Question before building an Adelie14 or 16

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Question before building an Adelie14 or 16

Post by gonandkarl » Thu May 09, 2013 3:10 pm

Right now I am building the FL12 as an exersize in boatbuilding.
But in my head all the questions are already about the Adelie14 or 16.
I have 3 Questions to AD14 or AD16 :
1. Is it possible to accomodate a porta potti in such a small sailing boat ? ( My wife wants this question cleared before I may order the plans. We are both at retirement age and would like to sail longer hours than our bladders last.)
2. Is it possible to build the mast with a tabernacle, where I can let it down because I will be passing under low bridges going from one lake to the next one ?
3. How long is the mast for the AD14/16 ?
Greetings from Austria

All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Question before building an Adelie14 or 16

Post by jacquesmm » Thu May 09, 2013 3:20 pm

gonandkarl wrote:Right now I am building the FL12 as an exersize in boatbuilding.
But in my head all the questions are already about the Adelie14 or 16.
I have 3 Questions to AD14 or AD16 :
1. Is it possible to accomodate a porta potti in such a small sailing boat ? ( My wife wants this question cleared before I may order the plans. We are both at retirement age and would like to sail longer hours than our bladders last.)
Yes but it will be used in the middle of the cabin, the boat is too small for a separate head (head = WC).

2. Is it possible to build the mast with a tabernacle, where I can let it down because I will be passing under low bridges going from one lake to the next one ?
Yes, it's possible but we don't show that on the plans. The plans show a keel stepped mast. I can give specifications for a deck mast step with mast post etc.

3. How long is the mast for the AD14/16 ?
Greetings from Austria
There are two rigs. The shortest rig has a mast 5 meters long , same for AD14 or 16.
BTW, such a short mast can be handled keel stepped by one person.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

bondo
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by bondo » Sat May 11, 2013 8:18 pm

I was going to store the portable head down here. Image

das boot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by das boot » Wed May 15, 2013 8:17 pm

I have the portable mounted through the floor in the cabin just to the left with a foot well in front of it the only thing to think about is the slope of the hatch bulkhead mount it far enough forward so you can sit up stright i have a drop in floor board that covers the foot well when not in use i put some reinforcement in place under it and to the keel box but no big deal to do

Stuff
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Stuff » Fri May 17, 2013 1:16 am

I don't know how capable needs to be your boat but you should consider the Vagabond 18 if you are going to be sailing on protected waters. It's only 2' longer than a AD 16 and it seems to be slightly harder to built. I wish I was able to do a varabond but I was not able to fit it in my garage with the trailer. I am happy with my decision and I am looking forward to see your project. The Vagabond 18 has plenty of space to put a potty and maybe a sink to wash your hands after you finish. :lol:
Just my two cents.
Stuff

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl » Fri May 17, 2013 1:31 am

Dear Jaques Merten and all other Boatbuilder collegues,

Thank You very much for Your helpful answers. Unfortuunatenly I will not be able to build the Vagabond 18 because it would also be too big for my garage. Right now it is still a tossup in my mind between ADELIE 14 or 16.

Greetings from Austria

Stuff
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Stuff » Fri May 17, 2013 12:40 pm

Always go with the bigger boat. Nobody ever wishes to have a smaller boat. AD16 is the way to go :D
Stuff

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee » Fri May 17, 2013 1:32 pm

The way I phrase it is "go with the smallest boat that will do everything you want to do". Smaller usually means less up front cost, easier maintenance, in the case of power boats- smaller engine and lower fuel consumption, in the case of sail boats- smaller and more easily tended sails, more maneuverable, can get in shallower/narrower water . . . less trailer and less towing power needed . . . The hard part is defining your wants/needs, both now and in the foreseeable future. How many people would you want/need to be able to carry comfortably?
Hank

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:05 am

Hallo Hank,
Thanks for Your advice to find out my requirements in the foreseeable future.
Therefore I have decided on an AD14. Small but big enough for 2 and performance in sailing is anyway low on my list.
Greetings from Karl ( Austria )