AD16 Myrtle Beach

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: AD16 Myrtle Beach

Post by Jaysen » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:51 pm

The story I heard is that shrouds on big ships (clippers) terminated on a chain that’s terminated on the chain plate. I don’t buy that as prior vessels still had to terminate shrouds on something.

Anywho... the chainplate ties the hull to the shrouds providing improved transference of the sail energy. That’s what I read anyway.

Jaysen wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm
I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:37 pm

Jaysen, your first explanation about chains is correct. The chains were at the lower terminus of the shrouds. Earlier vessels used just ropes alone.
The transfer of energy couldn't occur if the mast came down, which it would do if not for the shrouds.
Tony

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:07 am

Depends on the design of the rig, if chain plates are needed... Free standing, aft swept......

Chain plates are used for shrouds and stays. Can be used to support cleats and hardware on deck, they are used under the deck, to bring the load to a stronger support.
><((((º>¸.•´¯`•><((((º> ¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º> ¸.•´¯`•.><((((º>

Bogieman
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bogieman » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:13 pm

I finished painting the settee berths. It took more than a week (because of bad weather) to get three nice coats rolled on. No fairing material was used on the settees. I simply sanded the tape edges (several days worth of sanding) to remove any sharp spots and smoothed the edges close to flush. It is a workboat finish but a clean one.
port painted.jpg
stbd painted.jpg
Today I was able to get the seat tops glued down- FINALLY! Sort of feels like a moment because they were the last few BIG pieces needed to make her look like a completed boat. There are only a few pieces left to ad now (cabin hatch & trim/ mast partners/ 1x2s along the outside edge of the seat tops (lip to keep things from rolling / sliding overboard) / swing keel/ keel shoe/ skeg/ rudder.

Modifying the seat angles from the original plans has been a bit nerve racking but in the end I'm really glad I did it . Her lines still look really good to me. Here are a few pics from different angles. I had to get that crazy flamingo in at least one of the pics. One of the nice thing about building outdoors is not being limited as to what abgles/ distances pics can be taken.
profile 2.jpg
profile 1.jpg
flamingo.jpg
Next steps: fill in gaps around seat tops/ fiberglass tape seat edges to hull etc/ cover cabin deck and sides with 4oz woven cloth...

Still having a blast.

Bogie

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:26 pm

Damn they look great!! I do like white in compartments.

Still wish you would put a door or hatch between the cabin and deck lockers. I don't have any stories about deck hatches coming off and flooding the cabin durning a sunny, calm and beautiful day. :wink:
><((((º>¸.•´¯`•><((((º> ¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º> ¸.•´¯`•.><((((º>

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:31 pm

Boats looking good.
Question for you. What is that green stuff all over your yard :doh:

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:34 pm

Fuzz wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:31 pm
Boats looking good.
Snow-B-Gone

You can get it in latitudes that are hospitable to human life.
Jaysen wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm
I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:38 pm

Fuzz wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:31 pm
Boats looking good.
:lol: :lol: :lol: That really cracked me up!

Bogie your BOAT is looking really good from all angles, even with the green snow still on the ground. :lol: :lol: :lol:
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Bogieman
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bogieman » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:15 pm

Thanks Fellas. Can't wait to get at it again but it's dark out there now, so...guess I'll wait till tomorrow morning.

Fuzz, that darn grass of mine started taking off last week. I sorta cringed when I noticed it coming alive again because I knew the grass cutting season was back. So I cut it this morning before doing any work on the boat. :D . Pain in the butt

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:16 am

My two mowers. The big one makes the wife’s dog bark...........a lot.