AD 14 KIELGE

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
snook
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: AD 14 KIELGE

Post by snook » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:55 pm

just beautiful, you have such a great mind for problem solving. Terrulian called it, that life vest demo was just great fun and gets my vote.

Karl, let me be the first to say, you are an Austrian badass!

thanks for being Karl from Austria.

eric from florida 8)

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:33 am

Hi,
Someone wrote the more one is on the computer updating the building thread and reading all the other threads the less one will get on with the boat building. I can only say this is really true with the exception of Glossieblack he gives us a perfect update and achieves in one day as much on his build for which I would need a month. The moral of the story is that I have to forget the splashing now in September but will have it for sure next May. It is already too cold and I am still sanding the inside cabin with 1. flipping, 2. hanging centreboard, 3. fitting deck hardware, 4. adapting to the trailer and 5. rigging still to be done it just will not work out this month. But I am confident that I can do these 5 tasks over Winter.

The cabin near the bow is finished and was inspected yesterday by my granddaughter Lea for whom I am building this boat:

The rest of the cabin still needs sanding and painting:

Greetings from Karl
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:01 am

Greetings Karl,

It looks as though we'll be launching around the same time next year. :D

Smart decision to not make life a misery trying to launch this year. Even if you turned yourself inside out and made it, you'd only get a day or two on the water before winter forced you to hibernate.
Completed R13 two part nesting rowboat. ST 21 under construction .... where seeking perfection is recognized as the enemy of the good.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:31 am

How do you eat an elephant?

One bite at a time.
Not sure who it was around here that said that in response to a comment from a builder about the overwhelming aspect of completing a build, but it has stuck with me. It really does apply to just about any big job we have to do. Pick a task then do it. It's exactly how you've gotten this far in your build. You're almost done. Just a few more bites.

As to glossiblack and his build... I'm still not convinced he's a human. He has to be a demigod at a minimum.

Karl, that picture of your granddaughter sitting in the bow with a smile on her face is priceless. I can see why you are building her a boat. I think I'd do the same.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:50 pm

Karl you should be proud! That is a sweet looking baby girl!!
Spring will come soon enough and you and that pretty granddaughter will be sailing in style! :D

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:20 pm

Hi,
I do not know about others but there is one thing I really do not like in building my boat and that is sanding. Yesterday I sanded the cabin in the morning and another 2 hours in the afternoon and because of the lot of small places I had to do it mainly by hand with the exception of some use of the finger wide electric sander. This morning I still thought I will finish sanding the cabin today but then I spent a lot of time reading in my Practical Junk Rig book about the halyard because I actually planned to use a single part halyard. But my back was playing up again a bit last week, so I read everything about halyards with more parts and then I wanted to try the 3 part halyard and that is a weight I can still pull up easily. So no sanding today but rather halyard finalising.
The local pet pinguin Sunny did insist to lie on its usual place on the drive way lawn.
The top 2 panels are still a bit floppy but I hope this will disapear when the rigging is complete with the sheet and yard and luff hauling parrels. if not then it has to stay floppy and I put it down to a minor mistake I made in sewing the sail.

Greetings from Karl
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:02 pm

Karl,
I believe you can run a peak halyard to the after end of the gaff. This can be a loop that attaches through the middle of the gaff and the end and then down to the deck, or a variation of that. That should help firm up the leech at the top. As it is, I don't see that rigged.
Tony

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:58 pm

Karl, very nice sail but an excellent looking pup in front of it!! Jeff

Netpackrat
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Netpackrat » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:04 pm

gonandkarl wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:20 pm
I do not know about others but there is one thing I really do not like in building my boat and that is sanding.
I am pretty sure there is something fundamentally wrong with people who actually enjoy sanding.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:42 pm

I am pretty sure there is something fundamentally wrong with people who actually enjoy sanding.
I must admit that although I don't like it, I found it pretty amazing what you can accomplish if you have the patience. I think I used my whole lifetime's worth of patience up on that boat, though. :(
Anyway, now I know that if I really want to, I can make things look right. :D
Tony