AD 14 KIELGE

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: AD 14 KIELGE

Post by cape man » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:40 am

That picture of the pipe is scary! So glad it didn't come loose on you and your son.

Build on!

The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:26 am

Yikes. That was a close one. Glad the son was able to make short work of that for you. Good kids seem to be a rare thing these days. Congratulations on raising a good one.

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:51 am

As I get older, the more I regret muscling things instead of using finesse. Muscling has lead to a number of problems as I get older. I had a girlfriend that use to love watching me throw hay bales into the barn loft. I miss that loft and those days! :wink: :lol:

Bogieman
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Bogieman » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:27 am

BB Sig wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:51 am
... I had a girlfriend that use to love watching me throw hay bales into the barn loft. I miss that loft and those days! :wink: :lol:
:lol:

Bogieman
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Bogieman » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:30 am

gonandkarl wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:15 am
Hi,
Here are all the pictures George sent me by email and I think they will not only help me but any Adelie builder with his pictures and explanations...

Thanks for sharing Karl.

Bogieman
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Bogieman » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:32 am

das boot wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:04 pm
I sent the pictures through to you Via Email they are in two emails dew to file size I do not know how to post them onto the site can you post them for me thanks
Thanks George.

das boot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by das boot » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:50 am

Glad to see you got that keel into place it was one of the hardest things to do while building my boat. You are making good headway on your project keep it up and you will be in the water in no time

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:22 am

Hi,
After the keel was in the boat I realized that my idea with having a thick nylon rope in the centreboard hole serving also as the hole for the locking cross pin does not work. The thick knot in the hole does not leave enough place for a proper pin to be pushed thru I managed only to get a thin screwdriver thru. So I decided to lift the boat as high as possible at the stern so the hole will appear under the boat and I can remove the nylon rope and use something like George or Bondo a strap or a thin steel rope only to find out that the centreboard did not come out under the boat completely because I hit the ceiling of the room with the push pits. This kept me busy the whole of yesterday and the last thing in the afternoon was demounting the push pits. To do that I had to unscrew 3 nuts inside each bunk. It is quite a task to get my slender body in there and on the PS I had to belly crawl a second time because I unscrewed in the corner a nut of the cleat instead of the push pit one. After this post I will try and lift the boat again in the ceiling direction to have access to the centreboards top. Should the stern of the boat still not be high enough then I will have to do it in the garden.

PS bunk accessible even with my body part that has the biggest circumference. On these pictures you can see already my next task after splashing. I will have to fair the ceilings and curves of the bunks and repaint them.

And for Bogie who wanted to see the inside of the boat to get an idea where his crew members can sleep are the following pictures.
One definitely can sleep in the 2 bunks because they are rather long. If I ever should sleep in there I would definitely sleep in the SB bunk because it is a bit curved and I always sleep on my right side and then my head would be near the main cabin. If I would want to sleep in the PS bunk the head would have to be at the transom end of the bunk and that I cannot imagine as preferable when my senile escape from bed at night is preceded by a belly crawl backwards.

Both bunks viewed from the cabin. You notice the boat is nicely vacuumed but my feet are still dirty.

View of the main cabin where you have a berth on each side but sleep a bit hard because there is only the floor.

Bogie I think your crew ( your children I assume ) will definitely have fun in an Adelie. My neighbors kids visit me often just to play with the dog and climb around in my boat.
Greetings from Karl
Last edited by gonandkarl on Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

Bogieman
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Bogieman » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:47 am

gonandkarl wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:22 am

...And for Bogie who wanted to see the inside of the boat to get an idea where his crew members can sleep are the following pictures.
One definitely can sleep in the 2 bunks because they are rather long. If I ever should sleep in there I would definitely sleep in the SB bunk because it is a bit curved and I always sleep on my right side and then my head would be near the main cabin. If I would want to sleep in the PS bunk the head would have to be at the transom end of the bunk and that I cannot imagine as preferable when my senile escape from bed at night is preceded by a bell crawl backwards...
:lol: Thanks Karl. Those pictures give real perspective. And the boat looks fantastic. You obviously spent a lot of time and effort faring and painting the inside. Looks like there's a lot of room in the cabin and inside the bunks.

I hope you solve your centerboard issue soon. Sounds like she knows you are close to being done with her so she's throwing one last fit. :lol:

The weather here has been cool, windy and rainy over the last week and a half. Not much progress on my end.

Bogie

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:55 am

Karl, that's going to be a fun boat for you to sail around in. I'm kind of wishing I had a "fun" boat for pleasure sailing to go along with the work boat Lil Bit really is.

One question I have regarding the bunks: how much of a cushion is needed do make the frames unnoticeable? The look to be about 3" out from the hull sides. I'd be temped to use a hammock for sleeping or some type of a panel to turn that space into storage (but I think that is a "bad idea" which is really the kind of idea I'm good at).

Kudos on letting the the little neighbors play on the boat. The world needs more "good neighbors" showing the next generations how to be civil.