AD 14 KIELGE

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: AD 14 KIELGE

Post by Jeff » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:43 am

Can't wait to see her sail Karl!!!! Jeff

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:54 am

That makes a lot of us Jeff! Not trying to rush the process but excited to see her under sail.

She is a beautiful boat as she is but the rigging will really bring out her beauty.

Bogieman
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bogieman » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:53 am

8)

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:31 am

Hi,
Did not post lately because I was too busy making my new hatch and as I have no more epoxy I made it rather strong out of spruce wood put together with screws and 3 cross supports and a flat top to stand on and I am busy painting it because in 5 days is splashing day and I do not want to sail with the cabin roof missing. It weighs 9 KG. In Winter I will make a nice hatch out of marine plywood, fibreglass and epoxy and again a camber on top. When we sail it for the first time I also want to close the cabin for the worst case of turning turtle. I watched Bondos video of raising the mast lots of times and I came to the conclusion even that my mast weighs dressed only 10 KG ( 22 pounds ) I cannot raise it like Bondo just walking up there and sticking the pole into the hole. I am too old , not strong enough and my balance is not any more the same as it was in my thirties. So my son was home last weekend put up the mast like Bondo within a minute and also unstepped it just as fast. He suggested I should just ask bystanders for help whenever I have to raise the mast or when I have to unstep it for going home. As I will mainly be sailing by myself I decided to go for shear legs for working with the mast as suggested by Hasler in his Practical Junk Rig book. First I wanted to use the boom and the yard as shear legs and when I tried these spars they came crashing down the sides because I had mounted small rings at the end of the spars and they were bent to hell and gone so they were useless and at the same time I noticed the sling plate of the yard I attached also with 2 small screws which would have brought my yard and sail down at the very first sail trial. I replaced it with a bow eye with 2 screws right through the yard and because the boom and yard version of shear legs was rather wobbly because they were attached only with rope I managed to raise the mast so so but that was the end of their shear leg existence. I made 2 proper 4 meter long spars which I mounted with strong machine bolts and today I could at last unstep the mast with a 2 to 1 purchase on top. The preparation took me hours but the unstepping was done in 2 minutes. Here is a picture of the shear legs and tomorrow I want to raise the mast and then pull up the sail with all the standing and running rigging including all parrels. I still have to make 2 euphroes for the sheet control before that.

Greetings from Karl
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:49 am

get video when you figure out how to do it all solo. 5 days... The world is watching!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:43 pm

Excellent solution to the problem.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:03 am

Very nice solution Karl. Blondie Hasler was an incredibly innovative blue water sailor. You've picked a great muse. :D
Completed R13 two part nesting rowboat. ST 21 under construction .... where seeking perfection is recognized as the enemy of the good.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:11 am

Agree with all, good solution Karl!! Soon!! Jeff

Bogieman
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bogieman » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:20 pm

Very nice, Karl. Everything you do is so well thought out. Boat looks beautiful in that pic.

Bogie

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:09 pm

Hi,
Today I painted the hatch for the last time and finally made my 2 euphroes for the junkrig. If you notice on the euphroes picture that the second wheels are skew this is on purpose that they are on different planes to prevent the spans from rubbing against each other.

Then I widened the mast hole at the partner to be able to adjust the rake of the mast which will be necessary for the junk rig.
And tomorrow I cut all the lines to size dress and mount the mast and set the sail with all lines.

Greetings from Karl
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433