CX19 progress updates Perth WA

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Bowmovement
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: CX19 progress updates Perth WA

Post by Bowmovement » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:53 pm

Welcome Coldwaterdiver,
Be sure to post lots of pics when you get started.

Matt

"Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteers be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

gerry
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by gerry » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:16 am

Hi again,

Thank you for the comments and welcome too, I have been kept busy so have some more updates.

I have taped the panel joins and the chines. the keel and transom are next and then I will try to have some help to do the cloth for the inside hull. I did the outside of the hull on my own and I don't really want to repeat the experience, it was a very very long two days :oops:

quick video http://stitchandglue.hobby-site.com/vid ... g_0524.mov

And more at http://stitchandglue.hobby-site.com

Keep you posted, looking forward to do the keel.

Gerry

gerry
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by gerry » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:26 am

The keel, bow and transom have now been taped. I made a better roller for the wet out board which made the job twice as fast. I now need to prepare the cloth for the inside of the hull. I am pleased with how the taping turned out. Preparation was the key, by the time the tape was rolled out it, it was just getting warm on the roller. The new green gloves made a big difference over the cheap white latex ones I was using before.

Some more photos;

The keel.
The bow.
The transom.
Marking the tape lines definitely minimised wasting epoxy.
The new roller.
On the the tool list is a new variable speed die grinder, hopefully can get one very soon. It can use use sanding drums, flap wheels, and carbide burrs and should help speed up progress a lot over having to sand by hand all the time.
more pictures at http://stitchandglue.hobby-site.com/
Post more updates soon,
Gerry
Last edited by gerry on Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

rcihard
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by rcihard » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:26 pm

Very neat work Gerry.
Couple of questions.
Do you find the roller wets out the tape faster and better than a squeegee in your wet out box??
Did you make the roller?
Do you wet out the whole length of tape for those long runs or do you lay it in short pieces.
Would appreciate your response to the above, I am building the GT27 and will be taping lengths up to 6-7 metres :help: so any advice to speed the job up would be great.
Richard

peter-curacao
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by peter-curacao » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:03 pm

Richard I know you didn't ask me but I just want to give you my idea if okay by you?
In my opinion you don't need a wetoutbox like that, these and many more are done without and they are in the length range you are talking about.Just roll in the wood with epoxy, lay your fillet if required, then put over the tape and roll it in with a epoxy roller not the foam ones but the ones with a hard core, this enables you the squeeze out the epoxy further into the dry tape.Hope this is clear, it's difficult to explain without pics

gerry
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by gerry » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:26 am

Hi Richard,
Do you find the roller wets out the tape faster and better than a squeegee in your wet out box??
The roller is just to roll up the tape after it has been saturated with epoxy, I use a brush with bristles cut in half to shorten and stiffened it. I put a plastic sheet on the wet out board for each new length of tape.
Did you make the roller?
Yes out of two pine blocks, drilled a hole right through for the broomstick, two blocks so the drill bit would go the whole length ~6". Between tapes it gets a little tacky, so I smear a little epoxy on the broom stick to keep slippery.
Do you wet out the whole length of tape for those long runs or do you lay it in short pieces.
I do the whole length in one hit. I weigh the cloth tape and mix an equal weight of epoxy in an icecream container. Takes me about 45min do each 6m length from starting mixing to beginning the next one.

Hi Peter, I have been following your build too, you are making progress.
you don't need a wetoutbox like that
Using a wetoutbox makes the job far easier and quicker in my case. I waste less, no drips and I know it will be close to 50/50 ratio and have hardly any air bubbles trapped, and it is applied evenly. Also in 35C plus heat, the epoxy goes off really quick, so I can not mix the whole amount of epoxy needed for the 6m length and then try and wet it on the boat. Plus it is far more comfortable standing up doing it a bench and taking it over the boat and rolling it and patting down with gloves and then use a roller. The other problem I have is dripping sweat everywhere in the boat, especially out of the gloves.

Hope that helps Richard, and thanks for your input Peter too.

Gerry

rcihard
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by rcihard » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:13 pm

Thanks peter for the info.
Gerry your input is great, I will modify my wet out box and build a roller and I like the cut down brush idea too.
Cheers
Richard

gerry
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by gerry » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:46 am

Hi again,
I am on to the next task of doing the inside cloth for the hull. I need to look at the plans again but I have realized for a while now the clamping board is too narrow for the outboard engine mount bolt hole pattern. It looks I need to laminate some ply and glue underneath the wooden clamping board and shorten the stringers to match. I also need to get the PVC pipe now used on the transom bottom edge to strengthen it. I also need to work out the cloth pattern for the hull. The two options I have are overlap at the keel or the keel has the full width of the cloth straight down the middle. Also does the cloth go over the PVC pipe or under? I am trying to keep all the information in one place. This forum has been great in finding a lot of information. Am trying to finish the boat for the next Rottnest Island Channel Swim in one year's time. This is the year it needs to be launched 8O Will likely be doing most of the inside glassing myself, any time saving tricks and tips?
Cheers,
Gerry

rcihard
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by rcihard » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:26 pm

Hi gerry,
Cant help with your questions mate, don't know a thing about the CX19.
I'm a bit curious about your comments re the pvc pipe :doh: Is this a chase tube :?: I don't think you would laminate over any pvc because of adhesion problems. Anyway I am sure someone will chip in with a response.
Hope you make it for the Rotto swim.
Cheers
Richard

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:03 pm

Gerry I'm assuming the CX19 is basically the same as the C19 so put the cloth under the pvc, the pvc is for drainage which won't work real well under the fiberglass :wink: . For the clamping board just do a peice and notch for the stingers, don't cut the stringers down. Then tape it to the stringers for strength and also to the other clamping board as well as glue it to the transom. Use some screws to hold it in place until it is solid and then fill the screw holes. You'll be covering it with fiberglass anyway.

Tom
Last edited by TomW on Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy