AD16 Myrtle Beach

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Bogieman
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster
Posts: 691
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:20 pm
Location: Myrtle Beach

Re: AD16 Myrtle Beach

Post by Bogieman » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:02 am

Eric1 wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:38 am
Looking good! Have you considered buy a bag or two of shot for your lead?
It's common with us that reload shotshells.
Hi Eric! And thank you. The lead shot option is definitely worth investigating.



Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
Posts: 4448
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:23 am
Location: Kasilof, Alaska

Re: AD16 Myrtle Beach

Post by Fuzz » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:32 pm

If you go with the lead shot you might not even need to melt it. Just mix it up in an epoxy slurry and pour it.
Not sure it will work for you or not so I would do a test first. I did it that way when I wanted to add some weight to a plastic shot gun stock.

Bogieman
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster
Posts: 691
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:20 pm
Location: Myrtle Beach

Re: AD16 Myrtle Beach

Post by Bogieman » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:19 pm

Fuzz wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:32 pm
If you go with the lead shot you might not even need to melt it. Just mix it up in an epoxy slurry and pour it.
Not sure it will work for you or not so I would do a test first. I did it that way when I wanted to add some weight to a plastic shot gun stock.
Hello Fuzz! Yes, that is a great idea and it's the second option mentioned in the plans. The only negative is it won't be as dense as what the poured lead would be (120 lbs). But it wouldn't be a big worry if the shot / epoxy weighed less than that. A minimum of 60 lbs is needed in the keel to make it go down easily, but I'm sure it would weigh a lot more than that. Anyway, the remaining difference could be poured inside the hull as ballast.


Bogie

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Posts: 3388
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:59 am
Location: St Helena Island, SC

Re: AD16 Myrtle Beach

Post by Jaysen » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:45 pm

I don’t know what the plans say, but I’d think you could reduce the lost density by pouring smallish batches of epoxy+lead. Say 3oz mixed. Trick will be to figure out how much lead is covered by 3oz epoxy.

That looks great. Looking forward to seeing it come together.

Bogieman
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster
Posts: 691
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:20 pm
Location: Myrtle Beach

Re: AD16 Myrtle Beach

Post by Bogieman » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:02 pm

Jaysen wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:45 pm
I don’t know what the plans say, but I’d think you could reduce the lost density by pouring smallish batches of epoxy+lead. Say 3oz mixed. Trick will be to figure out how much lead is covered by 3oz epoxy.

That looks great. Looking forward to seeing it come together.
Thank you, Jaysen! That's not a bad idea.

Bogieman
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster
Posts: 691
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:20 pm
Location: Myrtle Beach

Re: AD16 Myrtle Beach

Post by Bogieman » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:28 pm

Here's where I'm at with my build. Sad isn't it? Now it's time to figure out the type of battery needed to run all the lighting etc and how / where to install everything... So it's really not a bad time for a little pause in the action. This is exactly where I'd planned to be at this point. Once that is figured out the flotation foam can be added.
Attachments
Tarp.jpg
Last edited by Bogieman on Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 4284
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:17 pm
Location: Vero Beach

Re: AD16 Myrtle Beach

Post by Jeff » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:01 pm

She looks peaceful under that tarp Bogie!!! Jeff

Bogieman
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster
Posts: 691
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:20 pm
Location: Myrtle Beach

Re: AD16 Myrtle Beach

Post by Bogieman » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:58 pm

Jeff wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:01 pm
She looks peaceful under that tarp Bogie!!! Jeff
:lol: Aye, but she's dreaming of rock'n and roll'n on the deep blue sea.

User avatar
OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster
Posts: 771
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:14 pm
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: AD16 Myrtle Beach

Post by OrangeQuest » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:02 pm

Bogieman while you are trying to figure how much battery you start by knowing what your daily electrical loads will be. There was a really good article I had found on it, but can't find here at work. You start by figuring the loads of all your electrical stuff and how much you will need/use it each 24 hour period.

Lets say you have a fan in the cabin and it will run 8 hours for every 24 hours and it draws 1 amp per hour. That is 8 amp hours. Then you have a radio that is on 24 hours and it draws 1 amp hour also so that's 24 amp hours and you keep listing them as you know what they are and at the end add it all up. For now you just add the 8 with the 24 and get 32 amp hours for every 24 hour period and lets say you want to stay out 2 days with no way to recharge your battery. That is 48 hours so your battery would need 64 amp hours capacity. And then lets say you don't want to drain it more than 50% before you recharge it. So you would need a battery capacity somw where around 128 amp hours. Hope all that makes sense but maybe Jaysen can explain it simpler than me or I am 100% wrong 8O and he can set you straight. But you can see why guys would want to have some recharging capability while sailing.

Bogieman
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster
Posts: 691
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:20 pm
Location: Myrtle Beach

Re: AD16 Myrtle Beach

Post by Bogieman » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:05 pm

OrangeQuest wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:02 pm
Bogieman while you are trying to figure how much battery you start by knowing what your daily electrical loads will be. There was a really good article I had found on it, but can't find here at work. You start by figuring the loads of all your electrical stuff and how much you will need/use it each 24 hour period.

Lets say you have a fan in the cabin and it will run 8 hours for every 24 hours and it draws 1 amp per hour. That is 8 amp hours. Then you have a radio that is on 24 hours and it draws 1 amp hour also so that's 24 amp hours and you keep listing them as you know what they are and at the end add it all up. For now you just add the 8 with the 24 and get 32 amp hours for every 24 hour period and lets say you want to stay out 2 days with no way to recharge your battery. That is 48 hours so your battery would need 64 amp hours capacity. And then lets say you don't want to drain it more than 50% before you recharge it. So you would need a battery capacity somw where around 128 amp hours. Hope all that makes sense but maybe Jaysen can explain it simpler than me or I am 100% wrong 8O and he can set you straight. But you can see why guys would want to have some recharging capability while sailing.
Thanks OQ! I really appreciate it, because I haven't a clue about this stuff. And I know that there will have to be a panel where all that stuff is turned on and off and I haven't a clue about that either. So. in a way it's a good time for my build to be at a stand still.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest