Hybird MF14

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Hybird MF14

Post by cape man » Fri May 22, 2020 6:00 am

That's a gorgeous fleet of boats! Where is that?

The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Chenier
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Chenier » Fri May 22, 2020 6:46 am

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Fri May 22, 2020 7:33 am

Beautiful photo!! Jeff

Chenier
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Chenier » Fri May 29, 2020 6:25 pm

Fiberglass tape is now applied to all the seams on the bottom and transom.

The picture doesn't show the daggerboard area well. I added tape around the sides of the daggerboard slot for extra reinforcement, inspired by what walkabout_slp did in his "MF14-Minnesota" build.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=62869&start=70

Alas, the pictures in that thread seem to have gone away and I forgot to take one.

Chenier
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Chenier » Fri May 29, 2020 6:27 pm

Then I draped fiberglass cloth over the whole bottom.

I had to add a fiberglass joint amidships. The Bill of Materials (in the build notes) calls for 5 yards of fiberglass cloth and that's what I ordered. Then, without thinking very hard, I chewed into those 5 yards to glass the inside of the daggerboard slot and the inside of the cockpit. The boat is 14 feet 5 inches long so there really isn't any spare cloth in those 5 yards. I got more cloth and overlapped the two pieces a couple of feet forward of the daggerboard slot.

Chenier
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Chenier » Fri May 29, 2020 6:30 pm

The boat is 48" wide and the fiberglass fabric is 50", so obviously we aren't going to be draping fabric down the sides of the boat. Beside, this boat already has glass fabric on the side - it doesn't need a second layer. So I decided to cut the cloth just short of the side.

I know from sad experience that letting an epoxy-filled brush or squeegee anywhere near the cut edge of fiberglass cloth results in an unholy mess of tangled fibers pulled loose from the fabric. So my first try was to wet the fabric down, wait a couple hours for the epoxy to start gelling, and then cut it freehand with scissors. Then pat it back down. That worked but it looked a bit like my dog chewed on the edge.

Next I put down masking tape along the line where I wanted the cut to be - under the fiberglass cloth that you want to cut away. Wet it down and wait for the glass to start gelling again.

Then cut along the edge of the tape with a sharp box knife. Pull up the tape and the waste cloth et voila!

The seam between the two fiberglass pieces goes across the bottom of the picture and you can see the cut edge going up to the bow on the left.

(Incidentally, the notes on the MF14 plans say to fiberglass both the bottom and the sides, while the build notes only mention the bottom. If one does both it's going to take a lot more than 5 yards of cloth!)

Chenier
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Chenier » Fri May 29, 2020 6:31 pm

Forgive me for I have sinned. I epoxied down some of the cloth in the morning, and then the day warmed up. Outgassing!

Interestingly, these bubbles went right through the 4oz cloth and inflated on the outside. It was a simple matter to knock them off with a bit of sandpaper. The adhesion of the cloth to the wood wasn't bothered at all.

Chenier
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Chenier » Fri May 29, 2020 6:34 pm

Yesterday I applied the first fill/fairing coat with a thin mix of phenolic microballoons. Remember earlier I said it got ugly in a hurry? Well, this coating brought to mind the expression "putting lipstick on a pig."

Today's second coat, with a thicker mix of microballoons, was much better. More like icing on the cake.

At least that looks like a reasonable boat bottom. Now it gets to cure for a while before sanding.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Fri May 29, 2020 6:37 pm

You lucky dog!! That was nice of the epoxy!! Very nice glass work!

Shouldn't take much fairing with the 4oz.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Chenier
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Chenier » Fri May 29, 2020 9:28 pm

OrangeQuest wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 6:37 pm
You lucky dog!! That was nice of the epoxy!! Very nice glass work!
Thanks. I'll take all the breaks I can get.
OrangeQuest wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 6:37 pm
Shouldn't take much fairing with the 4oz.
The 4oz isn't much of a problem. It's the 9oz tape at all the seams that really need fairing into the 4oz across the bottom.

And I'm really looking forward to avoiding a goat rope when I try to fair the 9oz tape on the sides - which are going to be finished bright and therefore can't use regular fairing mixes. Maybe I'll start reading Harry Potter to find a magic spell.