AD 14 KIELGE

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Bogieman
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: AD 14 KIELGE

Post by Bogieman » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:09 pm

Karl,
She looks great! Love your choice of colors too. Can't wait to see more pictures once you're able to walk around her 360.

Bogie

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:09 pm

Hi,
I chose Egypt for the place to go because it only takes 4 hours to fly there on small plane seats which are murder for me and the sun is garanteed as well as the daily temperature which are around 25 Celsius ( 77 F ) and on top of it we have been there twice in a small place called Sharm el Sheik and had a beautiful stay with lots of coloured fish swimming around our feet when we swam in the sea. My wife sees it more pragmatic, she likes going there because she does not have to cook for us and only then she gets the feeling of retirement I enjoy already for 7 years ( meaning boat building is better than cooking :D ). This time we go to a place called Hurghada which also is at the Red Sea and I checked just now the night time temperature there at 23:00 pm is still 16 C ( 60 F ) that is exactly what I need to get out of the Austrian fog and depressing grey sky everyday here despite of some warnings that terrorists might attack tourists. I dont worry so much anymore about my life as I could be run over by a bus here just as well. I did worry when my kids were still small and I had the responsibilty to bring them up and therefore had life and accident insurances. Now my only looking forward to happy worry is not to sink my boat when it gets splashed in May.
Maybe I have wlan in the hotel then I can follow all your builds.
Greetings Karl
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:16 pm

Karl,
As you may remember, we were in Hurghada, at the nearby Abu Tig marina.
Here we are just offshore of Hurghada, anchored after sailing up the Red Sea and surviving a dust storm. We were happy to have the hook down!
Tony

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:48 pm

Karl it sounds like a good place to go warm up. I hope you have a great time.

Tony that picture shows how a true cruising boat looks, and two guys real happy to have the hook down.

I love this forum and having members from all over the world. You get to see and learn so much about this planet and not just boat building stuff :D I feel like I have made friends from all over, just have not meet some of them in person yet.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:28 pm

Tony that picture shows how a true cruising boat looks, and two guys real happy to have the hook down.
Yes, the sheets were stiff and full of grit, which was everywhere inside and outside the boat from the dust storm. The oil on the topsides is from Eritrea, not a particularly clean harbor. Very nice people, though. Once we had some time and access to running water we washed everything down, soaked the sheets, and cleaned the hull.
Tony

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:12 pm

Nice! Glad I jumped over to Bateau for a few minutes today to start to catch up. 8)

seaslug

Post by seaslug » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:20 pm

Karl, I don't know how I missed this post, but I see it now, and your boat came out absolutely beautiful. Don't know how you did it in such tight quarters, but a fine job for sure. Very well done my friend. I look forward to the sailing pictures in the spring. Mike

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:09 pm

Like Mike said that is one fine looking boat Karl :!: You should be proud :wink:

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:24 pm

Beautiful work Karl. 8) 8) 8)
Completed R13 two part nesting rowboat. ST 21 under construction .... where seeking perfection is recognized as the enemy of the good.

das boot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by das boot » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:59 pm

It Looks real good one thing I found with my boat the deck and cockpit are painted bright white on a sunny day it is all most to bright to look at after a while if I repaint it this spring I will use an off white for those big flat areas to get away from the glair