SB18 in the Philippines

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: SB18 in the Philippines

Post by Larry B » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:27 am

Looking good Louis, man if that was me painting in there you would just have to just close it up and use me for floation :D :D

Completed: FL14, OD18

lncc63
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by lncc63 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:58 am

Hahaha ... the thing is I don't think you'd fit LarryB. Hey how's that boat of your's coming?

Tonight I made the mast step and cut the glass for it. I also started cleaning up the sheer glue joints but I need to use a router on it before I tape but that's a daytime-only operation. Finally, I fit the forward deck to find inspiration in the things to come.

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:38 pm

What a difference paint makes. Nice! :)

lncc63
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by lncc63 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:39 pm

Put the mast step in though I still have brush on a little more epoxy ...

Got a quarter of the cabin sole in as well as the cockpit sole

Robert Olson
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Robert Olson » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:42 pm

Louis,

Now I believe you can understand the difficulty of working the tight spaces inside the SB18. I'm a large person (6 feet tall and 275 pounds) and had to resort to hiring a young smaller student (140 pounds and 1/3 my age) from the wooden boat school in Port Townsend, Washington. That was most likely the smartest thing I have done since building the boat. The problem is that he graduated and went back to Texas.
As usual you are a very inventive person and I appreciate the way you have gone about your build. I suppose the old saying here " Necessity is the mother of invention" is very true. Best of luck and hurry up, get ahead of the rest of us so we can learn from your experiences.

Best of luck,
Robert

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:34 pm

It will take a lot of hustling to get ahead of you Robert. :lol: Aren't you just about ready to launch? :)

lncc63
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by lncc63 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:58 pm

Thanks again Robert for the encouragement. I get a lot of inspiration from our little community here.

Last night, I put masking tape along the edges of the cockpit sole and the seat sides so I got another good dose of "bonding time" with my boat. I'm only 5'5" and 160 lbs but it was still a challenge. With the temperature here now at 90F and humidity at probably 80%, I'm now very sure I need to put ventilators because after only a few minutes in the starboard bunk I had to get out and fetch an electric fan to blow some air inside. My idea here is rig 12 volt fans behind 6"-8" inspection ports on the seat sides near the end of each bunk. I was going to put wet lockers at the end of each seat but I gave up on that idea when I put in the seat top reinforcing battens. A small plastic tray lashed to the cockpit sole under the tiller should do for having a small anchor ready.

How's your build going Robert? I've been watching of updates almost everyday. Oh by the way, if you don't mind could you describe how you went about the spi pole? This is a step that I don't have a clear idea of how to do.

Robert Olson
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Robert Olson » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:17 pm

Louis,

I beleive the plans directions tell us to use a section of 3.05 ID PVC pipe as an insert for the Spi pole to slide thru. That is what I did but I extended the PVC on out of the side of the boat to just about the tip of the bow. I first used a long drill bit to put a pilot hole thru the small bulkhead and the side of the boat. I also purchased an 8 foot section of aluminum 3.0 OD tubing to use as an alignment tool and it will be my Spi pole when I finish the boat. Before I cut the hole in the boat, I used a section of the PVC pipe cut at the correct angle as a template. This took few trys before I was able to get it right. Then I strarted undersized and opened the hole until I could slide the section of PVC pipe thru the hole. Then I was able to bond the PVC pipe in place with the aluminum tubing in place as a guide. After this I had the PVC pipe to fillet against. I also put a section of pipe and two plywood doublers in the bulkhead aft of the Spi pole drain box to help support the Spi pole as it slides.
Before you close up the decks make sure you have the head stay u-bolt in place and the life line end supports in place. I forgot the end supports and now I'm going to have to put in an access panel in that small compartment.
The build is full of challenges and wish someone else had built one before me. Greg was ahead of us but I believe his circumstances slowed him down. I am not very good with the directions but I do hope this assists you in some way. As you are aware there is always a hundred ways to succeed.

Best of luck,
Robert

lncc63
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by lncc63 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:01 am

Thanks Robert. I'll work on those things this weekend though I may have to pick your brain a bit more. Good thing you mentioned the lifeline supports. I've not been thinking of them consciously.

Tonight I glued in the transom brace. I also cut the biax strips I'll use to tape the seat sides to the cockpit sole, , no tape here.

lncc63
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by lncc63 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:39 pm

Went sailing on Saturday. Our yacht club asked if the three CR13s would like to run in their monthly races along side the Hobie 16 ... something to think about. I did get some work on the SB18 in on Sunday.

Taped the cockpit sole to the transom as well as the transom support, everything with 2 layers of 400gsm biax.

Also got the cockpit sole taped to the seat sides:

Not really sure if it is called for but I'll probably put tape along the sheer. I have to go and buy the spi pole though.

I was thinking I'd need to touch up the bunk ceiling (underside of the seat tops) while laying on my back, not a pretty prospect. Now I realize I can do that when I flip the boat making it a lot easier. I'll touch up the bunks themselves while the boat is right side up.