Sharkbait PG20

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Dan_Smullen
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Sharkbait PG20

Post by Dan_Smullen » Fri May 29, 2020 11:59 am

sharkbait2576 wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 10:47 am
Going to sand like hell today.
Yes you are. :lol: Good luck, sir. Keep building!

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Fri May 29, 2020 12:12 pm

Nice progress!! Jeff

FluidDynamic
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by FluidDynamic » Fri May 29, 2020 2:36 pm

I'd be lucky to get one panel sanded in a day.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Fri May 29, 2020 3:16 pm

sharkbait2576 wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 9:41 am
Debating on the skeg. Leaning towards no skeg. Opinions?
I think this needs to be re-visited. Why do you not want a skeg? Some hulls do not need them and others do. You may want to post this question in the
"Board index-Plans and Building-Power Boats"
And get feedback from the builders and possibly the designer of the boat.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

sharkbait2576
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by sharkbait2576 » Fri May 29, 2020 9:20 pm

OrangeQuest wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 3:16 pm
sharkbait2576 wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 9:41 am
I think this needs to be re-visited. Why do you not want a skeg? Some hulls do not need them and others do. You may want to post this question in the
"Board index-Plans and Building-Power Boats"
And get feedback from the builders and possibly the designer of the boat.
Just looking at the shape of the bottom, I'm not going to put one on. I'm not running slow where I need the boat to track straight on it's own. The skeg from the motor is a built in rudder that holds it straight anyway. I like the shape without it. It has a slight V all the way to the transom. Just think it'll add drag without much benefit.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Fri May 29, 2020 10:15 pm

The skeg kind of helps in turns, especially in high speed turns. The back of the boat tends to want to go in the direction the motor is pushing it.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

sharkbait2576
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by sharkbait2576 » Fri May 29, 2020 10:23 pm

OrangeQuest wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 10:15 pm
The skeg kind of helps in turns, especially in high speed turns. The back of the boat tends to want to go in the direction the motor is pushing it.
Agreed. It seems this panga has enough “V” in the water to carve at most speeds no?

BarraMan
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by BarraMan » Fri May 29, 2020 10:33 pm

If the designer doesn't specify, then it seems like a personal judgement call to me.

When I look at that hull, I think that without a skeg or a couple of strakes, it will tend to slide in a tight power turn. Hell, my boat, which has 18 degrees of dead-rise at the transom, two strakes and no skeg, will slide in a tight turn - with the help of 250 ponies.

However, I am sure that your hull can be driven in a way that skidding/sliding is a non-issue. That said, I have seen a flat-bottom boat slide off into the mangroves right in front of me when a tight turn was misjudged! 8O

Its your boat! Skeg or no skeg is your call, and you are the one who has to either live with it or fix it later if you are unhappy.

That's one of the many joys of building your own boat! :D

sharkbait2576
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by sharkbait2576 » Sat May 30, 2020 12:10 am

BarraMan wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 10:33 pm
If the designer doesn't specify, then it seems like a personal judgement call to me.

When I look at that hull, I think that without a skeg or a couple of strakes, it will tend to slide in a tight power turn. Hell, my boat, which has 18 degrees of dead-rise at the transom, two strakes and no skeg, will slide in a tight turn - with the help of 250 ponies.

However, I am sure that your hull can be driven in a way that skidding/sliding is a non-issue. That said, I have seen a flat-bottom boat slide off into the mangroves right in front of me when a tight turn was misjudged! 8O

Its your boat! Skeg or no skeg is your call, and you are the one who has to either live with it or fix it later if you are unhappy.

That's one of the many joys of building your own boat! :D
Agreed. I have a Bluewave 20 with a 150. Partial V bottom. I don't mind the sliding a little at higher speeds if it frees it up a little at lower. I kind of go by the shape I see as to how it should handle.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Sat May 30, 2020 5:03 am

Sorry Sharkbait, wasn't trying to tell you how to build your boat, looks like you are doing a great job. Just you asked for opinions about a skeg and got none. The section the question was posted was not in an area most builders or the designers visit. This is a very important question, like BarraMan stated, that if the designer doesn't specify then it is optional at best.

Once again, sorry if it seemed I was offering an opinion.

Ken J
A. A. Milne