Drill/fill gel magic?

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Post Reply
finalfront
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:31 pm
Location: Sedgwick, maine

Drill/fill gel magic?

Post by finalfront » Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:31 am

Hi, I'm finishing up an Fs14 & I'm over-drilling holes & filling & re-drilling for each piece of hardware (particularly thru hull). Can I use gel magic to fill hole? It seems like perfect nonsagging option.
If not, what mix is best?



Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 6697
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:17 pm
Location: Vero Beach

Re: Drill/fill gel magic?

Post by Jeff » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:07 am

Finalfront, you can use GelMagic but it is cheaper to just fill with a thickened epoxy and re-drill. Jeff

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Posts: 2991
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:05 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Drill/fill gel magic?

Post by Dougster » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:45 am

By mixing your own you can also vary the viscosity, making it easy to pour into a vertical hole or cake frosting thick to squeeze into a horizontal hole.

Dougster

finalfront
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:31 pm
Location: Sedgwick, maine

Re: Drill/fill gel magic?

Post by finalfront » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:25 am

Jeff wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:07 am
Finalfront, you can use GelMagic but it is cheaper to just fill with a thickened epoxy and re-drill. Jeff
Thanks Jeff. At this point cheaper is a non-issue. Haha. I have extra gel magic & felt it was good easy way to use it up. Thanks.

joe2700
Active Poster
Active Poster
Posts: 462
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:16 pm
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Drill/fill gel magic?

Post by joe2700 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:49 am

finalfront wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:31 am
Hi, I'm finishing up an Fs14 & I'm over-drilling holes & filling & re-drilling for each piece of hardware (particularly thru hull). Can I use gel magic to fill hole? It seems like perfect nonsagging option.
If not, what mix is best?
I'm a big fan of gel magic but have found it does not work well for this purpose. When ever I drill/fill/redrill with gel magic it cracks significantly when I install a screw, so pieces fall out and the hole strips with minimal torque. It will probably be fine for anything thru-bolted, but I would suggest an alternative for anywhere you will put a screw. Adding a little additional filler to gel magic might work but I haven't tried it.

finalfront
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:31 pm
Location: Sedgwick, maine

Re: Drill/fill gel magic?

Post by finalfront » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:35 pm

joe2700 wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:49 am
finalfront wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:31 am
Hi, I'm finishing up an Fs14 & I'm over-drilling holes & filling & re-drilling for each piece of hardware (particularly thru hull). Can I use gel magic to fill hole? It seems like perfect nonsagging option.
If not, what mix is best?
I'm a big fan of gel magic but have found it does not work well for this purpose. When ever I drill/fill/redrill with gel magic it cracks significantly when I install a screw, so pieces fall out and the hole strips with minimal torque. It will probably be fine for anything thru-bolted, but I would suggest an alternative for anywhere you will put a screw. Adding a little additional filler to gel magic might work but I haven't tried it.
Thanks Joe. I did have that kind of issue with a wf/epoxy fill in a screw hole. What thickener do you recommend for epoxy? Maybe I went too thick?

User avatar
OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster
Posts: 3194
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:14 pm
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: Drill/fill gel magic?

Post by OrangeQuest » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:02 pm

Less filler and more epoxy. For vertical holes that need filling, make a tape scoop/funnel that you fill by pouring a runny mix with the tape funnel directing the mix into the hole.. Less chance of air getting trapped in the hole and you can over fill the hole. Once cured sand smooth.

Remember epoxy has it's strongest bond with gaps, to much filler and there are no gaps between the particles of filler mix. If you make a wood flour epoxy blend that doesn't sag then it's a lot of flour and doesn't hold together very well and has no strength.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

finalfront
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:31 pm
Location: Sedgwick, maine

Re: Drill/fill gel magic?

Post by finalfront » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:44 pm

Jeff wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:07 am
Finalfront, you can use GelMagic but it is cheaper to just fill with a thickened epoxy and re-drill. Jeff
Hey jeff.
Whats ur opinion on drill/fill hole thickener? Just wood flour?

joe2700
Active Poster
Active Poster
Posts: 462
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:16 pm
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Drill/fill gel magic?

Post by joe2700 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:24 pm

finalfront wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:35 pm

Thanks Joe. I did have that kind of issue with a wf/epoxy fill in a screw hole. What thickener do you recommend for epoxy? Maybe I went too thick?
I'll probably try west system 404 or colloidal silica(406) since I have them left over from when I used to use west system epoxy. I think you want a structural adhesive filler.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Fuzz and 6 guests