CX19 progress updates Perth WA

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: CX19 progress updates Perth WA

Post by tech_support » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:07 am

You can laminate glass over a PVC pipe, no problem. It will stick pretty well, especially if you scratch up the pipe with sand paper. Its is not as strong of a bond as with wood, but for hull stiffeners the glass is going around the half PVC pipe and bonding to the hull (either glass or wood).

A 1/2 round of PVC pipe wrapped in Biax makes a great hull stiffener and also a place to run rigging/wire

peter-curacao
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by peter-curacao » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:01 am

TomW wrote: the pvc is for drainage which won't work real well under the fiberglass :wink: .
What do you mean Tom? :doh:

Dog Fish
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Dog Fish » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:12 am

I have used 1/2 round pvc as stiffeners in the past, covered with biax as Joel has said and it worked just fine. The last few times though I used the pvc as a mold and I sprayed the pvc with pva mold release and layed up some biax than filled with polyurethane foam. After shaving the foam flush with the pvc, I popped it out and bam,a light weight stiffener that I know the biax will stick to when layed over the top. Yes, Its more work but its very light and works good. :idea:

Brian :)

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:22 am

It won't drain under the fiberglass cloth. It needs to be on top of the cloth. Sorry about that! More importantly you will not get the cloth down in the corner for the strenth to tie it to the transom and tape.

Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:00 pm

TomW wrote:It won't drain under the fiberglass cloth. It needs to be on top of the cloth. Sorry about that! More importantly you will not get the cloth down in the corner for the strenth to tie it to the transom and tape.

Tom
Tom I still don't understand you, sorry Gerry for this intrusion but I like to know if I have done/build something wrong :wink:

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW » Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:52 am

Peter he was asking if he should put his Pvc down before or after he laid down his fiberglass cloth. Your fine and far beyond that step. It's a different boat from yours and different construction. Gerry just needs to lay down his fiberglass cloth and go on from there. Everything goes on top of the initial layer of fiberglass cloth. What he was asking about was the PVC tunnel at the transom between the outer stringer and the inner stringer. The area between them gets foamed with limber holes at the outside stringer and the inside stringer and the PVC tunnel between them which is covered with a fiberglass strip of tape after it is put in to keep the foam from filling it in. But this is after the the initial layer of fiberglass is put in and the stringers and frames are put back in.

Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

gerry
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by gerry » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:51 am

Thanks for the update Tom, I understand how it should work now. For some reason I thought it was for strength only and hence my question if it can be underneath the cloth. I see that it is a drainage channel now so should make sense that it is above :oops:

Now that I don't have to worry about the lower engine mount hole block or the pvc pipe until later, I can concentrate on the cloth again. I just wanted to double check before starting.

Today I mapped out how I am going to do the cloth, and will have enough to complete the inside up to the style line. Tomorrow I will cut the pieces to length and put aside. Then it is a little more sanding before I can start :roll:

Cheers,
Gerry

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:01 am

thanks

gerry
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by gerry » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:57 am

Hi again,

This weekend I began the cloth on the inside of the hull. I managed to do the side panels and will have to do the bottom panels next weekend, I ran out of time. It was a long day. I mixed small pots and and applied all day Saturday and then this morning I filled the weave and made sure where the overlap is for the bottom cloth I will enough resin over the cloth to lightly sand. I am pleased with the progress, but the bottom panels will be a challenge :doh:

Some pictures of the panels.

There is more at http://picasaweb.google.com/gerard.hale ... l_cloth_1#

Cheers,
Gerry
Last edited by gerry on Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

Dog Fish
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Dog Fish » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:39 am

Looking good :)

Brian :)
Last edited by Dog Fish on Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.