AD16 Myrtle Beach

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Bogieman
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: AD16 Myrtle Beach

Post by Bogieman » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:02 am

Eric1 wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:38 am
Looking good! Have you considered buy a bag or two of shot for your lead?
It's common with us that reload shotshells.
Hi Eric! And thank you. The lead shot option is definitely worth investigating.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:32 pm

If you go with the lead shot you might not even need to melt it. Just mix it up in an epoxy slurry and pour it.
Not sure it will work for you or not so I would do a test first. I did it that way when I wanted to add some weight to a plastic shot gun stock.

Bogieman
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bogieman » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:19 pm

Fuzz wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:32 pm
If you go with the lead shot you might not even need to melt it. Just mix it up in an epoxy slurry and pour it.
Not sure it will work for you or not so I would do a test first. I did it that way when I wanted to add some weight to a plastic shot gun stock.
Hello Fuzz! Yes, that is a great idea and it's the second option mentioned in the plans. The only negative is it won't be as dense as what the poured lead would be (120 lbs). But it wouldn't be a big worry if the shot / epoxy weighed less than that. A minimum of 60 lbs is needed in the keel to make it go down easily, but I'm sure it would weigh a lot more than that. Anyway, the remaining difference could be poured inside the hull as ballast.

Bogie

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:45 pm

I don’t know what the plans say, but I’d think you could reduce the lost density by pouring smallish batches of epoxy+lead. Say 3oz mixed. Trick will be to figure out how much lead is covered by 3oz epoxy.

That looks great. Looking forward to seeing it come together.

Bogieman
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bogieman » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:02 pm

Jaysen wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:45 pm
I don’t know what the plans say, but I’d think you could reduce the lost density by pouring smallish batches of epoxy+lead. Say 3oz mixed. Trick will be to figure out how much lead is covered by 3oz epoxy.

That looks great. Looking forward to seeing it come together.
Thank you, Jaysen! That's not a bad idea.