AD 14 KIELGE

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
das boot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: AD 14 KIELGE

Post by das boot » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:37 pm

You are making good headway on it I cheated on the sanding part I used a belt sander and used Tallcom powder for the filler it worked well when it was getting close to being smooth I went to a orbital sander for the finish it worked out well for me.
I got in contact with Bondo thanks for that contact info.

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:41 am

Hi,
My progress with the boat would be much faster if I did not distract myself with other projects. I found a special offer at the local hardware store for a sturdy carport for 370 euros where I could not say no. My wife thinks we need no carport but I would like my new sail boat to be from the start under a roof to protect it from the bad weather we have up to 8 months of the Year. Little did I know that mounting such a think does take time and someone with preferably strong arms. So I battled along by myself for the last 4 weeks in which I managed only to paint the 27 wooden parts with wood preserving paint and to dig 5 of the 6 foundation holes and concrete the 3 left supporting poles into the holes. Luckyly my son came home this weekend and he finished in 2 days the rest. He dug the last hole helped me concrete the 3 right hand poles and then put the 9 crossbeams for the roof on to the top. And the screwing down of the roof panels and the surrounding boards was a matter of 2 hours for him. So from Wednesday onwards it is sanding the boats bottom again and with some luck I will splash at the begin of September a date my wife decided on because it will not be so hot any more and I can stuff around at the slipping place as long as I want because I will be the only one there besides all my splashing guests, family from Holland and London and friends of Austria and some school mates who actually got me hooked on sailing some 60 years ago all in all at least 50 people. With a bit of luck my sister in law who lives on the Dutch Island Saba can also make it with one of her 2 sons and her grandchildren. But here is a picture of the car ( boats ) port.
Greetings from Karl
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:46 am

Tell Mrs Karl she's lucky. Mrs and I fought over Lil Bit's home... the garden was moved :)

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:09 am

Yes, Karl, I find that digging post holes doesn't go quite as fast as when I was 25. 8O
Tony

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:09 am

Keep focussed on that September splash Karl, and it will happen. :D
Completed R13 two part nesting rowboat. ST 21 under construction .... where seeking perfection is recognized as the enemy of the good.

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:26 am

Hi,
I am focusing on the splash in September but there is only so many hours one can sand in this god forsaken heat, so when I have to rest I look for boating things. I cam across a special offer for automatic life jackets from Marinepool so I ordered one. I received it today and played around with it for now 2 hours after lunch reading the instructions carefully over and over again. Luckily my brother in law who is sailing every year in the Adria or Baltic sea could solve my foremost question. Do I have to open the little zip on the sides should I fall into the water ? He knew the answer that the co2 gas bottle will blow up the jacket and press the zip open. I am really glad about that because I know for sure I would not be able to fiddle with a little zip in an emergency. And so it looks on the dry dock just dont know how to change the portrait to stand up.
Greetings from Karl

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:35 am

Karl, You look really safe!! Very nice!! Jeff

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:17 am

Karl,
Here's an idea for you, it doesn't cost much: Jump into a pool with this vest on; you can replace the cartridge. I recommend this not so much to test to see if it works, although that's not a bad idea, but to get an idea of how well you can swim when it is inflated. Although I'm not familiar with this brand, generally these vests are usually designed to inflate to a type I (at least that's how the US coast guard rates them) which means that if you are unconscious, they will hold your head out of the water so you can breathe. But they are not necessarily the best to swim in since they are designed primarily to keep you afloat while you wait for rescue. This is not meant as criticism at all, but just to give you an awareness of what to expect in an emergency.
That said, I've never gone overboard except when sailing a dinghy, and my recommendation is to stay on the boat. :lol:
Tony

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:37 pm

Thanks Tony,
In the desrciption they suggest the same thing as what you said just to try it out without gas but to inflate it with the mouthpiece. But I will test it with the gas it only costs 8 euros for a new one and then I will know what to expect even that the lakes I will be sailing on are not wider than 3 km and the longest one is 32 km overall and they are all well equipped with storm warning lights and a lot of water rescue volunteers on the shores. The only person who drowned after falling from a boat on our beautiful lakes over the last 50 years was last year a fisherman without a life jacket and he was unable to swim. As these lakes are so clear a lot of divers are attracted to them from all over Europe and they die quite often because of some problems mainly low temperatures at considerable depths ( 50 metre plus ). I am definitely looking forward to nice and safe sailing soon. Until it is that far I am the proud owner of 3 life jackets 2 cheap ones and this new one which is not clumsy at all and lets you move around on the boat and it weighs very little.
Greetings from Karl

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:55 pm

Glad you planning to be safe!!! Jeff