SB18 in the Philippines

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
sngatlanta
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: SB18 in the Philippines

Post by sngatlanta » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:05 pm

Robert Olson wrote:Louis,

Greg was ahead of us but I believe his circumstances slowed him down.
No hold up here other than being out of town on a job for a few months. I just don’t check the forum anymore. We’ll be sailing her this spring. If you have questions I suggest an email through the board but don’t look for anything new on my threads or blog. I just got tired of that scene. Gone back to the simpler life, you’d be amazed how much time you have.

lncc63
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by lncc63 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:07 am

Great to hear it Greg.

Today I put in the starboard forward "quarter" of the cabin sole, sanded down the seats, and did the forestay reinforcement. Not much progress I know, been under the weather for awhile ... and to be completely honest, have taken on another project - a 17-foot trimaran :) ... my fishing boat, a GV17, is going to be pushed back a few months.

Tomorrow I'll put in the holes for the CB lifting tackle. As I mentioned earlier, and maybe under another topic, the tackle will be neatly tucked away inside the CB case. The CB case will have a removable top so I can get at the tackle if it needs servicing. I think I'll also add a web inside the case between its sides at the level of the cockpit sole so the removable cover does not need to take any transverse (?) compression loads. Still have to figure out a way to use this tackle to lift the bulb keel when using this option.

lncc63
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by lncc63 » Mon May 24, 2010 5:04 am

The southwest monsoon will start in a few weeks. Since my SB18 already suffer one monsoon, I figured I had better let her sit this coming one with a full coat of epoxy. So last Sunday as soon as the summer heat began to abate, I put the glass on the seats.

Next I'll put on the cockpit glass.

Still no spi pole, I've just not gotten myself to "waste" half of a building day to go and get it. Can someone suggest a way to do the front (forward deck and cabin roof) without having to put the spi pole just yet?

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B » Mon May 24, 2010 9:04 am

Louis, can't help with your question, but just wanted to say your boat is looking great :D
Completed: FL14, OD18

lncc63
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by lncc63 » Mon May 24, 2010 8:18 pm

Thanks Larry. With a little luck I should be able to offer you guys a ride the next time you guys visit here.

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B » Mon May 24, 2010 8:44 pm

Looking forward to it :D
Completed: FL14, OD18

Robert Olson
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Robert Olson » Tue May 25, 2010 11:15 am

Louis,
I used a section of PVC pipe that had a ID of 3.05 inches and built that into the Spin poles support box and thru the bulkheads that the Spin pole travels through. The Spin pole is 3.00 OD, the Spin pole slides right thru the PVC pipe. After you have finished the installation you may trim the PVC pipe to what ever length you desire. Then proceed with the completion of the deck and cabin top.
I realize you may not have the exact materials required but this may provide you with an idea :idea: . You are very inventive! Take a look at my photo page there maybe a picture that can help.

Best of Luck,
Robert

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 » Tue May 25, 2010 12:08 pm

Robert... a link to your photo page in your *signature* might be very convenient for many *browsers* of your posts. :D

lncc63
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by lncc63 » Wed May 26, 2010 9:11 pm

Oh I've been looking at your pictures Robert. They've definitely helped as well as inspired.

lncc63
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by lncc63 » Mon May 31, 2010 10:32 am

Started the roof.