SB18 in the Philippines

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
lncc63
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: SB18 in the Philippines

Post by lncc63 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:05 am

Hi SCUBA. Please check out the forum at the Philippine Home Boatbuilder's Yacht Club. I'm sure you'll find everything you need ... actually a lot more than you'll want I'm afraid. Oh and you might be interested to hook up with the other builders in Bohol, I think there are two of them.

peter-curacao
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by peter-curacao » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:55 am

lncc63 wrote:Hi SCUBA. Please check out the forum at the Philippine Home Boatbuilder's Yacht Club.
Very cool site Image that powercat is enormous Image

lncc63
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by lncc63 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:15 pm

Quick update:

Got most of those glue battens in ... also added deck stringers like Robert and Greg, a few more to go then some other interior "fixtures" then I'll start finishing the interior.
ImageImage

Started making the rudder using the technique I saw Greg use.
ImageImage
Still a work in progress though.

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:37 pm

Louis, Thanks for the update and pictures. She is really looking good.
Completed: FL14, OD18

Mark Wilson
New Poster
New Poster

Future VG23 in the Philippines

Post by Mark Wilson » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:04 am

Hi incc, I am new to this, but i am interested in the VG23. I posed some questions in the forum an D2 Maine suggested i contaact this thread. My concerns were where i could purchase all the materials except wood here in the Philippines. I am really concerned about spars, rigging, sails, and hardware. I assume with a little searching i could find epoxy, paint ect in hardware stores. By the way I live just outside Del Monte plantation, Cagayan de Ore, Mindanao. thanks Mark Wilson

lncc63
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by lncc63 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:39 pm

Hi Mark. Come visit the http://www.pinoyboats.org - this is the website of the Philippine Home Boatbuilder's Yacht Club (PHBYC). There are active discussions on where you can get materials and equipment. The biggest problem is really getting a mast which is particularly true for the VG23. Currently, there is no VG23 in our fleet but one is under construction by a member here in Manila.

lncc63
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by lncc63 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:41 am

CB case, modified to also take the bulb keel, installed:

Aft view of the case which will stick out of the cockpit sole:
I made it stick out so I can make the top removable and so I'll have extra space to put the CB lifting tackle in. Should also make it easier to pound the CB loose when it gets stuck.

Inside view of the seats, not yet glued to the hull.
Notice I assembled them stitch and glue style which I think will make the seats stronger and make up for the 3-ply-only plywood I used. The thing is, I realized this only after I'd assembled them, that it is going to be harder to glue them to the hull ... nothing comes free afterall.

Doubler pads for the stanchion posts:

Hopefully, I'll have the bunks, seats (inner side only), and the aft bilge painted this Saturday, and maybe just maybe I'll have them glued by Sunday.

Oh by the way, sorry if the boat is a mess, was too lazy to clean up before taking the pictures.

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:12 pm

Nice. :)
lncc63 wrote:I made it stick out so I can make the top removable and so I'll have extra space to put the CB lifting tackle in. Should also make it easier to pound the CB loose when it gets stuck.
Sounds familiar. :D
Notice I assembled them (the seats) stitch and glue style which I think will make the seats stronger and make up for the 3-ply-only plywood I used. The thing is, I realized this only after I'd assembled them, that it is going to be harder to glue them to the hull ... nothing comes free afterall.
Can't you get in under the seats, once in place, and shape nice clean fillets?

I was going to say, *Nice job at building a small keelboat inside your SB18 berth*, but.... nah... :lol:
Oh by the way, sorry if the boat is a mess, was too lazy to clean up before taking the pictures.
Right... that's a mess???? I refuse to allow Bondo's AD14 pictures to set the bar for a clean build. He blows things out with a leaf blower before pictures! :lol:

lncc63
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by lncc63 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:29 pm

ks8 wrote:Can't you get in under the seats, once in place, and shape nice clean fillets?
A kid could do it no problem but I'm too many decades beyond that ... but yes that's why I said I made things harder :cry: ... should be a small adventure.
ks8 wrote:I was going to say, *Nice job at building a small keelboat inside your SB18 berth*, but.... nah... :lol:
There's another one in the starboard bunk :)
ks8 wrote:Right... that's a mess???? I refuse to allow Bondo's AD14 pictures to set the bar for a clean build. He blows things out with a leaf blower before pictures! :lol:
I'll aspire to his level but I sincerely doubt I'll ever make the grade.

lncc63
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by lncc63 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:00 am

Well the "adventure" did happen but man I'm still sore from it.

Next time I'm using the good stuff for the seats or even just using the next higher thickness rather than having to crawl around like that again.

Actually I'm not quite finished, notice the unpainted battens. Some touching up is also sorely needed. I'll let my neck muscles recuperate first.