AD 14 KIELGE

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
das boot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: AD 14 KIELGE

Post by das boot » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:24 pm

I am glad it is working out for you. Now you know why I put those sides om the cockpit area of my boat that is where I keep all my junk while out on the boat. So far I have not lost any thing over the side. I plan on getting my boat out for the first time this year in the next few days.

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:42 pm

Pattie says congratulations as well!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:21 am

This is great news Karl! I am sure you had the huge smile of yours on your face all day. I am very happy for you that you got the boat done and can now use it.

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:54 am

Hi,
Thanks to David Patty and Greig I love my sailboat and as I am still resting I am studying the How To's article of building a carbon fibre mast which I could lift by hand into the mast hole. I have made my 2 spars boom and yard according to this How To and they are as strong as steel bars. I am still in doubt if I should make it myself or buy a 6,20 metre long ready made carbon pipe for 600 Euros.
Greetings from Karl
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:47 am

I do not doubt the quality of your work but consider purchasing the manufactured mast.
1. The mast withstands enormous forces.
2. Commercial process will ensure proper ratios making the lightest product with the strongest outcome

I know €600 is significant cost but the risk associated with a self built mast might be too great. If you do build your own I’ll be cheering on the sidelines. It’s the kind of project I want to try.
Jaysen wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm
I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

topwater

Post by topwater » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:37 am

Congratulations Karl cant wait to see the video 8)
Novi 23 finally launched !

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:19 am

Hi,
Thank you John, I found another picture taken when I arrived at the lake for the first sail.

Greetings from Karl

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:08 pm

Beautiful Karl!!! Congratulations!!! Jeff

das boot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by das boot » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:27 pm

It looks real good Karl I finley got my boat out for the first time this year I covered 23.3 miles on the lake in 5.3 hours with the avg speed of 4.1 MPH not bad for the first trip of the year. The GPS is handy for tracking speed. On launching it took me only a few minits i winder if there is a different launch ram in your area that would work better on the ramps here i can get it in and out of the water and not even get a wet foot.If I do it properley. On the carbon mast I have the same problem raising it and lowering it if I have someone with me it is no problem but alone it is hard I need to get my mast bottom centered over the hole in the deck so it must be streight up and that is hard to do. If the deck were longer a person could get it started and then walk it up i have thought of doing something like you have i have a stub pipe that sticks out of the deck by around 3 inches i might be able to cut one side of it off and have something like you have. How dose that work?

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:22 am

Hi George,
Did you sail all this distance or use the motor a lot ?
Yes I lay the mast end exactly at the hole against my wooden contraption and tie a line from it to the mast shoe at the bottom of the boat in front of frame A. This makes sure that the mast end cannot get away from the hole. Here are the two pictures of mast partner and shoe again.

I will try in my driveway to walk my aluminium mast up the way you explained it with 2 long garden tool extension rods. When I get it right with them it would be much quicker than mounting the shear legs in a fixed position. It will definitely work easy with a carbon mast which I am pretty sure I will get.
Greetings from Karl