solid material. Screenshot_20190416-194209.png
I thought MDF was the nastiest woodworking product to deal with! Suggestion for the laser level is to drill a hole through each station either at the baseline or a fixed distance from it and the centerline to shine the laser through all of them at once.

Hank

mike smith
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mike smith » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:22 am

Yes I'm going to drill alignment holes, but for now I am using the baseline and the center line drawn on the form boards. Once all the form boards are on the jig I intend on adding bracing between each of the station and making the final adjustments with the drilled alignment holes. The jig I am building uses unistrut and is fully adjustable with 3/8 bolts and the special nuts that work in the unistrut channel.

colinhart
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by colinhart » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:31 pm

Make sure you leave space inside to move around under the hull as its quite surprising how much work is carried out inside i.e. passing the cable ties back out when stitching the boards, filling in the curve cut to enable a bend and other jobs I have managed to forget. when setting out the strong back I used 200mm x 50mm timbers and still managed to split one section when using a cargo strap though a drilled hole half way in the timber. Its great to see another build makes me realise I must get back on mine now the weathers picking up.

mike smith
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mike smith » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:17 pm

Worked this weekend and everything is just about ready. I'm thinking that I'm ready to purchase the plywood and enough epoxy and glass to build the hull outsides. It's been a little more time consuming than I imagined, but it's been very enjoyable. I have become very good at cutting the components from the stock. Taking the measurements from the plans and putting them on the stock then cutting it, leaving only a fraction of the line that is left for the rasp and sandpaper. I am very pleased with the results of my labor. It's going to be a beautiful vessel.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:00 pm

It will be beautiful for sure. But man, you have bit off a ton of work :wink:

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:05 am

As long as you enjoy what you are doing keep going!
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

icelikkilinc

Post by icelikkilinc » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:27 am

when you assemble the hull, make sure all is very fair.
This is a big mf build :lol:
anything that is not fair before you stitch/glue will result in fairing and sanding at greater expense.
I see you are comfortable with carrying the plan dimensions and cutting to spec.
Follow the same through stitch/glue process, measure and feel happy about it.
that approach will pay its dividends.
Ilker

TW28 launch: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=23369

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:23 pm

I strongly recommend two items for these bigger builds.

1. Laser level. The self leveling type. Watch out fir Chinese crap lasers with 3% accuracy. Expect to spend a hundo.

2. Digital level. I bought the HD model for $150 or so and don't regret it for a second.

I started out thinking I had good enough tools and one day I stopped frame assembly and told my helper, I gotta get some better tools.

Best $250 spent on the job.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:59 pm

Jig saws taught me my lesson about buying good quality tools. I keep buying a little better jig saw and then another one until I finally bought Portacables top of the line saw. That or one by Bosch is the way to go.
One of the absolute best things I bought for boat building is my Fesstool sanders and vac system. No dust sanding is marvellous :wink:

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:38 pm

Not to rain on Mike's parade, but I have a little Festool rts 400 and that thing has been indispensable. I hate the pricetag of the sandpapers, and missed on that budget by a LOT. I switched to the reusable bag after spending a hundred fifty on the paper ones. My environment is jist too harsh.

You are gonna need a good sander Mike. Your boat has a lot of stuff gonna need sanding.

Also, use peelply when you can.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495