AD 14 KIELGE

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: AD 14 KIELGE

Post by Fuzz » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:13 pm

Very nice work with the trailer bunks. Your entire build is looking good, keep it up.

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:50 am

Hi,
Today I got the PS bottom and side ready for fibreglass. First I placed the fibreglass nicely against the hull
and then I prepared 5 pieces of peel ply and laid them out as a test and then I rolled them around cardboard rolls and put them at the ready numbered from 1 to 5 in the corner of my shed.

Here the peel ply over the fibreglass:

And here just the fibreglass:

And now according to the weather report I have to wait with the wetting out for a whole week. Only then it will be warm enough. But it does not matter I have 3 small chores to do.
First I will extend the flanged deck ring on the bow side with a 6 cm high half pipe. I built the deck ring up of 2 rings of plywood. I will glue this half pipe also out of plywood pieces and once I have glued the deck ring to the mast partner it will serve as a hold against the mast end when I step the mast. I hope to be able to do it with the sail assembly already bent to the mast because the lot will only weigh roughly 12 kg.
The other 2 things I must do is to drill the 4 holes of the bottom rudder pintle ( or is it the gudgeon ? at any rate the metal piece attached with 4 screws to the transom ) and the 2 holes of the bow eye one number bigger and fill them with epoxy before I can redrill them again with no 6 for final mounting.
It sounds like not very much but my experience is, that I must not plan how long this will take, it will take longer like all my boat builder tasks do. Nevertheless I am confident that splashing time this summer is very likely.
Greetings from Karl
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:16 am

Nice work Karl!! Hope your weather is getting warmer now!! Jeff

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fuzz » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:08 am

It has started to warm up here so it must be getting nice there for you by now. Funny how a little warm weather makes life seem brighter :D I hope it warms up and lets you make good progress on your boat.

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:24 am

Yes it is warm enough during the day but at night we still have 2 - 8 degrees celsius which is a bit to cool for the epoxy.
I think I will start the gas heater over night and will have always a temperature over 10 degrees celsius which my noname epoxy ordered from Germany needs.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fuzz » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:48 pm

I think most epoxy needs to be that or more to cure. Plus it is much nicer if you are working in that temperature :D

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:17 am

Good to see you back at it Karl, even if it is just getting ready to go. Summer splash!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:59 am

Hi,

While I am waiting for the right temperature for my epoxy application to side and bottom I came across this 9 pages Hall of Fame :

http://www.junkrigassociation.org/resou ... 20Hill.pdf

Greetings from Karl

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:56 am

OK, I like sailing and adventuring and perhaps have sailed more than some. But I have limits, and this couple has traveled way beyond them. We overcame the serious breakdowns but they they add up over time and have an impact on your mind. The variety and severity of them finally convinces you that you are walking a thin line when you go to sea that is not merely abstract or theoretical. Things at almost any moment, even a calm one, can go belly up. You feel it viscerally. Their catalog of disasters would almost certainly have defeated me. In addition, we had no appetite for cold weather but these folks are gluttons for punishment. A tip of the hat. They do get some serious bragging rights although I'm sure that wasn't their goal.
Tony

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:10 am

gonandkarl wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:50 am
It sounds like not very much but my experience is, that I must not plan how long this will take, it will take longer like all my boat builder tasks do. Nevertheless I am confident that splashing time this summer is very likely.
Yep, everything seems to take a little longer with boat building, but the journey sure is enjoyable, so long as you're not worried about time. Splashing this summer would be nice, but enjoying the build each step of the way will be nice too. With a bit of luck, you'll achieve both. :D
Completed R13 two part nesting rowboat. ST 21 under construction .... where seeking perfection is recognized as the enemy of the good.